North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

My wife and I love Catan and Carcassonne.

I have been looking for a new game for us to play, but am having trouble choosing one. It needs to play well with 2 players (I really liked the sounds of Alhambra, but it sounds like 2 players is not as good as 3). It needs to not be a card-game. It can't be overly complex to learn, or too long to play, or it will not keep my wife's interest. I think a game like Puerto Rico would not go over well, as it is very strategy-heavy.

So, what would you recommend? (besides playing games with someone other than my wife laugh )

Thanks

Jugg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may laugh, but HeroScape might work. And I assume you've tried Carc: The Castle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Attika might be a good fit. It has a tile-laying aspect and resource management. It's not very heavy and plays very well with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raindog
Norway
Elverum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HI!

I am in the same situation as you, I usually play with my wife, and once in a while I get to play four-playergames. I would also like to hear about good 2-player games, in the genre of Settlers of Catan.

When it`s just my wife and I playing, we play a lot of Ingenious (Einfach Genial). We have just started playing Memoir 44, which we both like. But our new favourite is Viktory II, which is a multiplayer-game, but it works really good as a 2-playergame as well.

How does El Grande, Caylus, Puerto Rico, Goa, Elasund, Tikal etc. work with only two players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For something totally different, try Ingenious. It plays very well with 2, 3, 4, and 4 player partnership.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
the1jugg wrote:
(I really liked the sounds of Alhambra, but it sounds like 2 players is not as good as 3).

The 2-player version of Alhambra is slightly different from the standard 3+ version, but just as good. I think it's a fine 2-player game.

Others:

Fjords is a nice little 2-player game in the vein of Carcassonne. A little bit dry and "thinky," as it's based on Go, but still good.

Trias has a decent 2-player scaled-down version that is fun. The game is pretty unique in its mechanics, but feels familiar in its presentation.

Entdecker and its little brother, Oceania, are nice 2-player games. Like Fjords, the feel is very similar (I think) to Carcassonne.

There's a "kid's game" called The Legend of Landlock that is a really nice tile-laying 2-player game along the same ilk of the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure and check out Roma (even tho it is a card game) and Carolus Magnus.

Oh, and keep your eyes open for the Big City reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Travel Blokus
Castle - By Bruno Faidutti

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the breadth of your definition of card game. Have you looked at Starship Catan. It does have cards as an element in the game though.

Mentioned earlier, I would also second the recommendation for Elasund: The First City. It has similarities to Catan, but is more competitive. It uses cards as resources, but the game is more around the placement of building permits and buildings.

Also mentioned earlier, Attika plays great with two players. Cards are a game elements for resources.

Blue Moon City is a great game that works for 2 - 4. Cards are a little more integral here, but they are not the focus (as in Blue Moon - the card game). The choice of using the cards for either for their "value" or their "power" is an enjoyable one, and games are usually very tight.

Thurn and Taxis is also lots of fun and easy to learn. Cards are used (they really are hard to get a way from) in a similar fashion as with Ticket To Ride (forming a route from collected cards) but my wife and I both enjoy this one more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

Trias has a decent 2-player scaled-down version that is fun. The game is pretty unique in its mechanics, but feels familiar in its presentation.

You know, I love Trias and think it's a wonderful game, but the 2-player version just doesn't work well for me.

As for your other recommendations, I think they're great. I love Fjords.

Regarding the original question, whenever anyone says they like Settlers and want a 2 player game with a similar feel, I think Attika. It's definitely quite different from Settlers, but feels familiar enough with the resource management and use of space. And it's great with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracula by Rio Grande/Kosmos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attika, indeed, would do nicely. I would recommend Through the Desert above Attika simply because I think it's a finer game. Even though you explicitly ruled out card games, I will still nonetheless recommend Blue Moon--only because I will recommend that game to anyone at the drop of a hat.
But seriousy, you would do very well to get Through the Desert or Attika.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
We certainly dont mind a game that has cards as an element or a resource... after all, what's Catan without cards? I LOVE card games. I play Magic and many other CCGs on a weekly basis. My wife, however, does not like card games of that sort. We have Catan the Card Game, and she doesn't like it much (she thinks I win because I'm "good" at cards). She may like San Juan if I decide to introduce it to her.

I have not tried Carcassonne the city, but have looked into it. Is it different enough to warrant a purchace? We've already bought EVERYTHING we can find for Carcassonne, and wouldnt want to spend money on a "too similar" game.

I really am appreciating all of this feedback. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Okasaki
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I think of games that are "like" Carcassonne, I think about games where you are placing tiles in a way to make them fit with neighboring tiles. Legend of Landlock and Oceania are light examples of this flavor. Others include Sunda to Sahul, Alhambra, and O Zoo le Mio. Wooly Bully might work, but I don't much care for it. Vegas Showdown might work, but needs 3 players.

I think it is much harder to find 2-player games that are "like" Catan. Player-to-player trading is perhaps the most important mechanic in Catan, but it is very, very difficult to make player-to-player trading work well in a 2-player game. For example, both the Catan card game and Starship Catan were complete flops for me because of the problem of player-to-player trading.

On the other hand, if the part of Catan that you like is the resource management, with several different resources where you need different combinations of resources to buy different things, then I strongly recommend Attika.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
When Catan is played with only the two of us, we never trade (besides the bank), since it must always be in your opponent's favour to trade or they wont do it. It is definitely the resource management we enjoy most about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Search geeklists for "wife", "girlfriend" and "husband". These three searches will show you bunches of geeklists.

My wife has been gaming for years, mostly D&D, but it isn't a priority hobby for her. She likes TransAmerica and Ingenious, amongst the non-cardgames that you can easily acquire.

Have you considered Serenissima or Hansa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is by no means a "gamer". I was lucky enough to have her fall in love with Settlers of Catan at another couple's house. Then I bought Carcassonne to fill time while family is over and she loves it too now (probably because we introducted expansions 1 at a time, allowing her to learn only a few rules at a time). She hates The Tower expansion devil I do tend to be a bit ruthless.

Her idea of the perfect game is scrabble (by the way, the current Games Quarterly has a great article on Scrabble in it), or Monopoly.

She likes thinking games, but not strategy. She doesnt seem to like to think ahead, as much as make the best move at THIS moment. I think thats why she likes Carcassonne... although it is best played when you are planning several turns in advance, the scores are added up with each tile play, so the results are immediately gratifying.

to answer your question I've never heard of Serenissima or Hansa... I'll look them up.

And I did find a very interesting geeklist that actully proved for every couple who likes a game, there is another who hates it.

go figure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just learned the Settlers of Catan card game this past week with my girlfriend, and we both found it a very satisfying 2-player substitute for full Catan. We traded a fair amount, too. After one play, I can't say anything about the lasting replay value of the game, but I'd definitely recommend it as a 2-player option for a Catan fan. It really doesn't feel like a card game at all (more like a tile-laying game, I thought), so I don't think it'll present a problem. [EDIT: Oops, I didn't see where the thread-starter had already mentioned it... my bad]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toreengeland wrote:
HI!
How does El Grande, Caylus, Puerto Rico, Goa, Elasund, Tikal etc. work with only two players?

I have only played Tikal with two players, but I think it works great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Turner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rather than puerto rico why not try san juan the card game?

FNG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 wrote:
I think Attika might be a good fit. It has a tile-laying aspect and resource management. It's not very heavy and plays very well with two.

I would second this choice. ATTIKA is my our favorite as a 2-player game. My wife and I both like the resource cards aspect, the take that aspect of blocking, the build the playing area as you go, and the get an extra turn aspect of the (orange carrots). In many mays this is a better 2 player than Settlers ever could be because the board size is scaled to match the number of players.

Best of luck
JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elasund: The First City

Check out the profeasy tutorial
http://www.profeasy.com/Elasund_Eng/index.html

and Ted Cheatham's video review
http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Dragon
United States
Willows
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation for Elasund. It's a great game for 2 players (or 3, or 4, still great), and you'll already be familiar with the basic Catan methods. The bonus for two players is that in Elasund, there's no trading resources with other players (a feature which often makes a great 3- or 4-player game into a bad 2-player game). It also fixes a few problems with the resources that basic Catan has, since the same number rolled twice in a row can't pay off twice in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.