Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Gallacher
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to preface this review with the following warning -

WARNING, WARNING, I LOVE THIS GAME !

Feel sufficiently warned? Not sure why you needed to be warned about how good the 19th ranked BGG game just might be? Please allow me to highlight why this game simply ROCKS!

(For those of you who are not fans of Rock, may I also add that it Raps, Jazzes, Pops, Punks, Hip Hops, it can Polka and it occasionaly Merengue's )

First - What it is not.

It is not multiplayer. 2 players only.
It is not cooperative.
It is not always easy to find.
It is not a lightweight filler.

NOW - What's in the box?

- a very simple game board ( 2 X 11 cross hatched lines, with placement markers for rings )
- 5 big, meaty rings of each colour (Black and White) They feel great!
- 51 common marker disks (Blue on the outer ring, Black on one side, White on the other) Again, soooo very meaty and manageable.
- Instructions - but after 2 minutes of play you will never need them again.

The Set-Up

You and your opponent alternate in placing your rings on the intersection of the crossed lines - this may also include the edges.

The Object

Get three of your rings off the board. Ooooo, so simple an object. So very simple. HA!

The Playing Of The Game - Or Is It The Game Playing You?

You alternate playing a coloured disk of your own colour into a ring of your own colour. Once you play the disc you must then move your ring.

Here's where the fun begins!

You may move your ring to any open intersection that follows a straight line from where you began with the following caveats in place:

1. You may not pass over another ring of any colour.
2. If you pass over any disc already placed you must stop at the next available open space after that disc.

Simple. No problems. It couldn't be any easier.

Except . . .

Any disc that you pass over flips over and changes colours.

Othello. Polarity. A variety of other games comes to mind that exhibit similar attributes, but this ones different. Ohhhhhhh so different.

Create a situation where 5 or more of your (or opponent's ) colour becomes exposed in a connected row and the true genius of this game comes to light.

Five (5) of the connected discs MUST be removed from the board ( if there's more than 5 they chose which 5 - must be in a connected row not scattered in the row). The player who's coloured discs were removed must now remove one of their own Rings from the board and place it in their score pile. 3 Rings come off the board of any one colour and the game is over.

That's it.

Simple!

What's so hard?

Well nothing except that as you get closer to winning the game you are also removing the play markers that will allow you to KEEP winning. The closer to victory, the harder it gets.
The closer you are to winning; the more opportunities you opponent has to place blockers and screw you over for movement.

Remember - you only start with 5 rings and you need 3 of them off the board.

The balance / counterbalance of this game is superb.

To ensure my victory I have to put my opponent in a position of strength - UNLESS you have planned the position of your pieces so well in advance that you become a JUGGERNAUT OF FLINGING RINGS.

Did I mention that this game Rocks?

Here's why -

Big meaty pieces.
No wooden cubes. ( I like cubes, but I've got big hands and I fumble with them)
Hell, no wood period - ( unless you count pulp products )
Simple rules.
Every piece moves in the exact same way.
But every disc can be mine or my opponents.
The face of the game board changes every single turn.
Constant movement / counter-movement.
There is NEVER a stagnant moment in this game - EVER!
Strategy galore. (Where are my initial placements going to be? Do I block? If I move I ruin my own line to stop my opponent, but they know that don't they? They might be setting me up. Be aggressive? How aggressive? What if my moves create their connections? Argghh!)

Sooooooo good!

Where do you play Yinsh?

Yinsh fits perfectly in any serious gaming group.
Simple enough for anyone to learn. Complex enough to take years to master. The better the opponent, the better your games will be.

It works well in a bar (although the Pub Players - whose posts I love - would likely tell you that you need a plastic or wooden board for full saturation protection)
Try it a a Starbucks one night! Yinsh goes great with coffee.
A cottage? Yeah baby!
Nice evening alone with your significant other. Oh yeah - but lets not get carried away with rings OK?

If nothing else has swayed your opinion then please consider the following (sorry Bill Nye):

Go is arguably the best abstract game ever. It is potentially over 3000 years old depending on which origin story is correct.
Go is ranked 18th overall on the BGG Top Games list.

Yinsh has been around for only 3 years and it's only one place behind it on the same list.

Lets see where it ranks in another 2997 years.

YINSH ROCKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Leveille
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fling Da Rings 'Till The Rooster Sings! Cock A Doodle Wa
I think this game would be much better if they tacked on a fantasy setting, maybe a Lord Of The Rings thing would match up perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Gallacher
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You sir ... are an ass. arrrh

I'm bringing the whole Gipf project over and and I'm going to play it with everyone else EXCEPT you.

What's this SAFAGA crap? I thought we settled on B.A.L.L. - S.A.C?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, Yinsh has sunk to 29th! What's up with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.