Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
.. and in what order?

I'm thinking:

1. Carnivore takes food
2. Carnivore reduces its population
3. That food is immediately tossed into the food bag, as population can't hold it.

Likewise... what happens if the Carnivore 'with Scavenger trait', needs two more food. It attacks the Horned species.. Does it only receive one food from the attack, then it's population is decreased, then you can't scavenge? Or does it immediately get two food, then reduce its population and toss the extra food into the food bag?

And .. how does that work with Fat Tissue?... I guess a detailed description of the order of events of a Fat Tissued Carnivore attacking a Horned species might make it clear for me.

Or... does the Carnivore not get the food from that kill which will put the food higher than it's population level?

Thanks!

edit:

Also, I think I may have seen this answered before, [I've forgotten] does a species scavenge from an attack on its own species?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Willis
United States
Kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution rules pg.12 & 13 wrote:
Horns
A Carnivore must reduce its Population by 1 when attacking this species.
The reduction in Population occurs before the Carnivore takes Meat Food
for the attack.

Scavenger
Take 1 Meat Food from the Food Bank anytime a Carnivore takes food
after attacking a species, including if a Carnivore attacks the species
with the Scavenger trait. If this trait is on a Carnivore, it will take 1
extra Meat Food every time it makes a successful attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Bowler
United States
Old Forge
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To paraphrase Van's citing of the rules:

The carnivore would lose one population prior to taking any food. Therefor, if the loss in population would result in the carnivore now being fully fed, it will not gain any more food from the attack. This will, however, still result in the object of the attack losing a population too.

A species with Fat Tissue can continue to feed after it has fully fed its population up to a maximum of that species body size (A body size 4 Carnivore could take up to 4 food past its population) but after it has fed its population, it would not be forced to attack a species with horns to fill Fat Tissue. It fills Fat Tissue by placing excess food from attacking a species onto the Fat Tissue card. It can continue to attack species until both its Population and Fat Tissue are full.

Since a successful attack occurred, all species with the Scavenger trait would still gain one meat food after the attack, provided they are not fully fed. In the case of a species having both Carnivore and Scavenger traits, if it attacked a species with horns it would first lose one population, then gain food equal to the body size of the species it attacked (provided this does not make it gain more food than its current, post horns-effect population), and if still not fully fed then it would gain one additional meat food from the Scavenger trait.

Species with the Scavenger trait do not care from which species they scavenge. They operate under the motto "If it's meat, I will eat" and so they will eat the corpses of their own if it happens to be available.

Basic things to remember:
*The population loss from horns occurs before any food acquisition
*A species can NEVER take more food than its population (unless it is storing it with Fat Tissue)
*Meat food gained from a Carnivore attack is equal to the body size of the species attacked, provided it doesn't violate the previous statement
*Filling Fat Tissue is optional, though usually beneficial
*Similarly, discarding a card to activate Intelligence is also optional (an Intelligent Carnivore can take the loss in population instead of discarding a card to negate a trait if the player wishes)

I hope this potential over-explanation helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that was very helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolfkin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh snap i played horns wrong.. i gave him food and then dropped population. ok then.. horns are a little more dope than i gave them credit for now. That was literally my only frustration with the card... so how abut that reading comprehension ehh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Einsielder
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vagabond22 wrote:
To paraphrase Van's citing of the rules:

The carnivore would lose one population prior to taking any food. Therefor, if the loss in population would result in the carnivore now being fully fed, it will not gain any more food from the attack. This will, however, still result in the object of the attack losing a population too.

Since a successful attack occurred, all species with the Scavenger trait would still gain one meat food after the attack, provided they are not fully fed. In the case of a species having both Carnivore and Scavenger traits, if it attacked a species with horns it would first lose one population, then gain food equal to the body size of the species it attacked (provided this does not make it gain more food than its current, post horns-effect population), and if still not fully fed then it would gain one additional meat food from the Scavenger trait.

When I got you right you say that the following sequence is right

- carnivore is allowed to attack and attacks
- other animal loses 1 of its population
- carnivore loses 1 of its population due to horns
- carnivore doesn't get meat because all of its population have food

At my table other players said:
- carnivore doesn't need food anymore
- other animal doesn't lose one of its population

Are there hints in the rule book that definitely indicate which variant is correct?

Thanks, D.E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Einsiedler wrote:

- other animal loses 1 of its population
- carnivore doesn't get meat because all of its population have food

At my table other players said:
- carnivore doesn't need food anymore
- other animal doesn't lose one of its population

The first interpretation is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.