Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won this (without prior knowledge of the game) in one of Simon Hunt's promotional competitions.

The wife and I opened this up for a two-player test drive. At first she wasn't enthusiastic (it's a game after all) so I had to go throught the rules twice. The rulebook is easy enough to follow, but the print is tiny tiny tiny and each rule chunk seems to be "in general ... with the exception ...", so at first you feel like there's a bunch of exceptions to apply. Once the game started though it turned out to be pretty simple.

And what a tight first game it was! After three (out of four) rounds we had exactly equal scores at 314, we still both had two of the "options" chits, and the round had ended with the "market close" card so we had the whole deck to play with. And we did indeed play the full deck, running right down to the market close card and nearly exhausting the shares deck too!

Actual play mechanics are simpler than the first rules impression, and the first rules impression is simple enough. But the game seems to have a balance and finesse that will have it out again pretty soon I'm sure.

My comment is that it's a bit like intertwined Lost Cities with bonus special action cards... five suits that you can only really participate in three of, hand management with cards itching to be played but which have to wait, decisions over which value cards to drop, which to keep, and when to even add value to your opponent's holdings! But there's much more colour, and the theme actually has some connection with the behaviour of the game.

After one play: Very pleasantly surprised. I'd say Mr Hunt has outdone Knizia in this arena.

My Darling Beloved comments: "It's like Kingdoms... you have to think this direction and that direction" (refering to it being numerical and having multipliers). "I think I prefer it to Lost Cities... more flavour and options."

(It should be noted that both Kingdoms and Lost Cities are games which my wife has actually asked to play, unprompted!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine also compared it to Lost Cities and I have to agree. Just played a two player game of this last night and enjoyed it immensely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
After one play: Very pleasantly surprised. I'd say Mr Hunt has outdone Knizia in this arena.

Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
A friend of mine also compared it to Lost Cities and I have to agree. Just played a two player game of this last night and enjoyed it immensely.

I liked some of the mechanics of Take Stock very much, but I'm not sure it's deep enough for a 2 hour game. I've won a copy, so when that arrives I'll get to play it a few times and find out what I really think of it - thus far (after 1 play) I think it seems like a good filler, but it seems like it might last longer than a filler should last.

I understand that's easily fixed by playing 3 rounds instead of 4...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting comment Seth. I'm usually prone to AP (and make self deprecating jokes about it) but my wife and I can still turn this over in only a little more than the box-nominal 60 minutes or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
Interesting comment Seth. I'm usually prone to AP (and make self deprecating jokes about it) but my wife and I can still turn this over in only a little more than the box-nominal 60 minutes or so.

Hmm... perhaps I've heard wrong. I guess we'll see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.