Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I received Pax Romana this past week. This was added to my collection in an ongoing attempt to collect (and play, hopefully!) games that relate to the subjects we are studying with our daughters in homeschool. Our 7yo, E-- is studying Roman History so this is a great one to play!

I played through Scenario I, The Pyrrhic War, once myself to get familiar with the rules. Then tonight I introduec E-- to the game. She, being the scholar of Roman history, took Rome and I was Pyrrhus, raking in the gold (not in this scenario!) to save the Greek colony of Tarentum.

Pyrrhus sailed from Macedonia and made straight for Capua. As his army of mercenaries appraoched Capua, they were met by an intercepting troop of stout Legions coming from Rome. There was a pitched battle in which Pyrrhus crushed the Roman forces and sent them scurrying back to Rome, licking their wounds. It was an easy thing after that to breach the walls of Capua and march into the little Roman town.

The Second Activation was also Greece. Rather than pursue the reduced forces in the city of Rome (and thus clinching a victory for Greece, perhaps), I decided to play a little bit lighter. I moved cavaly up to the port below Rome (Neapolis) as well as the galley (galley previous turn as a Minor Move). Then I brought up the Greek Light infantry to Bovianum. This created a wall of sorts hedging the Roman forces in the city.

The Third Activation was Rome (and had to be, since you can't have more than two in a row) and Emily used the Scenario Special Rule to raise two new legions.

The Fourth Activation was Roman. Emily advanced into Capua with her newly strengthened force from Rome, giving Pyrrhus a good shove out of the city. Then, with a Minor Move, she moved down her Cisalpine Legion along the coast to land on Italy's heel at Brundisium. She easily dispatched the garrison there and made her move on Tarentum. Rome, in this scenario, wins if it destroys or capture Tarentum.
There were no troops in Tarentum, an oversight on my part, of course. She easily breached the wall of the city and occupied it.

On the last Activation that Greece got, Pyrrhus made a half-hearted attempt to retake Tarentum which was repulsed. At this point, with no money in the scenario, there was no way to get back into the city and rebuild the walls. Alas, for E-, she didn't get her last Roman Activation. But since she had the game won after Greece's activation, she was OK with that!

I won't pretend the game was entirely smooth. I had to double check a few rules here and there. But E- was patient in looking at the charts that I showed her and she got the hang quickly of looking up the battle shifts. She really enjoyed the game and we are looking forward to moving on to Scenario II and playing the Punic Wars and beyond that, getting her two sisters into a nice full blown game we can play over a few days.

I thought Pyrrhus won and save Tarentum in the historical record, but Emily rewrote that history tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good session. 7yo and is studying Roman history? Wow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
mtlawson wrote:
Good session. 7yo and is studying Roman history? Wow!

Yeah, and she absolutely loves it! It's a simplified version, of course, but she knows all about the Republic and senators and consuls and the Punic Wars and Hannibal's elephants as well as Caesar and Cleopatra (G rated version).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
wow your daughter is going to be one scarily good gamer by the time she grows up. We have a couple "child prodigy" gamers in our group and they are pretty awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's one of the best benefits of having kids: built in gaming group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lea
United Kingdom
Leeds
County: West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
7yo and is studying Roman history? Wow!

That wouldn't be unusual in British schools, but then we were part of the Empire for 400 years. But I am impressed by the fact that you've got her playing Pax!

Many thanks for this report on a game I'm tempted to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Well, it's one of the best benefits of having kids: built in gaming group!

That's such a great story, Mark. I've found the same benefit by the way. My sons are both great gamers. Not only does it make them brighter by educating them in history and sharper because they are given agonizing decision, butit also teaches them good sportsmanship as well. I have a lot of friends that I love to game with, but these fellows are the best of all. My oldest son (now 19) is in Tallahassee now. I miss him. I look at games we play together that nobody else would play with me (at least ftf) and it's pretty sad. Hey, Thanksgiving is coming though, right? And holidays too...

Phew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.