Subject: Do units have a point cost? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BattleLore [+] [View All]
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think this has been addressed and hasnt really come up in our games of Memoir, still playing the given scenarios. But with extra figures released and both players wanting to use them. Will there be a "skirmish" type of game where players can pick their own forces and just go at it? or will it always be set adventures?

How do you balance adventures you create with out a point cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
From my reading of the info, my sense is that:

1) the game is going to encourage people to create their own scenarios and post them so others can download them. So, there will be a LOT of these available with all sorts of variety.

2) because it seems that they are going in an almost collectable game direction with this (something like 2 "packs" per month that will apprently have 1 figure, a few cards, and a hex overlay), I would imagine that there will not be an assumption that everyone will have everything for the game.

3) in order to create scenarios, I would think that either there will be a point-cost list either officially, or at least fan created, to aid in the creation process: I hope there will be an official point-buy list.

I agree that a point-buy skirmish mode would be fun! I hope they have this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
decaramas wrote:

Playtest.

Although I truly hope there is a drafting rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
diamondspider wrote:

3) in order to create scenarios, I would think that either there will be a point-cost list either officially, or at least fan created, to aid in the creation process: I hope there will be an official point-buy list.

That's still only half the equation as the terrain layout can be very influential. A stronger army can be at a disadvantage if the other side has better positioning.

But I do agree that some system to help take some of the guesswork out would be nice.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
decaramas wrote:

The quick and dirty way is to play 2 games switching sides like they do with M'44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Octavian wrote:
diamondspider wrote:

That's still only half the equation as the terrain layout can be very influential. A stronger army can be at a disadvantage if the other side has better positioning.

But I do agree that some system to help take some of the guesswork out would be nice.

-MMM

Actually, what I'd do for skirmish is probably include point costs for terrain. So, say I had 200 points, I could buy either 70% troops and 30% terrain placeables (with rules for placement of course) or I could go 100% troops and have absolutely no cover on my side. Part of the fun!

If there is no point-cost system, there is no doubt that this is the first thing I'd do! I did one for Squad Leader before the official one came out, and it was fun to see where I agreed and diagreed with their point ratings: theirs did tend to be better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
diamondspider wrote:

Actually, what I'd do for skirmish is probably include point costs for terrain. So, say I had 200 points, I could buy either 70% troops and 30% terrain placeables (with rules for placement of course) or I could go 100% troops and have absolutely no cover on my side. Part of the fun!

That also has it's own problems. What if a unit is particularly good in forest hexes? Under your proposed system you've increased the cost of the unit by the cost of those terrain hexes.

What I'd rather see is something akin to what Heroscape has - pre-set maps with point totals for each side. Such a system used with BattleLore would probably also need to include a minimum troop number in each section.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Octavian wrote:

That also has it's own problems. What if a unit is particularly good in forest hexes? Under your proposed system you've increased the cost of the unit by the cost of those terrain hexes.

-MMM

I don't see that as a problem. The main solution is to have units that require terrain to get 100% of the benefit to have a slight discount.

The other appraoch is to have it that each unit comes with one forest tile as a package. I prefer the first appraoch.

In any case, I LOVE having terrain layout to be part of the game. This is one of my favorite parts of Warhammer Fantasy Battles. I'm sure they'll be a way to do a similar variant with this game, and I even volunteer to do a version of it filling-in whatever the games doesn't support standardly.

No doubt, there will also be premade maps, so your variant would work great also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i cant see an 80 page rule book without point costs, in the audio interview they said that each adventure is quite a bit more repayable then a standard c&c game because you get to chose what men you use and what your war counsel is like. that sounds like points to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diamondspider wrote:
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

In any case, I LOVE having terrain layout to be part of the game. This is one of my favorite parts of Warhammer Fantasy Battles. I'm sure they'll be a way to do a similar variant with this game, and I even volunteer to do a version of it filling-in whatever the games doesn't support standardly.

Actually what we used to do when we played WFB (way back in the day) was that one person layed out the terrain, they other got to choose the side. This way there is an inherent desire to make both sides equal in terms of terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.