brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Creature info is up on the blog at http://blog.battlelore.com/

We learn that creatures get their own banner to distinguish them in battle. In order to get on on your side (if it is not already called for in the scenario set-up), is to spend on Lore Master Level Token. So when your creature dies, you will presumably be short one Lore Master level the rest of the game.

In order to hit the creature, you roll your normal dice. Any dice rolled that match the creatures banner are then re-rolled to see if you make a critical hit. A critical hit is a 2nd match of the creatures banner in which it is immediately eliminated. Onve eliminated, you get the banner as a victory point and can collect a lore token.

Creatures can be ordered "out of section" for a cost of 3 lore tokens. So if you have an Order 2 units left card, you can order the creature in your right wing for an additional 3 lore tokens and then have one order left for a Left unit.

Creatures will have special abilities that are triggered by dice rolls. You can also "power-up" your lore rolls and save them for a future attack on the same unit - if the creature doesn't die before then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianMola wrote:

In order to hit the creature, you roll your normal dice. Any dice rolled that match the creatures banner are then re-rolled to see if you make a critical hit. A critical hit is a 2nd match of the creatures banner in which it is immediately eliminated. Onve eliminated, you get the banner as a victory point and can collect a lore token.

Not quite. Any hit on the initial roll can be rerolled - depending on the attacking unit that may be more than just the creature's banner color. Only the creature's banner color is eligible to count on the reroll, however.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Octavian wrote:
BrianMola wrote:

Not quite. Any hit on the initial roll can be rerolled - depending on the attacking unit that may be more than just the creature's banner color. Only the creature's banner color is eligible to count on the reroll, however.

-MMM

Good catch. A few of us read it the other way - that only banners hit. But you are correct, the first roll can be any hit. 2nd hit has to match the banner color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karington Hess
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate spidersgoogoo... and I know my girlfriend will use the spider against me... do you think if i use the hill giantmeeple...I can squash this evil incarnate of 8-legged disgustingnessgulp? again... evil arachnids... well they scare mewow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the Creatures add an interesting strategic decision which has been mentioned, but not really discussed: trying to determine which creature(s) you want to give up a Lore Master Level for.

One way to look at the creatures is as a permanent Lore Card Ability... one that requires the right Command Card to use "cheaply" instead of the right Lore Master to use "cheaply" (since both take 3 Lore Tokens to use "expensively"). The fact that the price is the same I'm sure is NOT coincidence... it really makes a person look at the abilities for each creature (and Lore Master) and determine what is a better fit.

For example, the Spider gives you a very mobile creature that can slow down units and make them easier to hit (either "temporarily" with Web or "permanently" with Poison... although I would be shocked if the Cleric didn't have some sort of "remove all status ailments from a unit" card). The Spider is clearly more of a support unit; it doesn't do tons of damage itself, but combine Web and Poison with good unit management... and the effect can be outstanding. Of course, trying to get both melee units AND the spider adjacent to an enemy unit will be difficult... especially with the dangers of trample.

Because of the need for the right Command Cards, it would seem that choosing a high-level Commander would be the obvious compliment to choosing to have one (or more) creature(s). Having a better chance of getting Command Cards that will apply to your creature(s) seems like the easy strategy... especially when you consider the Lore rolled when the creature attacks should probably go to the Creature's lore pile rather than your goblet AND you'll need to save your own Lore Tokens to play the Lore Abilities/Spells that would be more expensive or less effective (since you now have an additional Level 0 Lore Master or a lower level Lore Master).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
To add to that, while translating the French Blog replies, creatures can also be light, medium or heavy (green, blue or red).

If you spend 1/2/3 Lore Master Level Tokens on your creature you get a green/blue/red creature that attacks with 2/3/4 dice. So you could sacrifice alot of Lore Masters to make one VERY nasty little spider.

Not sure how this works in conjunction with the other creatures (ie - can you spend 3 LMLT and get a blue and a green creature, do some creatures roll 3/4/5 dice instaed?, etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think it has been mentioned that you can have multiple creatures on your side so theoretically, you could have all creatures in leiu of any Lore Masters.

I had not heard that you go upgrade a spider from 1 level to the next and it seems that the summary card would preclude this upgrade. Maybe what they meant was that Red creatures roll X amount of dice, Blue y, and Green Z but didn't necessarily mean you could go from one to the next. Looking at the samples of the Hill Giant and Earth Elemental, it only looks like they come with a couple cards - one to explain the terrain and one to explain the creature for sure (not sure if there are duplicates so both sides can have a reference or not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Just telling ya what the DOW guy said on the French Blog replies. Seemed a bit odd to me too. Hopefully, they'll be a card for all 3 types of creature (light/medium/heavy).

We shall see though.

But NOT SOON ENOUGH. ARG, 30th of November ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HEY! This game gonna come with a carrying case???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BradyLS wrote:
HEY! This game gonna come with a carrying case???

Not initially. Everything in the base game fits in plastic trays within the original game box.

Once they get going with expansions though, seems like they might head in that direction. Especially if they can engineer the Memoir 44 case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the picture it looks like the case is well-designed to hold everything in the base set. I agree that after a number of expansions and blister packs have been released, some kind of case would be a good idea. Then again, I am used to buying compartment organizers for games like Mage Knight, Heroscape and Commands and Colors: Ancients, so it is not a big deal for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a side comment...

A lot of people talk about the strategic importance about choosing your force and loremasters.

However, the game is scenario driven (for the time being anyway, since no unit costs exist), and the biggest lot of the desicions you discuss here will be ordered by the various scenarios.

Let's hope the 10 scenario "campaign" is a good one and that Days of Wonder comes with a plan to provide us with a scenario or two every month like LBG does for their Sergeants line. One or two DECENT and BALANCED scenarios.

We know that the gameplay is good from the previous incarnations om Mr. Borg's system, don't we?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Well, we know that 2 of the senarios will have NO lore stuff in them (the 2 historical ones).

Of the 8 that do, at least a few are supposed to just tell you how many levels you have available and then they let you spend them how you want to. Depending on how the system works, you can probably redo some of the senarios that DO tell you hoew to allocate your Lore Master Levels with your own distribution ofoth eappropriate number of levels.

But, of course, new senarios are always a plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning the creature aspect, maybe in future scenarios the number of possible creature choices will be limited just for balance.

Moreover, if you can field a creature just because you happen to own it and the other player doesn't own it, then this will not be good for the game. Either the creatures will not be very different from each other or very powerfull in general, or you will have a "rich kid in the block" symptom.

For some reason, a lot of people look to this game as an alternative for Fantasy miniature games.

Memmoir '44 is not an alternative for A&A minis for example. Why battlelore should be something like that for fantasy miniature games?

I like miniature games and i really like cheap and easy to play miniature games. I have always tried to come with campaigns and linked scenarios and almost always, failed.

Now battlelore comes with ready made scenarios nad maybe linked scenarios and a campaign system in the future. That's what i would like to see, not WHFB and battles armies with the same composition just because you either own these figures or because this combination of forces is better.

For this niche i have Battleground:Fantasy Warfare and i am really happy with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Goodwin
United States
Grayslake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ZiNOS wrote:
Concerning the creature aspect, maybe in future scenarios the number of possible creature choices will be limited just for balance.

Moreover, if you can field a creature just because you happen to own it and the other player doesn't own it, then this will not be good for the game. Either the creatures will not be very different from each other or very powerfull in general, or you will have a "rich kid in the block" symptom.

From what I can gather, if some one brings a creature, only one of any type is available for a scenario (so if we both have a Hill Giant, we only need one) and both players can take a shot a getting any creature available. So if there I have a Hill Giant and you don't, when we play, you can get it if you pay the lore level token cost first.

At least that is how I how I hope it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i never thought it this way but your solution seems logical and very good indeed. Even if this is not an official rule, it will be a very good variant.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.