13 Posts

Reluctant Enemies» Forums » General

Subject: Recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advice needed. I really like this game (Still working through learning all the rules, but the extended playthrough on MMPs website helps a ton). I would love some suggestions about what other games are like this AND are in print or otherwise available. One of the appeals about RE is that it is strategic, but also pretty cheap and has a smallish footprint. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Well, if you want to continue OCS, Korea is the next logical step, I think. It's available and includes many smaller scenarios that are great for learning the system.

I don't own Burma, but that is cheaper than Korea and also available on the MMP site.

You can also shop around for better deals online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes; as mentioned above, (almost?) every OCS game has small scenarios, including some on a single map. The appeal of Reluctant Enemies is that the entire game is small and affordable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
POUM
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same place as you, learning OCS playing RE. I'm thinking about Burma, cus I'm intrested in that theatre of war. But i have the impression it's Big and harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Richards
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Of the games in-print, here are my impressions size-wise:

Burma is the next-smallest. It's very logistical, and the counter count is low.

Korea is probably next. There's a lot of map, but relatively fewer counters.

Baltic Gap only has two maps, but a lot of counters. It's also very playable.

Blitzkrieg Legend is short and dense.

Guderian's Blitzkrieg is the monster, with six maps, tons of counters and a super-long campaign.

I like them all, and have played Baltic Gap the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, I'm leaning toward another OCS (although none of the situations seem quite as appealing), but am open to other systems that have a similar feel. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Palmer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
AA41 wrote:

Blitzkrieg Legend is short and dense.

I really enjoy BL but 'short' is not a word I'd use to describe it. But I agree with the statement that all of the games have workable short scenarios. Burma seems to have the highest count of game specific rules/exceptions but if you have an interest there I'm sure you will grok them with no problem. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hicks
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burma is has very interesting with the horrible terrain but quite playable with the low counter density. Also, you just can resist the "water buffalo" SPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Richards
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To be more exact, TBL has a small number of very lengthy turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sicily is said to be a great introduction and I can say Tunisia is wonderful for learning the system. Both will have a second edition done and Sicily II will be available together with a full magazine on OCS.

Whilst waiting for it, I would go for Burma II or Baltic Gap, depending on your taste. Burma if you want to see a sideshow theater (and I recommend that you find Slim's memories to read whilst playing) and Baltic Gap if you want to see German v Russians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
RE just hit my table...the extended playthrough you're referring to is "turn 2" of the playthrough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
RE just hit my table...the extended playthrough you're referring to is "turn 2" of the playthrough?

It's way better than that, it's the whole rest of the game!!! It's tricky to find (if someone is better at linking please do), but it's on the main game page near the bottom at external links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tord Hoppe
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Extended Starter Guide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.