Subject: Any way to play full coop? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tricia Morris
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'm interested in backing Conan for my group because it looks really interesting and I like the theme. However my group is not really fond of the 1 vs others type of game.

We mostly play full co-op games like Eldritch horror, and even when we play vs games it's usually all vs, like core worlds and even then we'll negotiate who can take which planets so everyone gets one and there's little conflict.

Therefore wondering if anyone knows if there's a way to play the overlord as an AI type thing so that it can be played all coop vs the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have said their are no plans for a co op mode from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is definitely no way at present and the official statement is that there are no publisher plans for releasing full co-op rules (or rules for solo play, either).

I would be surprised if there were not fan made variants for this down the road, but there are no guarantees that they would suit you, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some fans are working on AI / full coop mode, apparantly, to fix this major design flaw!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
If you truly want coop, the players can work together to decide what the "Overlord" will do. Just pick what seems worst for you as a player!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
If you truly want coop, the players can work together to decide what the "Overlord" will do. Just pick what seems worst for you as a player!

I still think however, players will need to work together in order to beat many of the scenarios, so this game certainly requires more cooperation than many other boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would glady jump into this project if a solo mode and full coop would be made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one of the reasons I've been waffling on backing. I love Conan, the minis, illustrations, the graphic design. But I prefer pure co-op since that works best with my group. And I do have a metric ton of Shadows of Brimstone coming which is co-op and has player progression/leveling.

But I'm still debating so haven't made a final decision yet. For one-off nights it would work fine. But then we got Descent and Imperial Assault too. Damnit, too many cool games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always had the same problem, but seeing how much my group enjoyed Imperial Assault, I went straight into backing Conan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
It's one of the reasons I've been waffling on backing. I love Conan, the minis, illustrations, the graphic design. But I prefer pure co-op since that works best with my group. And I do have a metric ton of Shadows of Brimstone coming which is co-op and has player progression/leveling.

But I'm still debating so haven't made a final decision yet. For one-off nights it would work fine. But then we got Descent and Imperial Assault too. Damnit, too many cool games.

Exact same situation here!
Would jump straight in if it had even rudimentary solo play. All they need is a small card deck to automate the baddies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking for a full coop mode for Conan game is like asking to play Claustrophobia @4-p, or Fief @2-p, etc.
No harm asking, but the game is just not designed for this.

A fan will probably create a full coop variant (it often happens for "1 vs many" games), but if it happens I don't expect it to be half as good as the game played as intended.

If you absolutely want to play a full coop, there is a serious risk you'll be disappointed. There are some good full coop games out there, just check them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm quite sure it can be played solo/full-coop (fan-made variant etc). But the risk is that it would feel like playing piano with boxing gloves...
Waiting for retail release and some solo variants to pop out, then making your own opinion on these is IMO the most reasonable option.
Or, you could also get rid of one of your other "1 vs many" games devil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Designing a solo or coop variant isn't too difficult to think off.

As I could see from the videos, the way enemies operate seems to be rather static and straightforward, so just assuming that every enemy in line of sight is able to charge and attack seems enough for me.

Ofcourse I may be simplistic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It seems that the AI system that is used in Gears of War (FFG) might be a really good fit for this. It would require a PnP stack of cards to pull off but that's not an insurmountable issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:

This works for me and it's how I play games like Level 7 Omega Protocol solo. Granted, I can understand not everyone might enjoy this "style" of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:

Yup, this. It's a lot of money for one-off sessions, and I've not even managed to get Imperial Assault to the table yet.

There's a lot of stuff in that there box though....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the easiest although not the fastest way to play coop/solo is to wait between overlord/hero moves until you forget what your thoughts behind a move have been.

this mode is accelerated by copious amounts of alcohol or a generally bad memory - a hit on the head with a war hammer might help too.

(disclaimer: don't try without consulting your doctor)

PS: if you generally have no idea what you are doing you still can be surprised even if you made the enemy move yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Yup, this. It's a lot of money for one-off sessions, and I've not even managed to get Imperial Assault to the table yet.

There's a lot of stuff in that there box though....

Imperial Assault is not bad. Very much Descent 2.0 but with blasters, so I'm just hoping the end of the 20 hour campaign isn't resolved with a damp squib dice-off.

Conan looks bloody brilliant. But with Kingdom Death, Super Dungeon Explore, Fireteam Zero, and the rest of Brimstone still on their way I just can't justify it.

Unless they added coop play... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Conan looks bloody brilliant. But with Kingdom Death, Super Dungeon Explore, Fireteam Zero, and the rest of Brimstone still on their way I just can't justify it.

OFF tOPIC: I'm still on the fence for Fireteam Zero... I pledged a buck but But wtih Conan looking so amazing I don't know if I should invest in Fireteam... I already have Gears of War too... any words to sway me either way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
OFF tOPIC: I'm still on the fence for Fireteam Zero... I pledged a buck but But wtih Conan looking so amazing I don't know if I should invest in Fireteam... I already have Gears of War too... any words to sway me either way?

GoW is an excellent coop.
If you play coops only, get FTZ, so you'll have a different one (can't tell if it's better than GoW, never played it, but at least it'll be different).
If you don't play coops only, get Conan (especially if you don't already have any "1 vs. many" games).
My 2 cts.
Edit: of course if you have enough $ & shelf space, get both...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:

GoW is an excellent coop.
If you play coops only, get FTZ, so you'll have a different one (can't tell if it's better than GoW, never played it, but at least it'll be different).
If you don't play coops only, get Conan (especially if you don't already have any "1 vs. many" games).
My 2 cts.
Edit: of course if you have enough $ & shelf space, get both...

Oh I'm getting Conan for sure. I actually don't have many 1 vs many games aside from Last Night on Earth and Claustrophobia which is 1 vs 1, I'm just not sure about FTZ... I like the theme a lot but wonder if it is worth having at the same time as GoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:

Tough call. GoW is cracking, though no longer supported. FT0 looks great, and the theme is what pulled me in eventually. I tend to prefer full coops so I can solo them to learn the rules and pass the time between games. But Conan has a great theme, and the tiles and minis look brill too, although they've still got time to pull a Brimstone and dump the quality right down. They might have to actually, because of the sheer number of them. Myth managed to pull off amazing minis at huge quantity with dubious rules. Brimstone had cool rules with shoddy minis. Maybe Conan will get it right. Okay I'm rambling.
If in doubt do what I do and pick the theme you prefer. I like the looks of FT0 but I'm not evangelical about it, and I didn't go full retard on the pledge level, though it came close at one point towards the end...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil J.
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the fence about this kickstarter, and having it perform well as a solo/co-op (either official or unofficial) could be the tipping point for me as well.

Just watching the Conan review and tutorials it seems like it would be fairly easy to automate the bad guys. Simpler than even Descent or Imperial Assault which have their own successful solo/co-op variants. Anyone disagree with this assessment for Conan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actually the overlord design makes single/coop mode a bit more complicated - since he is a bit more of an independent player. Sure, you probably can fake something together, but you might loose the interesting looking activation scheme they came up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kipik kipik
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1
for me, this will be one of the toughest games to adapt for solo mode. I know at least two fans are already working on systems for solo play BUT they have to do it for one scenario. You really have to think every scenario as a game of its own and create different systems for each. I could add that some scenarios will probably not be playable solo at all.

I may be wrong but...

that said, full coop is another story. I really don't see the point as the overlord has probably the most interesting role (or, at least, his role is as interesting as any other player. He's not a DM at all but a real and strategically thinking opponnent). Reading some testing groups reports, most probable scenario is that every player in a group is looking forward for his turn to play the Overlord.

If a solo mode is mandatory to you, I'd advice you to wait for retail release and see what has been developped.

If your concern is mostly about n-vs-1, don't worry too much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.