United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any value in the gate. Why wait to move your piece to an open building when you could take it instead of placing on the gate.

I think I'm missing something here...help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be useful to wait and see whaty the provost is likely to do before taking a building near to him.

It can also be useful as a "threat". If you have a whole load of cubes, and you go in the gate, you are threatening to go to the castle, and you may put off your opponents from going there, if they're not going to be best builder.

If you successfully put everyone else off going, you can go in and pay 1 batch, then go in again next turn.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Pasquinelli
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It can be useful to wait and see whaty the provost is likely to do before taking a building near to him.

the gate is activated before the provost moves so this is not possible

i think the gate is usefull only in a 2 player game to hide your true intentions or to wait and see the other player strategy before placing your worker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pasquy wrote:
Quote:

It is not possible to do so with full certainty... But you might have some clues (for example, the person who has the provost has place a worker on a building that requires the provost to move forward, or stay in his place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Pasquinelli
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the person who has the provost has place a worker on a building that requires the provost to move forward, or stay in his place.

i don't get it. Do you mean the first player which can move the provost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
pasquy wrote:
Quote:
It can be useful to wait and see what the provost is likely to do before taking a building near to him.

i think the gate is usefull only in a 2 player game to hide your true intentions or to wait and see the other player strategy before placing your worker

If someone has placed a worker on the "move the provost 3 spaces for free" square, and they have also placed a worker on a building which is a space or two past the provost, then you can be sure that they will try everything to move the provost forward.

So ... you can safely move from the gate and take a building near the provost, knowing that you won't be the only one interested in keeping him forward.

Once all the worker placing is done, you have a better which people have the money to move him, and in which direction he is likely to move.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conversely, the person on the 'Move Provost 3 spaces' square can use the gate to keep his or her intentions secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2-player games, the gate is extremely powerful when used to control distribution of castle building favors. Except for the dungeon phase and early wall phase, when players only have enough cubes for 1 or 2 batches - you want to be first during this period, the player going last to the castle can either 1) get the favor with 1 batch if the other player does not go to the castle, or 2) force the other player to pay more to ensure the favor, and then he pays just 1 batch and achieves a huge cube lead, or 3) come over the top with even more cubes to steal the favor, usually at a critical time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played caylus that much. But it seems to me that the gate, the inn and turn order have a lot to do with each other. u can go to the gate and pass on your next turn creates a economy for other players. At which point the gate player on their turn can potentially make some huge plays, depending of course what's open.

move to the provost if advantageous, move to the turn order, move to the start position...or maybe just pick another open building or the castle(as a last resort). Regardless of where, you have option of making a move without the other players being able to counter.

the player who's won 'second' most when we have played caylus often makes good use of the gate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
darlok wrote:
I haven't played caylus that much. But it seems to me that the gate, the inn and turn order have a lot to do with each other. u can go to the gate and pass on your next turn creates a economy for other players. At which point the gate player on their turn can potentially make some huge plays, depending of course what's open.

This is bad use of the Gate as it would have been just as good, if not better, to just go to the good open spots directly before passing.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely nothing!

Say it again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/98864

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Sullivan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p38_Lightning wrote:
I don't see any value in the gate. Why wait to move your piece to an open building when you could take it instead of placing on the gate.

I think I'm missing something here...help.

I LOVE the gate but it took me a couple dozen games before I realized what good it did.

I use it PRIMARILY to go last to the castle if I have the most cubes. It guarantees I go last plus it really annoys everyone from going to the castle KNOWING they'll be outbid. However, if they don't go, then they let me in there and I could build just one house. NICE.

I use it when I don't know what's going on with the provost yet. I don't know what's safe so I go to the gate and pick later (for instance, if no one goes to provost, I can safely play somewhere like the gold mine or something), if they do go to the provost, I'll just go to the quarry or whatever.

I use it also when I have a ton of buildings on the board and I'd like to give the chance for others to go there before i do.

I use it also to make sure I'm LAST to play in order to be able to move the provost. It's not a bad place to put a worker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.