Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the opportunity to pull my copy of Dune out for the first time in fifteen years this weekend, at one of the periodic game days my wife and I host. Other than me, no one had played it, so I had to do the rules explanation. This is a little heavier than most games we play (we've done Betrayal at House on the Hill, Ticket to Ride, Chrononauts, Fluxx, Illuminati, Acquire), and, as it turns out, the Hark and BG players were less comfortable with the game on this first play through. The Emperor and Fremen players were also fairly experienced at games in general.

Full six player game using the basic rules only. Randomly distributing the sides, I got the Guild. As I normally do when I'm the only experienced player (frequently occurs at these events - I'm breaking in a slew of new gamers), I decided to play fairly aggressive (this is my attempt to break Analysis Paralysis, and make sure something happens early).

Turn 1: Spice blow in Habbanya Flat. Emperor (moving first) drops in for the spice, and splits some troops into the Sietch. I drop a force into HR Sietch also. Fremen move against the Emperor for the spice. Atriedes begins their gamelong pattern of going to the spice a turn early (no decoying here - green-gos drop into the South Mesa.

Combat results: Guild wins in the HR Sietch, Fremen win the spice. Three leaders and the first batch of tokens head for the tanks.

Turn 2: Spice in (surprise) South Mesa. Harkonen move for spice, and in turn Carthag is attacked by Fremen. Emperor goes for spice. Guild attacks Sietch Tabr (the Fremen are an old friend of mine whose play skills I respect, and I can see them winning a war of attrition), plus, I stab for the quick win.

Combat: Fremen knock Harkonen out of Carthag; Harkonen beats emperor, but loses to Atriedes in South Mesa (Harks are at this point knocked off the board, and go on Choam charity for the next three turns). Fremen also fight off the guild in Tabr. Leaders in the tanks: 7 - can anyone play the right defense?

Turn 3: Worm hits South Mesa - no alliances though (in retrospect, I should have allied with Harkonnen, to fund card purchases and bring them back in the game). Atriedes chase spice to Minor Erg, opposed by Fremen. Emperor attacks Tuek's Sietch. BG starts moving onto Imperial Plain

Combat: Atriedes win spice in Minor Erg. Emperor takes Tuek's Sietch from Guild; Guild is down to 2 leaders. Now 11 in the tanks total.

Turn 4: Atriedes and Emperor begin struggling over spice, but not too much - suddenly plenty of spice to pick up, with left overs from the previous turn. Harks start to land in Plastic Basin, hoping for a neighboring spice blow. Meanwhile, I make a big play - Guild moves on Fremen holding Carthag.

Combat: In the big Carthag battle - Fremen traitor is Staban Tuek, Guild traitor is Stilgar - both big leaders, and 15 (total) tokens into the tanks.

Turn 5: Harkonen move on spice in both Funeral Plain (turn 4) and Great Flat (turn 5) - they will be able to collect all of it. BG moves on Arrakeen - Atriedes moves forces over to Carthag. Guild goes back after Sietch Tabr; Fremen attack HR Sietch - Guild has to fight two battles with one leader.

Combat: Guild is knocked off the planet completely, with all tokens and leaders in the tanks. BG now in Arrakeen, Emperor in Tuek's, Fremen in HR and Tabr, Atriedes in Carthag.

Turn 6: Harks, after picking up 12 spice the previous turn in two different spaces are all wiped out by the storm - plenty in reserve, though.

We break after Turn 6 - with rules explanation, we've gone three hours plus, and time is called by a hungry 15 month old. I count the leaders in the tanks - 19 of 30 total are in there, including 5 Guild and 4 emperor. About 75 tokens also. It's been long enough since my last game taht I can't remember if this is heavier casualties than normal - it seems pretty heavy, though.

Hopefully we'll get a chance to try this again next year - our gaming sessions are pretty limited with the little one, and the one remaining one this year will be shorter games only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Vaca
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So sad that you weren't able to complete the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what did everyone think of the game? We they excited throughout the 3 hours, or did they feel that it dragged?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mateui wrote:
So what did everyone think of the game? We they excited throughout the 3 hours, or did they feel that it dragged?

It was pretty action packed, as you can see from the body count. The three other players who started mixing it up immediately (Atriedes, Fremen, Emperor) all enjoyed the game more, I think. The other two players spent most of the session still getting up to speed.

Probably a little handicapped that, at this point, none of us had read the book in twenty years...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg C
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I took the game to a gaming group I had played with a few times. My friend went with me, we are both veteran Dune players. Nobody else had played before. It was an incredible blood bath, came close to having every leader in the game in the tanks at one point and most of the tokens as well. I was Atreides and was responsible for sending many of them there. I think the other players were a little schocked at the violence. I was a little hesitant about doing so much killing but you can't just let someone go take your spice, especially when you know he can't defend against your weapon. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gr0nd wrote:
It was an incredible blood bath, came close to having every leader in the game in the tanks at one point and most of the tokens as well.

To abuse some Virgil, "Audentes Delectatio Juvat".

Now I feel like that old pirate in Asterix...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Alvarado
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 leader two battles
I didn't think you could do that. (I don't have the rules though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Sudhoff
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1 leader two battles
No you can't, you have to fight one of the two battles without leader (and without treachery cards! That hurts!)

But maybe Scott anyhow played by the rules: He just said:
Quote:
Guild has to fight two battles with one leader.

...could mean both: "One leader in two battles" or "two battles, but only one leader remaining :-("

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.