Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Latshaw
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
What happens if you wish to build an industry in a location that requires a coal cube and there is no coal available on the board and no connected link to a port (so the foreign market can't be used)?

My interpretation is that industry can't be built in that location until one of those conditions is met. Is that right?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sabgfan wrote:
What happens if you wish to build an industry in a location that requires a coal cube and there is no coal available on the board and no connected link to a port (so the foreign market can't be used)?

My interpretation is that industry can't be built in that location until one of those conditions is met. Is that right?

Thanks.

If you can't transport the required coal to the location in question then you can't build there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United Kingdom
Northampton
Northants.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You're right.

Coal must be "transported" to the building site via canals or rails - so if no route is available to the intended build site an industry requiring coal cannot be built there.

Any required iron equipment from the foundries can get there via the pre-existing roads network (not shown on map) so does not need the canal/rail link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a little mnemonic in our group to help clarify the rule about Coal and Iron Shipments:

"Coal Trolls and Iron Faeries"

That is to say that Coal must have a Canal or Train Network to be accessed while Iron "Flys" to the site unaided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coal is required to run the machinery at your factory/industry building ... it's an ongoing requirement and you need a way to continuously transport large quantities of coal for the rest of the game. And I guess the coal for railroads represents the coal used to power those trains?

Iron does not represent actual iron ore. You're not making tools or cars or steel. "Iron" would better be called "tools". Tools/machinery is smaller and pretty much represents a one-time delivery that could be done over regular old roads ... no special mass transport (canals or railroads) required. It doesn't "fly", it drives. Or maybe it's carted.

Anyway, that's how I've understood the theme of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:

Iron does not represent actual iron ore. You're not making tools or cars or steel. "Iron" would better be called "tools". Tools/machinery is smaller and pretty much represents a one-time delivery that could be done over regular old roads ... no special mass transport (canals or railroads) required. It doesn't "fly", it drives. Or maybe it's carted.

That's how I explain it thematically, too. But we still all say that iron "teleports". :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:
snoozefest wrote:

That's how I explain it thematically, too. But we still all say that iron "teleports".

So do we blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.