Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Mistretta
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played only my 2nd game of Dreamblade with a seasoned pro and only half way through the game I realized we were playing without using the deathblow rules. He then said that we were playing this way on purpose as it simplifies things and is a beginner's way to learn the game.

My question is this - does playing without the deathblow rules imbalance the game in favor of the player who goes first each round? Why did WOC decide to put in a "deathblow" rule if it can easily be played without it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
The game is already pretty imbalaned IMO.

However, playing without Deathblow would change the game substantially e.g. it would favor some builds a lot over others.

Suffice it to say that it is not a minor variant, it is a HUGE change.

I feel the game is really simple and easy to understand: not sure how teaching someone to play "wrong" would be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Always give new players the full impact of the game. I find that when a game is taught with 'simplified' rules, then the fun is ripped right out of it. The only exception to this would be a game that is actually designed to be learned in increments, but that would only apply to a few very complex games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot fathom playing without deathblows. Deathblows are a balancing mechanism for the second player, though now in Baxar's War there is a mini that negates them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Barkå
Sweden
Solna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game needs the deathblow rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not play without deathblow! The game is already simple enough!

Deathblow is there to counter the fact that one player got to go first. WIthout it, going first is always better unless they have minis with 'ambush'.

IMO the game isn't imbalanced. Wizards just haven't released enough minis to offset certain gross weaknesses the grey/purple minis have. Apparently the Baxar's expansion brings purples back up to par with green/blue. Grey still sucks though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mistretta
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a few more games with deathblow and I am fine with it. I still have a hard time remembering it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.