United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first few games, the Inn has proven to be the key location in the game. That said, this strategy arose...

At the start of a turn, player X is at the Inn on the right position getting to place all workers for $1. To make sure that he has this ability next turn, Player X places a worker in the left circle of the Inn as well (paying $1 to place the worker). When the building is resolved he slides the left worker over and removes the right.

Is that a legal move? May the same player have two workers at the Inn?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I am aware, yes.

All the rules say is that the player that placed the worker moves his guy to the right, and the guy on the right goes home.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we play that you can do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
p38_Lightning wrote:

At the start of a turn, player X is at the Inn on the right position getting to place all workers for $1. To make sure that he has this ability next turn, Player X places a worker in the left circle of the Inn as well (paying $1 to place the worker). When the building is resolved he slides the left worker over and removes the right.

Is that a legal move? May the same player have two workers at the Inn?

Perfectly legal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's perfectly legal and I've seen it happen plenty of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Sullivan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, it's totally legal but i'd recommend against it. Make someone else waste a worker and some money to boot you off. Otherwise you're tying up TWO workers which is horrible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Stewart
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Barney wrote:
yeah, it's totally legal but i'd recommend against it. Make someone else waste a worker and some money to boot you off. Otherwise you're tying up TWO workers which is horrible

You get one of them back. Also, you could be, in theory, using it to a) block someone else from getting it or b) keeping it and not passing, thus giving yourself bettter potential provost order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Sullivan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
your first point isn't so good cuz you could only MAYBE be preventing someone else from taking it. Thus, there's a chance you are wasting money and a worker (and you only get the worker back after, so you are indeed tying up two workers).

But your second point is valid. If you have nowhere else better and you'd really like to be last in the provost order then for sure, it's a decent place to park a worker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Brown
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p38_Lightning wrote:

At the start of a turn, player X is at the Inn on the right position getting to place all workers for $1.
Thanks!

Maybe I'm reading your original post incorrectly, but the issue here may be that you're putting too much value on the inn. The inn just earns you an extra $1 each turn - it does not allow you to place all workers for $1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the rules again. The inn does not earn $1.
That's an interesting variant, tho........laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
p38_Lightning wrote:
In my first few games, the Inn has proven to be the key location in the game.

Interesting. In our 4-5 player games, the Inn is occupied the entire game. However, maybe three times during the game does it actually come into play. The detriment of having one less worker (since it is in the Inn) usually affects the game more frequently than the Inn bonus! Every time we play, we discuss how we think it is a waste of a worker, but someone still goes for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the second half of a game with fewer players the Inn can be useful, particularly if you are late in the turn order.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian schaffran
United States
newburgh heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
while we're on the topic of the inn... (i realize i'm about 6 months late on this discussion) -can i take BACK my worker that is on the inn so that i can place him somewhere else next turn, leaving the inn unoccupied for someone else to start on the "waiting" spot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
But please don't call me Jerry.
badge
At one time, I didn't really like Power Grid so Ted made my piece a Power Grid piece.
mbmbmbmbmb
baronsmear wrote:
while we're on the topic of the inn... (i realize i'm about 6 months late on this discussion) -can i take BACK my worker that is on the inn so that i can place him somewhere else next turn, leaving the inn unoccupied for someone else to start on the "waiting" spot?

When the inn is activated (ie, after you've placed all your workers and you've gone through the first five buildings), a player who has a worker on the inn, even if not forced out, may choose to remove the occupied space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian schaffran
United States
newburgh heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
thank you, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Inn is a mysterious beast. It is interesting to compare it to the Gate. The usefulness of the Inn is immediately apparent, while it takes many plays to understand the usefulness of the Gate. With experience, it eventually becomes clear what the Gate is for and when is the right time to use it. However, knowing the right time to use the Inn seems much harder to grasp even after many plays. It is often a gamble to use it and the important thing to consider is how much you are risking.

I second the notion about the Inn more commonly bringing harm to its user than benefit. But if you can hit its "sweet spot" just right, all it takes is one special turn for it to pay off hugely.

It is clear that the Inn is best when you have money and your opponents don't. But how can you hold on to this money lead long enough? Is at least one opponent going to remain broke long enough?

The Inn is devalued for you when you have built a lot of buildings that are useful to you, since you can use those for $1 anyway.

I tend to use the Inn early in the game when I see that another player is likely to go broke and I am trying to pass last for better provost control. (Early in the game the Inn is less risky because you aren't likely to need all 6 workers then anyway.) Then, when new buildings become accessible, I'll see if any other player goes broke. If this happens, I'll keep the Inn. If not, I'll bail.

I'll hypothesize that the Inn sees more use in games when skill levels are mixed. Typically the experienced player will take it when he sees an inexperienced player bankrupting himself. In a game with all players having moderate to high levels of skill, total bankruptcy in any single player is much less common and the Inn becomes a less attractive gamble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.