Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife got an mp3 player for her birthday (Creative Zen Vision: M) and I wanted to get her a gift certificate to one of those 99 cent music stores. However I'm trying to find one that does strait mp3s, without all the crippling restrictions on the files. Are there any out there? I want these files to be playable 40 years from now on the zillionth device we own between now and then. I dislike the idea of music as a consumable and she's not a details person so having her have to keep track of where this or that song has been transfered to sounds like a nightmare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Lamontagne
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no way out.

I replugged my old iMac G3 to be able to use my MP3 player from my original CD tracks.
Don't even consider a iPod.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
I want these files to be playable 40 years from now on the zillionth device we own between now and then.

Unlikely. There's gotta be something that sounds better than MP3 that will replace it once bandwidth and mass storage will not require that much compression... flash is getting cheapo and the broadband / DSL / VOIP wars is making bandwith leap. We'll see no need for MP3 soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I only know of allofmp3.com but it's of questionable legality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like emusic.com. No DRM, but their selection is somewhat limited to the not-so-mainstream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travistdale wrote:
I like emusic.com. No DRM, but their selection is somewhat limited to the not-so-mainstream.

I found enough good music on emusic.com to keep a membership for 3 or 4 months, then I cancelled. I think it was worth it, considering they gave a bunch a free songs for signing up. You can find good bands if you like older stuff ('70s and '80s -- even '50s like Chuck Berry)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Fortin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the www.emusic.com recommendation.

I also highly recommend www.magnatune.com. It's full of less known artists but you can listen to the entire album before buying it. I found very good ones there (Ahsas from Solace and Nectar from Kitka, for example). They also have an acceptable classical selection. And, if the MP3's (bad) quality scares you, you can download in WAV or FLAC lossless formats. They are not evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.