Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
scottwendy wrote:

My wife and I have been playing this more frequently of late. Aside from the fact that she always wins, I have one frustration. Most of the times we have played, within a few turns of the end, we know who has won and it's just a matter of waiting for the correct card, purchase, etc to happen.

Something else we have noticed is that we never get to the last 5 or so cards. The game always ends before they get added to the sector decks.

These are related. When a game is closer more cards will get cycled in. In my experience the game needs no fixing...perhaps you need to change how you play?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried some of the missions that Klaus Teuber created? They should alter the dynamics. (You can find them from the Links section for this game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar Doiron
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argus Panoptes wrote:
Have you tried some of the missions that Klaus Teuber created? They should alter the dynamics. (You can find them from the Links section for this game.)

I printed these out the other day, can't wait tro try them out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
scottwendy wrote:
I doubt it's the way either of us play. Starfarers of Catan has the same problem.

The reason I said that is because you say she always wins, which suggests that you may not be playing as well as she is. If you bring your performance to be closer to hers then the game will be extended, bringing in more cards, and result in the winner not being decided until the final turn or two.

I agree that Starfarers has the same problem, however the problem is in the players and not in the game. If everyone playing Starfarers recognize the relative importance of the different options you experience fewer runaway leader games.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Octavian wrote:
The reason I said that is because you say she always wins, which suggests that you may not be playing as well as she is. If you bring your performance to be closer to hers then the game will be extended, bringing in more cards, and result in the winner not being decided until the final turn or two.

FWIW, I have never dipped into the last set of replacement cards even in my close matches. There are enough points in adventures and module upgrades; if these are avoided in favor of things like eliminating pirates and finding even more colony ships, then that will result in more cards coming out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Glesser

Fullerton
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I had the same problem. Our fix was to change the winning condition to 12 Victory Points. As there are only 22 in the game, there is a potential for a tie (though we have never had one) and it makes the endgame incredibly tense. We finally get to see all of the level 4 cards. The extra 20 minutes it adds to the game has been worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.