Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yeh Fang
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
For our celebration of Mid-Autumn Festival we went to Golden Gate Park, and naturally, I brought a backpack full of games.

Unfortunately, of the dozen people who were there, I only succeeded in convincing two girls to play, Xue, whom I'd taught how to play just two days ago through the BGG implementation, and her roommate Suli. A third girl had sat down, but quickly decided it "looked too complicated" as I was taking the pieces out.

After approximately 15 minutes of explaining the rules in Chinese, we begin.

Xue began and placed her leaders next to the four blue river tiles, mimicing what I'd done in the tutoring game. I begin near the southwest corner below the river. Suli then places her leaders at the southwest corner, within stone throwing distance of mine.

I look at the pieces, look at her, and tell her she's going to get eaten alive. She shrugs.

A few turns later, she actually starts the war just to see what it's like. In response, I sacrifice her priest and some of his followers to the Goat God. Her king takes advantage of the lack of royalty to usurp the throne. Xue is off by herself playing Simcity.

Eventually this southern kingdom solidifies with three of my leaders and Suli's politically neutered king, whose other leaders decide to dump him and immigrate north. I build a monument in the northeast corner with my king and Xue's kingdom gets wrecked somewhere in the process.

Around this time, the girls decide to ally against me. "Defeat the TA" they chant. Unfortunately, their idea of defeating me consisted of what amounted to throwing colored wooden blocks at me. I subtly tell them that maybe they should give up their alliance and throw the blocks at each other. They refuse. So I build some more monuments.

A little later, the rest of the people are bored with their non-eurogames and wanted to leave, so I begin replacing tiles and swallowing up tiny villages made of gold to try to quickly end the game. The eventual score was me with 15, Suli with 8, and Xue with 7.

Despite all that, they found the game interesting, and really liked the production quality. They even asked for a FLGS so as to acquire a copy for themselves despite it's pretty hefty price tag, so I guess today was a success?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracil wrote:
They even asked for a FLGS so as to acquire a copy for themselves despite it's pretty hefty price tag, so I guess today was a success?
It's a success if they actually buy the game and play it.

If these were all non-euro players (other than Xue's one previous T&E game), then you're pretty brave to start with T&E! I think it's a toughie since the rules seem so non-intuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeh Fang
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yep, they're all non-Euro gamers.

I don't consider T&E that heavy actually. Basically, there's these 4 color leaders that must always be next to a temple. If you place a same color tile in the kingdom they're in you get a cube of that color, with an exception for black leaders. Blue tiles on rivers only, and nothing else on rivers. Internal conflict with red. External with color. Attacker reveals first and defender wins ties. You get a cube for every piece removed. Get treasure if 2+ treasures and trader. You can build a monument if 4 tiles of same color together, and one color has to match, and you get points if you have the same color leader at the end of your turns.

Compare it with, say, Puerto Rico, which most of BGG consider as slightly lighter than T&E. The roles and phases aren't too bad (it's still a concept new to most non-gamers though), but the buildings make things icky and often require at least one play through for people to properly understand what to do with them. It also makes build phases take a while as people read through what every single thing does. The captain phase is also a pain to explain, especially with wharfs and warehouses and rotting goods.

It probably helps that I've been playing T&E on BGG a lot recently though, so the rules remain very fresh in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.