Pursuit of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: Call me nuts, but.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
...looking at that map, I can't help but think that this could lead to PoG games for other regions of the main map. If done properly, that could work extremely well, especially for the French and Russian fronts.

But that's not what makes me insane.

No, what does it is noticing how the map goes right to the border of the Russian front, and includes all the major locations in the area, and thinking how the other maps could easily be made to join up with it, assuming the system was designed from the start to allow seamless integration between the maps and the various decks.

So anyone else interested in a massive game of zoomed in PoG, with 5 maps, just like World in Flames?

I didn't think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi "Nuts, but"

pretty silly but I am getting a little sleepy.

Yeah, that is how it all started in world in flames. Just a little expansion. Then another, then another. I am still waiting for my copy of Antarctica in flames to arrive, with the penguin units.

But I don't think that PoG will go that far. There was not much fighting outside of Europe and the Ottoman empire in WWI. There was a bit of fighting in central Africa and the Japanese did occupy German colonies in the far East , but these fronts could not possibly justify another expansion. So I think that we are safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
rubberchicken wrote:
Hi "Nuts, but"

pretty silly but I am getting a little sleepy.

Don't worry. I'm expecting the first 6 replies to start off like that, some of which won't have any other text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:

Yeah, that is how it all started in world in flames. Just a little expansion. Then another, then another. I am still waiting for my copy of Antarctica in flames to arrive, with the penguin units.

I've never understood why some people object to expansions. Nobody's obliged to use 'em. Classic WIF would for instance work just fine for me. At least if I had the time, space and fellow players necessary to get WIF off the shelf.

Quote:

But I don't think that PoG will go that far. There was not much fighting outside of Europe and the Ottoman empire in WWI. There was a bit of fighting in central Africa and the Japanese did occupy German colonies in the far East , but these fronts could not possibly justify another expansion. So I think that we are safe.

The Ottoman Fronts is a stand-alone game. The PoG II label is simply a tribute to its source of inspiration and basic mechanics. Not at all analogous to the WIF publication 'salami tactics' - as someone once called that phenomenon.

BTW, there's also a PoG-style (to some degree or other) covering the valiant German campaign in East Africa in the works.

'To the Last Man!' is an upcoming card-driven game covering the Western Front, but mechanically it's an entirely different beast. Cards, for one, are used in quite a different manner.

Talking of PoG-style games, the system's also used in a design about the Spanish Civil War.

I personally think the system could work great for the Korean War (among other situations).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart cudahy
Australia
flag msg tools
You have to imagine what the designer was trying to achieve, yes?
SPi did sequels till the cows came home, some games you could see it coming but....
Gmt doesnt do that, we get similar games ( ie cardplay) but not the same game with a different map!
Thank god!
when I buy a game I want it all!
I am willing to do without the rest, meaning new maps, if the substance of the game I own keeps the promise I expected on buying it. You can keep sequels, find a good gamer and play again! cheers Stu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Stock
United States
Elsah
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, now that PoG2 (new name -- Pursuit of Glory) is officially on GMT's P500 list, I am already at work on the East Front version. Will the two link? Who knows -- I don't know if I have the energy for that, but I imagine someone will do it!! I also imagine someone will link Pursuit of Glory into the original Paths of Glory -- who knows....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Blair
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ameranth wrote:
So anyone else interested in a massive game of zoomed in PoG, with 5 maps, just like World in Flames?

Love the idea...

POG west Front, POG East front, and POG Near East.

But is this not Great War in Europe Deluxe? I've just played the grand campaign of that, and whilst moving armies point-to-point may have been less taxing than moving divisions from nex to hex, the 'feeling' of PoG was there as some of the event chits feel similar to the cards, and the game has Ted's evil out of supply sudden death rules!

That said, the idea of a monster game of those 3 fronts using the PoG system, with 3 decks of cards could be awesome.

However, I wouldn't want to play-test a game and work out the various combinations of a 3 seperate deck game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Stock
United States
Elsah
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed -- which is why I am loathe to test something as complex as even two interacting games. But someone will do so.

If any of you haven't yet seen my interview on Boardgamenews about Pursuit of Glory, here is the link:

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.