Subject: Crisis::Heroes - Can you explain to me how to use them? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mirko tebaldi
Italy
flag msg tools
Example: War Elder

1 pay one credit

It goes directly on game.... And at the end of the turn, it is not discarded.

At every turn I can scrape a card? Or only when I scrape the hero?

And It count as a red card every turn , or only when I scrape it?

The special ops doctor is doing nothing at every turn, but give me authority points when I scrape it? And dies it count as blue card at every turn or only when I scrape it?

And so on..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reclaimer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You leave it there and it's effect only activates once you decide to scrap it, so only for one turn. It seems really ineffective, but it's also a very low cost and can be very handy in some situations.

Go look for the Megahaulin': A Star Realms Podcast, they will be discussing these cards in a future episode

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
They seem like a pretty good deal to me since they are cheap and don't clog up your deck. It seems to happen pretty often especially later in the game where you have 1 or 2 extra trade with nothing good to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
realtebo wrote:
Example: War Elder

1 pay one credit

It goes directly on game.... And at the end of the turn, it is not discarded.

At every turn I can scrape a card? Or only when I scrape the hero?

And It count as a red card every turn , or only when I scrape it?

The special ops doctor is doing nothing at every turn, but give me authority points when I scrape it? And dies it count as blue card at every turn or only when I scrape it?

And so on..

You are playing it right (it seems.)

You buy them, put them in front of you. At any time during your turn you can scrap them to use their ability and count as an ally of the faction they are from. Useful for their abilities, their cost, and to get you that ally you need to destroy an annoying base (I'm looking at you Mech World) earlier, or to trigger other ally abilities (like authority gain for blue, or extra card scrapping for red, etc. etc.).

Essentially you're paying 1 or 2 for a card you scrap later for some small benefit. I always snag them if I have some extra buying points because they can be useful in a lot of situations and don't clog up your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
mil05006 wrote:

Essentially you're paying 1 or 2 for a card you scrap later for some small benefit. I always snag them if I have some extra buying points because they can be useful in a lot of situations and don't clog up your deck.

At first glance they seem super weak, but they're situationally useful -- and your opponent can't get rid of them! The dangling penknife of damcles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mirko tebaldi
Italy
flag msg tools
So, they count for ally only when scraping? Really?

And so, they, all of them, don't do nothing at all every single turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Potter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
realtebo wrote:
So, they count for ally only when scraping? Really?

And so, they, all of them, don't do nothing at all every single turn?

Right. They're meant to give you a boost (ally or ability) just when you need it; maybe to make an iffy hand into a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the common problem people have with the heroes is that they think of it in terms of the other cards. In that respect they seem pretty bad.

You need to think of them as turning what would be wasted Trade (that extra Trade that you normally wouldn't spend on anything) into guaranteed benefit when you want/need it. If you look at them like that, they are quite powerful as they allow you to get the maximum benefit from your Trade even in the later turns when 1 and 2 cost cards have mostly fallen off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

They are more than "what to do with leftover trade". The way this and most deckbuilding games are structured, maybe even most card dueling card games, is based on breaking thresholds within a single turn. It is generally better to have 5 trade on a single turn, rather than two turns with 3 trade each. Generally. The idea of having some cards cost just one point more, is that it can be hard to reach those thresholds within a single turn. This is why Outpost 4 are not very defensive, but Outpost 6 is dang near impenetrable sometimes.

The heroes allow you to invest part of your current turn to make a future turn better. In general, having one awesome turn can really turn the whole game around for you, and these cards (among certain others) help you to reach those awesome turns sooner. Not only do they help you "bank" a minor benefit, but they give you the freedom of choice as to when to use it. It means one more (minor) method of control you have in determining whether you get good turns or bad turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not totally convinced a hero is worth "investing" in. I agree they can make the difference on a turn, but by the same argument you present, that 1 or 2 extra Trade this turn could allow me to get something significantly better than if I got the Hero, and if that is not the case, it might as well be "leftover trade."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
I am not totally convinced a hero is worth "investing" in. I agree they can make the difference on a turn, but by the same argument you present, that 1 or 2 extra Trade this turn could allow me to get something significantly better than if I got the Hero, and if that is not the case, it might as well be "leftover trade."

Well, the idea of investment is that the 1 or 2 extra Trade this turn can not push you over your normal threshold - the general output of a given turn - because the trade comes from this total. So, in general, if you are producing 4 trade per turn, then you are buying "4 trade" worth of stuff. If you could somehow invest 1 or 2 trade into a future turn, then next turn you can potentially buy something that costs 5 or 6 -- something difficult to do with an average trade of four. Having that one significant card could be just the boost you need to get your deck to a higher power level, perhaps producing 5 trade per turn.

Now, the weird catch and the controversy is that the investment isn't always trade for trade. Sometimes its another card. Sometimes its more damage. Sometimes its extra life. So the investment bonus is situational. However, because the hero stays in play, you can wait for the proper situation to come up so no matter what, you should be able to take maximum opportunity of your investment.

I'm not saying the heroes will give you an awesome turn. They aren't Cutters or Rams, after all. But they also don't cost much, and they could be just the edge you need to accelerate things a little early, mitigate an otherwise poor turn, or give you that little extra push you need on a good turn to accomplish a minor goal a bit earlier that you otherwise would.

For the record, I don't like Heroes either. I enjoy using them in play, but they aren't really worth buying. I think their effects should have been more dramatic. Dramatic effects are fun. But I think they were playing it safe with the heroes and events for their first attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not "Happy"
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording is interesting: ... you may use ALL of your ally abilities.

But if I had more than 1 ally ability I'd already be able to use them...

Maybe then the wording implies something more useful that's just not coming to mind at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:
Maybe then the wording implies something more useful that's just not coming to mind at the moment.

Play an Imperial Frigate, scrap a Star Empire hero, then scrap the frigate. Draw another Star Empire card and its ally ability would trigger. Or simpler if you trash Admiral Rasmusson when you don't have any Star Empire cards for the draw a card (which I can imagine doing) then draw a Star Empire card it's ally ability would trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:
The wording is interesting: ... you may use ALL of your ally abilities.

But if I had more than 1 ally ability I'd already be able to use them...

Future proofing for cross faction allies, I assume. There is already the Mercenary Garrison that uses (put does not provide) an ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.