Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drummond McCunn
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One of the great things about EE is how it allows you to recreate WWII history, but using the advanced rules you must respond to the inability to predict the course of action. However, the rules are kept as light as possible yet still provide delicious difficult decisions.

Also, the web support from Rick is amazing! I cannot wait for AE.

Okay, moving from thanks to my variant proposal:

Guidance in EE Theory from consim world:
I was wondering why there is no invasion beach in Yugoslavia. The soft underbelly looks pretty far away from Germany.

Alex - It was our way of avoiding a ton of rules as to when the Allies could safely use the Adriatic Sea.

The Allies would have to traverse a narrow body of water between the heel of Italy and Albania and attempt to keep continuous supplies going through that narrow gap under Axis air-supremacy (for most of the war). Also, we would also have had to increase the German force pool to allow them to cover still more beaches above and beyond what they already have to cover. Many German Units were abstracted out as being necessary to cover such low-risk invasion sites as these.

It was easier to exclude invadable sites in the Adriatic. It was a conscious design decision. The result is faster play and streamlined rules, which is keeping with the spirit of the EE Design.

History:
Italy attacked Greece through Albania as one of its first acts of aggression. Later, Germany had to bail Italy out after obtaining its path down the Balkans.

Analysis:
In EE, Albania is a colony and therefore does not provide supply. Therefore, any troops in Albania count against troops in North Africa in competing for the very limited Med supply until a supply line opens up overland. Under EE, Italy can project force for 6 units assuming a historical situation (no Malta) and three Italian Fleets. Therefore, Italy can only have 6 units between Albania and North Africa.

This is clearly too few to invade Greece, which has one of the more potent minor allies and great defensive terrain. Therefore, history will not recur under the current rules.

However, Italy might be lured into Greece if Albania was a home area for purposes of supply! The limited force pool of Italy, the challenge of building it up under Italy's pitiful economy and the need to arrive via sea would make it a stretch, and bordering on need of German bail out, but wouldn't it be nice to have the freedom to take the plunge!

Further, the Allies left the Adriatic as a bathtub to the Italians, so interception in that area also seems unrealistic.

Therefore, I propose that a variant be added where Albania be a supply source to Italy (remain a colony so no new units can be built there or turn into a homeland and allow new units? I prefer the former despite the rules overhead required) and that units can move there without Allied interception, but troop transport to Albania still cost against Italian fleet movement limits.

Thoughts? Am I missing a key rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes good sense for a variant. I would write the rule as Follows:

Albania acts as a non-home-area supply source for Italian units (only), provided the Axis player currently controls both Sicily & Calabria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drummond McCunn
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Having thought about it, there is no need to prohibit interceptions here as that should be covered by the presence of GS in the area.

Will this be getting an official number for the playbook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not immediately. It will take a few playtests, but it might eventually make the 14.0 optionals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drummond McCunn
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll let you know how it works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.