Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Norlund
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
There was something called Board Boss which is no longer available. Not sure if it was any good. I want to be able to create a board game on the computer (not to print or make physically, just play). Preferably that allows you to make if/when commands and your own board, etc. Anyone know of something like this? Would anything else work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of what you're asking for, only not exactly user-friendly:
http://www.vassalengine.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at this. I have tried it a very little bit, but I think it might work for what you are suggesting.

http://www.gamemaker.nl/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Walker
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still download Board Boss from the following address:

http://www.onekit.com/store/product/boardboss.html

I see no means to register, but the evaluation version might satisfy the curious. I'm mildly curious, but I don't have Windows to try it out on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia Milne
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to make abstract board games try Zillions of Games. It has a scripting language so that you can make your own board games. Googling "zillions of games" finds it pretty easily.

There are thousands of abstract board games on its site which have been donated by board game geeks. There are hundreds of chess varients.

You can download a demonstration version which plays about 40 built in games, but it will not play games scripts. You have to pay about 25 dollars to unlock it so that you get about 300 built in games and gain the ability to play games scripts.

I hope that helps. There are various freeware offerings but they are so far behind Zillions of Games, that I preferred to pay 25 bucks and start right into the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zillions is good, because it comes with an AI - teach it the rules of the game, and it will then proceed to beat you

Well, not necessaritly; I find Zillions plays chesslike games very well, and connection games pretty poorly.

There is some support for random elements like dice, but not a great deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Norlund
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the responses. I downloaded the first two. The third doesn't really fit. Anyone have any recommendations about making an adaption of, or a totally new roll and move game, with cards and situations that force you to move back or start over with an overall goal such as reaching the last square? It looks to me like Game maker is for making actual video games while vassal is really geared toward military strategy games or CCG's. Or has someone found differently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a simple Windows program to speed-up creating and printing decks of cards. It is online here: http://www.nand.it/nandeck

The thread discussing the program is here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/957623

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally remembered the name: Cyberboard. It's made for play by email. It's donate-ware.

http://cyberboard.brainiac.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jnorlund wrote:
Anyone have any recommendations about making an adaption of, or a totally new roll and move game, with cards and situations that force you to move back or start over with an overall goal such as reaching the last square?

If it's a kid's game, then no. If it's an adult game, then my recommendation is don't waste your time. It's fine for kids who are learning to follow instructions. (they read the card and then implement the card's instructions) For adults this is just boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Norlund
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
taraba wrote:
jnorlund wrote:
Anyone have any recommendations about making an adaption of, or a totally new roll and move game, with cards and situations that force you to move back or start over with an overall goal such as reaching the last square?

If it's a kid's game, then no. If it's an adult game, then my recommendation is don't waste your time. It's fine for kids who are learning to follow instructions. (they read the card and then implement the card's instructions) For adults this is just boring.

I am not sure you got what I meant. I mean I want to be able to create a regular board game in a computer format to play in windows. Such as monopoly, fireball island, chutes and ladders, etc (for example). Vassal helps me come close, but it was made for the strategy set and not with regular roll-and-move board games in mind.

If you did understand what I said and I in turn misunderstood you, I don't know why it would be boring for adults considering the popularity of games like monopoly in software versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Schwarzmann
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a great piece of software that's missing from this thread's list. There were dozens of popular German games that were made from it.

It was basically just a sandbox, there was no programming or scripts, it was just like having a virtual online board game. You would import the graphics, and it had premade stuff like dice, there were options to "flip" things, options for a deck of cards. Very well made.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Schwarzmann
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Vassal Engine and Cyberboard geared towards war games? What's the best software to make German-style games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pschwar wrote:
Is Vassal Engine and Cyberboard geared towards war games? What's the best software to make German-style games?

Although they are primarily used for wargames, they are easily useable for Euros if someone wants to make modules/gameboxes for them.

Someone just recently did the entire Carcasonne Line for vassal quite successfully

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.