United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
80 years ago this week something horrible happened. The first canned beer hit the market. Ok, I know many beer experts say that a can does nothing to the taste of the beer. I don't care. I don't find drinking beer from a can nearly as enjoyable. In fact since I bought some really nice beer glasses from Kansas City's own Boulevard Brewery when I was there taking the tour I pretty much only drink from a glass unless forced to do so otherwise.

So here is the question. What is the normal way you drink beer? Can, Bottle or glass? Also let us know what is your favorite beer.

Poll
What do you most commonly drink beer from?
Bottle
Can
Glass
      124 answers
Poll created by mrbeankc

My current favorite is Boulevard Nut Cracker Ale. It's a seasonal ale that Boulevard only makes at the holidays. Discovered it last year and enjoyed it again this year. No more until next November. On the flip side their Irish Ale just hit the shelves so I will enjoy one of those this evening...in a glass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually have a Radler can (my favorite is the Mint + Elderberry flavor from a Slovak brewery) in a glass whistle

And before all you beer-lovers start yelling my way... Beer you all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually went to the brewery this last Christmas to pick up beer glasses for two of my brother in-laws who are both home brewers. I loved the glasses. Thick heavy glasses featuring the artwork off their holiday beers. I liked them so much I got a set for myself. They have all the holiday logos of the different Boulevard beers on them. My wife immediately took a liking to them as well...for eating ice cream out of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jester King by far... There is no competition with other American brewers for farmhouse or sour beers, in my opinion.

Le Petit Prince is almost a daily drinker for me. Light, but still with some hop and funky farmhouse taste to it. With 2.9% ABV and 1.000 FG, it is the perfect session beer that replaces Coke Zero for me.

Funk Metal is a sour Russian Imperial Stout. Boxer's Revenge is a sour wheat ale. They also have a number of sour fruit "lambics" such as Atrial Rubicite (raspberry), Aurelian Lure (apricot), Omniscience & Proselytism (strawberry).

I can't wait for their lambic style beers to come out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
There are positives in canning beer.

Aluminum completely blocks light and oxygen for example. And it is cheaper and lighter than glass. And aluminum doesn't break.

But glass is easier to recycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I always prefer drinking from a glass if possible. In not, I'll take a bottle and rarely from a can. I think that I'm fairly snobby when it comes to beer though.

Recently I've been really into stouts/porters and especially milk stouts. My current favorite is Belching Beaver's Peanut Butter Milk Stout if I can get it on nitro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
The amazing thing about beer is that regardless of what material it is bottled in, you can still pour it into a glass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I always drink out of cans...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
I always drink out of cans...

It's ok, Honey, I only had one beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, it depends on the circumstances, I'm afraid. In order: in a glass on draught from the pub first, bottle second, decanted into a glass from a can third, straight from the can fourth. Beggars can't always be choosers; some gig venues insist on you drinking from cans, or at least plastic containers...

To be fair, I always enjoy a beer, no matter what the container, given the right circumstances. And despite everything else, it's always better with company. So, I'd like to say right here and now, if any one from BGG finds themselves in London, give me a shout - a post or a geek mail - and, if I can, I'll come to the pub, advise you on whats available, buy you a beer, and even play a game or just talk crap, whatever you prefer. Despite the fact I may have made a fool of meself in the past, attempting to disagree with you on political or historical matters - as I may have on the Wargames sub domain with Brian, if I recall.

Anyway, porters and winter warmers are where it's at the moment for me. Trumans Porter, that'll see me through the winter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pour into a glass if at all possible.

Favourite commercial brew is the Flying Monkey's Smashbomb Atomic IPA. I have the recipe and my second batch of it is currently dry hopping, and will go into bottles Sunday night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Seriously though, when I was in the states I would always buy bottles, unless I was getting the local brew Coldsmoke, which was only sold in tall cans. In Japan, though, cans are really the only option if you are buying from the store. The only thing that really comes in bottles, and it is usually big bottles that I wouldn't want to drink out of anyways, is the run of the mill Japanese beers like Asahi Super Dry and Kirnin Ichiban Shibori. This is what the selection tends to look like at the convenience stores...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
A glass, and hopefully one designed especially for it (thank-you Belgium!)

I can't possibly choose one favorite. I like to mix it up too much.

Favorite IPA probably comes from the western USA, but could come anywhere from California to Washington. I had an Elysian Savant (Seattle) the other night, that was to die for.

Favorite red ale is from Yukon Brewing, Arctic Red (Yukon territory).

Favorite brown is probably Howe Sound Brown (Vancouver).

Favorite English ale is probably Hobgoblin.

Favorite Belgian is Chimay "Blue"

Had an awesome (double) stout from Green Flash (San Diego) the other night.

And so on.

EDIT: I have to say, however, that a Festbock always comes in a can and it is delicious every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Oh and favorite beer (made in Japan) is Kura's Oyster Stout!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite beer?

Cold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why am I not surprised that, like all "What's your favorite..." thread, the comments are populated by artisan, craft stuff?

Keep it simple and just enjoy.

My personal favorite is nigh impossible to find locally:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Why am I not surprised that, like all "What's your favorite..." thread, the comments are populated by artisan, craft stuff?

I know right? People suggesting all these board games that are out of print, or where I have to go to specialty shops to buy them, and then they cost upwards of $50.

Just keep it simple and enjoy:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Separating pull tabs and the variations of today's mostly captive pop-tops were a no brainer for choosing cans. No church key, no bottle opener (before the screw off caps,) and certainly no extra toting of a glass or mug. But once I got away from having to live with my parents I trended more to a simple bourbon and cola mix. Heineken's taste put me off of anything exotic much the same as trying lima beans made me wary of anything new in food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

Simple? Your pictured favourite is an import you can't seem to find on shelves anywhere.

Simple is picking up a 30 rack of Bud Light and calling it a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you think about it right now beer drinkers live in a golden age. Back in the late 70s and early 80s there were something like only 40 companies making beer in the US and Michelob Dark was the most exotic beer you could buy. Today there are more than 1,400 breweries and an unbelievable number of varieties. Someone said keep it simple but with everything out there why not live on the exotic side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawn Gnome
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I would love to get my 5th CR Star
mb
That is a very nice selection to choose from Brian. I totally agree about living in the "Golden Age of Beer". I live in the pacific northwest which is considered by many to be a hot bed of activity for the craft beer scene. Whenever I leave the area and then return I fell a little spoiled yet very lucky at the same time to have so many options at my disposal. Although, I do find myself missing the beers I grew up on from PA. A lot of the craft beers from back east are not available here on the west coast.

Does anybody know if there is a "BOARD GAMES & BREWS" type blog here on BGG. I'm ask because I am thinking about starting one if nobody has done so already. If there is one already can some please post a link. I've been looking around and cant seem to find one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
Le Petit Prince is almost a daily drinker for me. Light, but still with some hop and funky farmhouse taste to it. With 2.9% ABV and 1.000 FG, it is the perfect session beer that replaces Coke Zero for me.

Thanks, I've been looking for a quality session beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
hamzy wrote:

Thanks, I've been looking for a quality session beer.

I've been buying cases of it. It is $8 for a 750 ml bottle and a $15 discount for buying a case. This turns out to be 3.75 cents per ounce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to pour it in a glass if I'm home, and just stick with the bottle if I'm out and about.

If I'm grabbing a beer with supper, it'll be Killian's Irish Red or Negra Medelo. If I'm drinking beer to relax, it'll be Old Rasputin Imperial Stout.

If I'm drinking because I need a drink, it'll be something distilled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghis wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

Simple? Your pictured favourite is an import you can't seem to find on shelves anywhere.

Simple is picking up a 30 rack of Bud Light and calling it a day.

Unlike regional labels, I can't get my preferred brand because local shops just don't stock it. They'd rather have shelf space selling that Mexican swill people out here prefer to drink. I get it...it's a business decision.

There are other beers to drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.