Subject: Daydreaming during Sunday School rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
The following is a true story (sort of)...

So I'm in an adult Sunday School class yesterday, and we're studying a passage from Job. Anyways, there's about a dozen adults and the pastor sitting around two picnic-sized tables that have been pushed together, with about twenty-five chairs in the room, some set against the walls, when I suddenly go into a trance-like state with amazing ideas filling my head: That's it! This room can be used for a church-based gaming club. It's perfect! Plenty of table space and chairs to get started. And next door there's a huge room that is kind of a meeting hall with a dozen or more round tables with seven or eight chairs around each one, and there's even a kitchen area with a fridge, a coffee pot, a stove, Jumpin' Jehosophat! My prayers have been answered! Actually, that's not really true. Not that I think God doesn't answer prayers; He does. But that's just an expression; I didn't actually pray for it. So, anyways, I continue in my trance, imagining dozens of happy, smiling children and adults, including my wife and kids, filling this huge hall on a Friday night, playing wonderful boardgames and cardgames that I taught them how to play - like Ticket to Ride and Bohnanza and Settlers and Carcassonne and Bang! my goodness the mind boggles, so I'm suddenly there on the night itself, I'm just sitting back, near the kitchen area, enjoying some fruit punch, chatting with other adults about this wonderful evening that everyone is having (much better than sitting around the TV on a Friday, not talking) or perhaps dropping off their kids at a wholesome game night while they go off on a real date for the first time in months, and I'm thinking, This is the contribution I'm making to my church! To my community! And I'm soaking it in, when suddenly...

"...in the Lord's name we pray. Amen." I hear everyone say together. And they look at me, and I just have this blissful smile on my face. And the pastor tells me,

"Robert, I'm glad you enjoyed the class today. I'll see you next Sunday."

Still a bit dazed, but content, I get up from my chair, and attend the morning's service, full of purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on your denomination, you'll want to change the Beer cards in Bang! to Root Beer...shake

Good luck with that. I'm waiting for the right time to do the same thing at my church.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Musgrove
United States
Royse City
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just started doing the same thing at my church. So far it’s working out great.
Everyone has a great time, and allot of fun. I've had the person or two concerned that we may be playing evil games (I thought that mentality was long dead, but it's still alive). I assured them that we were not and invited them to game night.
The hardest part is picking a time when everyone can come. I recommend just picking a time that is good for you.
Also advertise it everywhere you can at the church, local stores, internet,.... Once people come they will be hooked, but you have to get them to come for that first time.
Last game night we had ages range from 8 to upper 70s, all playing together. There is a group of older ladies who brought food.
If you have any questions feel free to ask away and I will help as much as I can with my limited experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daydreaming during Sunday School? hum, hum... laugh OK, I admit, it happened to me as well.

We have a pot-luck lunch once a month. I've been bringing games for the last 6 months or so. The kids played the games, but I was really trying to let the adults have fun as well!

Last Saturday, my pastor and his family came for a game night at our place, they enjoyed it! Ticket to Ride for the adults, but the GameCube for the kids.

However, I think I have a chance of actually playing a game next time we have a pot-luck!

Obviously, you wouldn't bring any game there, there are some that wouldn't be appropriate, and probably you don't own them!

Good luck! And God bless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh why cant you be at my local church Robert? I need a gaming day too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Northglenn
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We game at our church but only once a month. The church has a program where there's childcare for $3 a child and the adults can play. Check it out at http://firstfridaygames.org. There must be 60 people in our Sunday School class (lifegroup) but I can get at most 4 or 5 couples to come and the rest are folks in the area who just like to game. Friday nights are king of devoted to football for a lot of folks in Texas.

Good luck,
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Night at our church this Thursday! It's mostly a night for euchre players, but I've brought my games to three of the nights. I've been mildly successful, so wish me luck again for this Thursday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had a quarterly game night at our church. We have childcare for the little ones at $3 and everyone chips in $5 per person for pizza and snacks. Most of the games played have been stuff like Trivial pursuit but I introduced Apples to Apples to the group and at least a couple of families purchased their own copy soon after. Carcassonne has also been a hit. My two children, ages 3 and 5, opted out of childcare and chose to play games. They played a few games of Cathedral that attracted the attention of some older kids and a few adults as well.

I'm slowly trying to introduce more games to the group but there is still several who are intimitdated, don't like those type of games, fill in the excuse, etc. I have just started to bring several games and offer to play with anyone that shows interest.

Our initial night had about 12 players. We have had two more evenings since then and the last one draw close to 30. I'm hoping to increase the schedule to once every two months then once a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Musgrove
United States
Royse City
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin,

If you want a game day then create one. If you don't have keys and such, then go talk to one of the ministers, elders, or deacons, and get them interested in it. You'll run it all they do is need to keep the church open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I found myself with similar thoughts but at a different venue. I've been a Moose for the past 12 years, and the organization has been transitioning from Lodges to Family Centers for several years now. A Family Center about 45-60 min from me has a kids night twice a week which often has no planned events. I think this is a great opportunity to set up a kids game night. I have kids, a location, food is provided, what more could I need? Time. The kids nights are the same night as my son's Tae Kwan Doe. So I would drive an hour to play with other peoples kids and ignore mine. Can't do it. Maybe I'll work on the local Family Center to do a similar thing on a different night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Klecko
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we're on the subject ...

What do people of religion think about games that involve gods other than your own? I'm interested in playing games like Blue Moon City and Amun-Re, but I think I'd feel guilty making an offering to one of these gods in the game even though it's just a game. I know my God knows it's just a game, but would He approve? Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a monthly game night at my church. It's a combination of children's games, euchre, dominoes, party games and usually one or two games that are popular on the Geek (Ticket to Ride, Diamant, Settlers of Catan). I think I have managed to get one of our organizers interested in newer games -- she has purchased Through the Desert and Diamant already and enjoys them both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Donnell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been running a twice a month game night and its been adopted by the local young adults group in the church as one of 'the' places to be. Seems to be a lot of fun and a lot of gaming with very little effort on my part. Not to mention that I get in a couple of good games (or one good game of Twilight Imperium if I play that...) every other week or so. At various times we've had as few as six people there to as many as thirty. Not bad, but a little crowded when we hit the upper end. We've played everything from Disney Scene It and Uno up to D&D Minis and Twilight Imperium (sorry, doesn't seem to be much Grognard gaming interest...). Been lots of fun. As for games with different gods represented, just be sensitive to the feelings of your guests and willing to discuss things people like and don't like about the game night (this is just common curtesy as far as I'm concerned...). Usually, if someone has an issue with the representation of a different god, they'll gravitate away from that game, but most people I've encountered realize its just a game not a statement about how you live your life.

Chaz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeh Fang
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
joeklecko wrote:

What do people of religion think about games that involve gods other than your own? I'm interested in playing games like Blue Moon City and Amun-Re, but I think I'd feel guilty making an offering to one of these gods in the game even though it's just a game. I know my God knows it's just a game, but would He approve? Any thoughts?

I think nothing of it. It's about as real as slaying an orc or building a castle in game means you're actually slaying an orc or building a castle in real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, I think understanding the monotheism of Judaism and its distinctive characteristics is enhanced by understanding the contemporary religions around it. The self-revelation and sovereignty of the God of Israel contrasts vividly with the nature of other cultures' gods (such as those of Egypt, Canaan or Assyria).

A game set in one of those cultures must reflect the theology of the culture if it is to be representative of the history.

I'm preparing to use "Settlers of Canaan" as a follow-up to adult Bible studies on Joshua and Judges. I already used it once with a high school class.

I also like "Journeys of Paul" as a teaching aid.

We've talked about a game association at church but so far I've only been able to interest one or two people. I had intended to use "Tigris & Euphrates" in connection with a study of Babylon and the appearance of Abraham but as I explained the game, people's eyes got big and I could tell they were thinking, "This is 'way harder than Monopoly!" So I let it ride for now.

I used a miniature American Civil War river gunboat game with the youth some years ago and they had a ball blowing each other out of the water, but that was an all-boys clump of kids and we don't have such now. I might dust those off if I ever get a men's group going.

Mostly, I find that people think an hour-long game is a long game. Also, the idea of playing games for the experience rather than to see "who wins" is novel to most.

It takes time but I occasionally see signs of interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Tao
United States
San Bruno
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joeklecko wrote:

Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.
rom 14:13

play it on the safe side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to update everybody to let you know that the daydream that I had last October has become a reality! This past Saturday, I organized our church's first Game Day.

It went well for an inaugural event. We had 10 people attend. Our family brought about 20 of our own games, and a few of the others attendees brought a handful of their games. Here's a complete list of games played by everybody: Phase 10, Boggle, Gin, Quits, Connect Four, For Sale, Sorry, Clue Jr., Battleship, Blokus and Apples to Apples Jr.

Everyone told me they had a good time, and wanted to make it a regular event, which we've already started planning for. Next time, I'll try to get some of my gateway games to the table,

Probably the biggest compliment I got all day was from my father-in-law. He only plays traditional card games, and always politely declines when I ask him if he wants to join us at any other games (even fillers like For Sale) - but I keep asking anyway. After the event, he told me he had a great time. I was happy that I was able to please someone whose taste in games rarely coincides with mine.

We got messages from other churchgoers that they wanted to attend, but had prior commitments. So we could have a bigger game day in the future.

Afterwards, all of us went out to dinner with our pastor, and continued our fun and fellowship. All around, a great day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.