Oliver Harrison
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to introduce you to a game in development in Calgary, Alberta. We are working on a game called Supernova. It has a tightly integrated theme and could be thought of as a board game equivalent of a computer-based '4X' game. It has been in playtesting for nearly a year... and there is some exciting news to share this coming weekend. Check out our game space.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/24491

Very soon you will be able to find out more about the game at www.supernovagame.com. There is a page up, but bookmark that site as it will be expanded on greatly soon.

If interested, and if you are going to be in Essen, you will be able to play the current prototype of the game, which is all but final. Look for Torben of Valley Games - he of the Die Macher and Big City reprints. He will be able to arrange a playtest for you. If Essen doesn't work for you, we will also be at GenCon in LA in November and you will be able to play the game with us there. We will have multiple prototypes on hand for you to enjoy. If you happen to live in or around Calgary, Alberta, email me and we can work out a time to sit down to play the game! We're looking forward to GenCon and will happily answer any questions you have about the game.

Oliver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's hot.

[add to cart]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djflippy wrote:
That's hot.

Yes, Paris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Harrison
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've forgotten to mention this on the Geek, but there is going to be an event at GenCon to be able to play Supernova. There is a 10 player limit, with 9 spots still available. The event ID is 56 and we will be in Hall D: BG HQ. You can view this event here:

http://registration.gencon.com/socal/eventview.cgi?ew=events...

The cost to register is $6. Hope to see you there!

Oliver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like an interesting scifi wargame. After reading through the rules, it didn't in my mind fill the missing 4x picture i was hoping to see. Has tech advances, but all of them are for upgrading ships. Looks like it really comes down to another wargame. Guess I'll keep waiting for the perfect 4x civ type game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Harrison
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.. I hadn't really ever thought of Supernova as a wargame per se. Certainly it is not the 'ultimate' 4x civ game and I didn't mean to imply that. I simply meant that that is about the closest equivalent that I can think of in regards to a Scifi board game. As much as Mike and I both love 4x games, the exact translation to a board game would likely end up taking about 10 hours to play.

Nonetheless, maybe I could call Supernova 4x-lite? Hope you'd still be interested in trying it out.

Oliver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Looks like an interesting scifi wargame. After reading through the rules, it didn't in my mind fill the missing 4x picture i was hoping to see. Has tech advances, but all of them are for upgrading ships. Looks like it really comes down to another wargame. Guess I'll keep waiting for the perfect 4x civ type game.

Whats wrong with TI3? Too little exploration?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrevilo wrote:

Nonetheless, maybe I could call Supernova 4x-lite? Hope you'd still be interested in trying it out.

Oliver

Don't get me wrong, it sounds like an interesting game, and has great looking components.I was just hoping for another pipe-dream that has nothing to do with your game, but my own expectations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Thompson
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YESH
mbmbmbmbmb
Help a brother out; what's 4x?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TableStar_Thompson wrote:
Help a brother out; what's 4x?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Harrison
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4x is a reference to a type of computer strategy game. It stands for eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate. The hallmark of these types of games is that they are deep and engrossing - where you start off small and build yourself an enormous civilization. They are almost always set in space. The drawback to them is they typically take a very long time to play.

Supernova was designed to mimic only a small portion of the things that make 4x games fun. We tried to capture the exploration, expansion and the fun of balancing expansion of your empire with the improvement of your technologies, all the while keeping an eye on your opponent's next move..

Oliver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Harrison
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh! Beat me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the booth number for Essen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Harrison
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh good question. This may not be helpful, but if you search for Valley Games' booth, it will be available to play there. Torben of Valley Games will be there with the new Die Macher reprint.

Sorry I can't be more specific. If you'd like more information, email Rik or Torben at info@valleygames.ca

Oliver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm it has my interest for sure.
Good luck!

-Brund the Spacefarer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does look interesting - especially if it can really be played in 90 minutes. I just wish it had some TI3-like miniatures...

Now, as a Sci-Fi geek, sorry to be the nitpicker, but regarding the theme... So, five great space-faring civilizations arose in one solar system. That sounds unlikely, but I'm fine with that. But are they abandoning their galaxy because their sun will turn into a supernova?!! What's wrong with the rest of the galaxy? Is it overpopulated to the point they can't find any other inhabitable systems? Or will the simple explosion of a supernova destroy the entire galaxy?! Do they really need to cross the immense distances between galaxies? wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Harrison
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh. All good questions...

First off, the miniatures - due to the stacking nature of the game, they are out for your regular pieces. Unless, of course, everybody wants to use uber-cool scifi cones! Which, doesn't really go with the direction we had in mind... As far as the other pieces, we *might* be looking into getting some minis moulded for the technology markers. But I can't promise anything.

The races are inhabiting one solar system, as you said. It isn't visible on the playing boards, but each planet is meant to represent other solar systems (with their own suns) within that galaxy. The center tile with the Star going supernova represents the originating solar system which all the races are attempting to flee. That may not be very clear in the rules/description of the game. I will go over that and update it as necessary.

Man, I just *knew* I'd get caught on the specifics! I'm a sci-fi geek too, but I really just like to watch movies and read the books.. Trying to come up with my own storyline is tough!

Oliver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
First off, the miniatures - due to the stacking nature of the game, they are out for your regular pieces. Unless, of course, everybody wants to use uber-cool scifi cones!

Something in the lines of Avalon Hill edition of "Cosmic Encounter" might work. Besides, if you do use miniatures for other things, it may look strange not having them for spaceships.

Quote:
The races are inhabiting one solar system, as you said. It isn't visible on the playing boards, but each planet is meant to represent other solar systems (with their own suns) within that galaxy. The center tile with the Star going supernova represents the originating solar system which all the races are attempting to flee.

That sounds much better. thumbsup

Quote:
I'm a sci-fi geek too, but I really just like to watch movies and read the books.. Trying to come up with my own storyline is tough!

Well, I've written some Sci-Fi stuff, but this is not really about the storyline (I guess you don't need much of it for a boardgame, anyway). But it's certainly nice to see that the designer knows at least the basics of what he's talking about. Ultimately, a plausible background adds to the theme.

Take Alan Moon's "Andromeda", for example. The board shows various planets, and we can imagine that each one belongs to a different solar system. However, one planet is Earth, and the others are in the Andromeda galaxy! The scope could easily have been our own solar system, but they had to take it to another galaxy! And nothing in the mechanics indicates that the distances from Earth are so much greater. Thematically, it just feels lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.