Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
86 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Geekdo» Forums » News

Subject: 2014 Golden Geek Awards - Nominations open! For Board Games, RPGs and Video Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Golden_Geek_Awards [+] [View All]
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I am excited to announce that Golden Geek nominations for the Best Games of 2014 are now open!

The Golden Geek Award is given annually to the best new games of the year, as selected by you, the users. The "Geekies" will be given in the following categories:

For Board Games
---------------
- Board Game of The Year (see below for changes to the process)
- Best Strategy Game
- Best Abstract Game
- Best Thematic Game
- Best Family Game
- Best Wargame
- Best 2-player Game
- Best Party Game
- Best Children's Game
- Best Card Game
- Best Artwork/Presentation
- Best Expansion
- Best Print & Play (New Rules See Below!)
- Most Innovative
- Best Solo Game (New Category)
- Best Podcast (New Category)

The Board Game of the Year will be nominated during the initial period - this will bring it into line with the other domains (RPGG & VGG)

There is a new rule for the Print & Play category - the nominees for this category may not be a title that has been, in the process of, or announcement of it being published or crowdfunded during the award period.

For RPGs
--------
- RPG Game of the Year
- Best Artwork & Presentation
- Best Supplement
- Best Podcast

For Video Games
---------------
- Video Game of the Year
- Best Visuals/Artwork
- Best Indie Game
- Best Mobile/Handheld Game
- Most Innovative Game

Here are the specifics:

In order to avoid voter fraud, we have adopted the following restrictions. Voting is restricted to either supporting users (having a supporter badge from any year is sufficient),voters who pay a one-time 20 GeekGold fee, or users who have purchased an avatar or a geekbadge.

Anyone caught stuffing the ballot box will have their votes removed and be suspended from the site.

There will be two steps to selecting the winners.

First, there will be a nomination phase. Each eligible voter can nominate up to 10 items in each of the categories. The 10 items with the most nominations in each category will become the nominees for the final voting. You are not restricted to the list of suggested nominees.

I have recorded a tutorial video for using this system.

The board game nomination page is here.
The RPG nomination page is here.
The video game nomination page is here.

The final voting will be resolved using a condorcet voting system - specifically the Schulze method. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method

For those who don't want to read the specifics of the system, users will rank the games in each category from 1 to 10, (with a 0 for no opinion), and, through some mathemagical computations, we will select the winner.

The nomination phase will run until 12am midnight CST 2/8 and the final voting for 2 more weeks - 2/22. The winners will be announced shortly afterwards.

You are welcome to campaign, discuss voting and nominations, etc, as much as you like. Let the awards begin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
Murfressboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
Question: Ticket to Ride 10th came out this year, but does it really count as a 2014 game? I would think using that logic any re-implementation of a game would qualify.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Still no award for Board Game Podcasts?

Why do RPGs have this distinction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Anyone caught stuffing the ballot box will have their votes removed and be suspended from the site.

I take the admonition very seriously. But at the same time, I am baffled that anyone would even consider trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony W
United States
Long Beach, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
no children's game came out last year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
iGotGame wrote:

2014 was a tough year for the little ones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Hsart wrote:
Question: Ticket to Ride 10th came out this year, but does it really count as a 2014 game? I would think using that logic any re-implementation of a game would qualify.

Thoughts?

Reimplementations have always been valid - War of the Ring has been nominated a couple different times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
iGotGame wrote:

The subdomain filter for Children's Games are woefully neglected - we're in need of a tool to help classify domain-less games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Prior
United Kingdom
Southsea
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh bloody hell, I read that as "sniffing" which really confused me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
explanation does not equal excuse
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:

yeah, what the what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Solo Game category has been added! Enjoy all you soloers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlier tonight I was searching the geek when it's time for this. Now I should go to bed and I found it... bad timing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There is a new rule for the Print & Play category - the nominees for this category may not be a title that has been, in the process of, or announcement of it being published or crowdfunded during the award period.

What is the award period? 2014? Or, now until when winners have been declared? Both?

Is the restriction applicable to the "having been, in the processed of, or the announcement" of publication/crowdfunding during the award period, or actual "publication/crowdfunding" during the award period? Both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
applauding the new restrictions on PnP games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:
Quote:

What is the award period? 2014? Or, now until when winners have been declared? Both?

Is the restriction applicable to the "having been, in the processed of, or the announcement" of publication/crowdfunding during the award period, or actual "publication/crowdfunding" during the award period? Both?

The spirit of the rule is to disallow games from being nominated that have been produced or announced as commercial products until the award is given out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
edige23 wrote:
polychrotid wrote:

yeah, what the what?

Yeah - this is odd to me as well. It makes no sense. And, unfortunately, it means that the podcast category either doesn't get any attention, or the BGG podcasts drown out the much smaller niche RPG podcasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Solo Game category has been added! Enjoy all you soloers!

That's a good initiative. Solo gaming is hot, more than ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Aldie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Auntie
badge
说了又不听,听了又不懂,不懂又不问,问了又不做,做了又做错,错了又不认,认了又不改,改了又不服,不服又不说,那你要我怎麽办?
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we allowed to nominate our own board game design? blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Can't find Mascarade Expansion for expansion nomination, is it ok to add and nominated?
What about game like Coconuts that says 2013 on bgg page?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it might be interesting to see who gets nominated for board game podcast, if you really think any podcast could possibly beat The Dice Tower, you're deluding yourself. I think they have an order of magnitude more subscribers than anyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
While it might be interesting to see who gets nominated for board game podcast, if you really think any podcast could possibly beat The Dice Tower, you're deluding yourself. I think they have an order of magnitude more subscribers than anyone else.

Agreed. However, on the RPG side, previous winners are no longer eligible. So The Dice Tower wins year one, but then next year, it is much more wide open.

Just because one podcast has a bigger following does not explain the lack of the category. It seems like a deliberate omission, but without explanation. The same thing came up last year as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall that the lack of a Board Game Podcast Award was discussed last year (if not also the year before). And I note that Aldie replied to a lot of early comments with his explanations or notes, but didn't address that.

If previous winners are ineligible, then it does seem like it's a great thing... let Dice Tower win, and hey, they deserve it--I expect a lot of podcasters were influenced by them. Then next year we have a real contest.

[Edit: provide context]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:

Well, you could argue that if there is never a category for this, we would never truly know the answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.