Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy of this game yesterday at the local Barnes & Noble to play with my children, ages 3 and 5. Last night it was too late to play with the children, so my wife and I played a 2 player game as a run through. My wife didn't pick up on the tactics right away so I trounced her pretty badly.

Tonight the entire family gave it a try. I set the game up and quickly explained the rules to the children. Both understood the rules immediately and quickly grasped the idea of cutting off parts of the board. My wife was quickly cut off onto small areas and was eliminated early with only 14 fish. The two children and I battled across the board and soon we each only had one penguin left. I moved my penguin down to cut off my three year old daughter. Without any prompting, she realized what was going on, and cut me off instead. She was left with an 8 tile area to herself and proceeded to gather each one while my son and I battled over a smaller area.

Final Scores:
3 year old: 30 fish
5 year old: 26 fish
Me: 24 fish
Wife: 14 fish

The kids absolutely loved the game and begged to play again but it was their bedtime. They both asked if they could play again tomorrow evening.

I was impressed at how quickly both of my children picked up some of the finer points of the game and how well each played without any advice from the adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I picked up a copy of this game yesterday at the local Barnes & Noble

That is amazing in and of itself. Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark,

I found out on BGG that Barnes & Noble was having a nationwide promotion for National Boardgaming week. My local B&N had copies of, among other things, Puerto Rico, Rhinelander, Tsuro, Vampire, Niagra, Settlers and Hey! That's My Fish. Everything was at list price, so no bargains to be had, but I purchased the game to support their effort.

Hopefully the promotion will be a success and we will see more games carried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your session report looks very much like the session report I was going to write . I picked up a copy of HtmF at my FLGS last weekend and broke it out today. I played a couple quick games with my daughter (6) and my mother-in-law. My daughter beat us the first game, 36 to my 30 and my mother-in-law at 24. The next game, she beat me again, but I came in third. She seems to enjoy the game. That is a plus, and should be, in any body's hat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.