Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Sarpa
Brazil
Niteroi
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
Hi, guys, i'm here again to ask you for some help with my trip planning. pp

Next Wednesday i'll be arriving at Miami and goind straitgh to Orlando for 14 days.

I'm planning my trip now, but i need your help.

crycryMy parents don't want to go to the Parks (just Magic Kingdom) and I'm in charge to make plans to them.
crycry

I would also appreciate some help with what to do in Miami... blushblushblush

Can you guys help me?

This is the scrap of my planning:

[IMG][/IMG] (image's attached)

As Sea World and Animal Kingdom are smaller parks, i assumed we could do something after them.

My parents are going to Magic Kingdom with us, and we're going to be together on shopping / free days and in Miami.

It would be better if we can do our (couple) "sunset" program together too.

I've considered some places to visit, but i have no clue on what to do there.

Please, guys, would you give me a hand here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat A
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1The Seaquarium in Miami is great. Much better than seaworld for variety of inhabitants and no roller coasters!

1I would highly recommend the trip up to St. Augustine. You can tour the lighthouse, the old fort there is a National Park, and it is just beautiful to walk around the area! So much charm and just a nice place to go if you haven't been to the country's oldest city yet.

1 I don't know how mobile your family is, but there are also lots of parks around Orlando Florida State parks are Rock Springs Run & Weikewa (you can rent kayaks & canoes or go snorkeling here) & Lake Louisa (you can rent bikes here as well as canoes)

1I don't know if you're staying on Disney property while you're going to the parks, but you can rent bikes and on the Boardwalk behind Epcot you can rent those surreys, there's miniature golf somewhere not in the parks, there's also a horseback trail ride (though if you've ever ridden horses before, it might not be as exciting as for say an 8 yr old) that happens at the Wilderness campground, there's also segway tours you can book in advance, there's one inside Epcot, but there's also an off-road that goes around Wilderness Lodge & camp wilderness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat A
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you've never been to Cape Canaveral you all should go - there are only 3 things to do there - see the space center (AWESOME!), visit the Astronaut Hall of Fame (more for the hardcore space enthusiast), and visit the Natl Seashore - some short walking trails on the north side (have to go back to land and back across the intercoastal waterway) that explain about the native Tihucauan (sp?) Indians and their oyster shell mounds, and a driving wildlife self-guided tour and nature center. If you do drive up to the Northern entrance you'll be near the town of New Smyrna & New Smyrna beach - you can actually drive your car on the hard packed sand beach if you drive in Flagler Ave (the northernmost and main drag of New Smyrna Beach) - just like the old races that Daytona used to have, except much slower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biscayne bay national park and the Everglades national park are both about an hours drive from Miami.the

http://www.nps.gov/bisc/index.htm
http://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm

The Everglades should be nice this time of year, the cooler weather keeps the mosquitoes down.

Biscayne Bay is mostly water and accessible by boat, but if you plan ahead you could take a glass-bottomed boat ride to check out some of the reef life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the Kennedy space center, and st. Augustine are both nice places to visit if you end up that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Wyatt
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Floridian born and raised, so I know what I'm talking about.

The space center is absolutely worth doing.

Also, you should adjust the drive times, because traffic on International Drive, Interstate 4 and Interstate 75 is awful depending on when you hit the road.

St. Augustine is worth the day trip. The fort is beautiful and the tour is worth it on the weekend, there are volunteers who fire the cannons. It's really cool.

The best part of Florida is the natural beauty of the state. Enjoy the beaches and the parks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He shouldn't ever end up on I 75 but for a minute or two if at all. He'll be on I-4 the turnpike and I-95 mostly. Orlando is totally a tourist place, you'll have fun at the parks but it's a manufactured tourist town. Miami is a true international city and there is a lot of great stuff to do. Suggestions:

1) Vizcaya museum and gardens (you'll spend about 3-4 hours there)
2) take some cocktails at the poolside restaurant at the biltmore hotel in coral gables
3) go to Florida city and do an airboat Everglades tour (as someone mentioned)
4) have dinner at Versailles in little Havana, it is the epicenter of Cuban American culture. It's extremely cheap.
5) eat at joe's stone crab (call well in advance and you may not even be able to get in) this is moderately pricey.
6) save your shopping for Miami; the malls here are substantially better. Shopping in Miami is better than any North American city aside from New York
7) go eat or grab a drink at the Clevelander on ocean drive in Miami beach.

While you're in orlando, make a trip to Tampa for dinner one night at Bern's steakhouse. It is not cheap and you'll need to get a reservation long in advance (like do it now, don't wait). It is the best meal experience you can have in the Southern United States. Make sure you tell them you want both a dinner reservation and an after dinner reservation for the dessert room. They have been in business for decades, they feed celebrities and U.S. presidents, and they have the largest private wine collection in the world. It's really an incredible place to eat.

Lmk if you need more suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S. just looked at your itinerary and I think you've got too many days in orlando. When you're not going to parks, you'll find yourself tired of the rest of it in a shorter amount of time than you've got scheduled. I would change some of those free days in Orlando to free days in Miami and, really, try and squeeze 48 hours somewhere to go down to key west. It's about 3 hours down from Miami but it's beautiful, there's really no other place in th US like key west...a mix of New Orleans and the Caribbean. You can visit Ernest hemingways house there which is really cool as well as do snorkeling and water activities in water that is so much prettier than Miami beach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Wyatt
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:

While you're in Orlando, make a trip to Tampa for dinner one night at Bern's steakhouse.

This man knows what he is talking about!

He is also right about the shopping in Miami, it is comparable and at times better (due to the lower taxes) than the shopping in New York. The culture in the Tampa and Miami areas is great too, better than where I am, where it's all red necks, politicians and professors (I'm in the state capitol).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Sarpa
Brazil
Niteroi
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
Thanks, guys, for the tips.

As we've already paid for the hotels, we may not be able to change our schedule, adding two more days to Miami. Unfortunately...

St. Augustine was in my list, but not at its top. Now it's in the must-go spot, thanks for your advices.

My father will definetely love Old Town, thanks!

Little Havana seems like a nice place to go too, maybe we'll try to visit the neighbour when we're at Miami.

Key West is just beautiful, huh? I'll try to go too. Definetely. Not sure if we'll have enough time tough.

My folks has already been to Kennedy Space Center, not sure if they want to go back...

I would really like the Everglade ride, but my mom is really affraid of getting drowned, so no possibility to have that kind of fun this time.

All tips for restaurants are notes, thanks.

Any other neighbour near Orlando they should try?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... just wow...

Am I on BGG?...

Not one person said, "you should go to Homestead, FL". Send Tom Vassel an email and go play games with their club.

(I've never contacted TV... I don't know if this is even possible).

Good Luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raujour wrote:
Wow... just wow...

Am I on BGG?...

Not one person said, "you should go to Homestead, FL". Send Tom Vassel an email and go play games with their club.

(I've never contacted TV... I don't know if this is even possible).

Good Luck

Our club has a gathering on the 14th if he's interested...I just never imagine you'd want to play board games when on a vacation like this with time being squeezed as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bernardcs2 wrote:
Thanks, guys, for the tips.

I would really like the Everglade ride, but my mom is really affraid of getting drowned, so no possibility to have that kind of fun this time.

Not sure if this helps Her fear, but it would be pretty hard to drown in the Everglades. It's a swamp and the water is a foot or two deep at most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Sarpa
Brazil
Niteroi
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
Yeah, unfortunately there won't be time to play some boardgames...

And i know about Everglades, it would just be surreal to take her there (lol).

Any tips around Orlando area? Maybe a day trip to a city nearby?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.