Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia Solo Variant - Demon AI

Set Up:

Solo player plays as the Humans (or Kartikeya in demon vs. Kartikeya scenarios).

For the Demon side, place two different coloured D6 with the 6 side face-up on the table (hereafter referred to as the Demon Dice and the Threat Dice).

Event Cards, threat point tokens and the Board of Destiny are not used in the solo game.

Remove the following advantage cards from the deck: "Oil for your lamp", "Our faith will protect us".

The Aura of Blessing should now read: "During the initiative phase the Redeemer causes the Threat Dice to reduce by 2"

The Demonic Mechanism tile should now read: "The first time a human warrior enters this tile, increase the Threat Dice by 2 to a maximum of 6"

All tiles with a burrowing hole on them are now treated as Lairs instead.

Human Player Turn:

Both Initiative and Action phases played normally (human player now determines orientation of tiles when exploring for an easier challenge, orient tiles randomly for a greater challenge).

Demon Player Turn:

Threat Phase:

If there is a Demon currently on the board, skip to step c). If there is not a demon on the board Roll a D6, if result is:

a) higher than the current Demon Dice value - place the Demon indicated by the scenario you are playing at the legal location closest to the highest number of humans (random if more than one suitable location), reset the Demon Dice to 6 and then end the Threat Phase. If there are no legal locations available, place the demon at the unexplored entrance closest to the largest group of humans, regardless of the legality of the placement.

b) equal to or lower than the current Demon Dice value - reduce the value of the Demon Dice by 1 and then proceed to step c)

c) Follow steps 1 - 4 in order (Note: If any of these steps reduce the Threat Dice to less than 1, end the threat phase after that step, and roll the Threat Dice to determine its new value):

1 - If there are less trogs on the board than the current Threat Dice value and

i) - there is at least one legal placement tile within 4 tiles of a human, add trogs equal to the current Threat Dice value to the legal locations closest to the highest number of characters (random if more than one equidistant location), maximum 3 trogs per tile (maximum 1 if a corridor), until all trogs are placed or all legal locations are filled.

ii) - there are no legal placement tiles within 4 tiles of a human, add trogs to the unexplored entrance containing the largest group of humans until there are 3 trogs total on the tile, regardless of the legality of the placement.

In either case i) or ii), reduce the Threat Dice value by 1.

2 - If there are trogs that are two or more spaces away from humans, all trogs are +1 move for this turn, reduce Threat Dice value by 2.

3 - If there are trogs that are exactly one tile away from, or on the same tile as, humans, all trogs are frantic for this turn, reduce Threat Dice by 3.

4 - The Demon Threat Phase ends.

Demon Action Phase:

All demon warriors will move towards the closest human group (the largest if more than one are equal distance - determine randomly if equal sized groups are equal distance) then attack the most wounded member of the group (lowest defense if tied). Demon warriors must still obey tile limits (3 warriors per tile - 1 per tile on a corridor)

Special Scenario Rules:

Base Game

"Hit Them Where It Hurts": When a new tile is placed, if the Threat Dice is currently 3 or higher, add 2 trogs to the tile and reduce the Threat Dice by 2.

"The Ritual": During the Demon Action Phase, all demon warriors will attempt to move towards the Redeemer in the Pentacle Room. If they are forced to stop by any human warriors they will attack. If the Demon of Cruelty is on the board the following apply: it will not move, all trogs automatically get frantic at no Threat Dice cost, and if trogs are added during the Demon Threat Phase add one additional trog.

"The Hunt's Afoot": If a demon warrior reveals a stash tile, increase the Threat Dice to 6. If at any point the Demon of Combat is on a tile with at least two human warriors, it will trigger "You Shall Not Pass" (once per game).

Furor Sanguinis

All Furor Sanguinis Scenarios: Any time the demon AI rolls doubles in combat (after all rerolls are complete), roll randomly on the Deadly Destiny Event Table and place the appropriate token in front of you. Activate that event during the demon players next threat phase. Each result can only be activated once per game, if a result is rolled a second time, no event is activated that roll. If the demon player is instructed by an event to roll extra dice, instead increase the Threat Dice by 2. If the demon must select a tile for an effect, randomly choose a tile adjacent to Kartikeya.

"Shared Destinies": Not supported

De Profundis

"Aura of Consecration" should now read "During the initiative phase, reduce the Threat Dice by 2."

"Power Drain" should now read "Reduce the Threat Dice by half (rounded up)".

"Confusion" should now read "Reduce the Threat Dice to a value of 1."

All De Profundis Scenarios: If at the beginning of step 1) of the Demon Threat Phase, the value of the Threat Dice is higher than the number of Trogs by 3 or more, place a hellhound on the board following the same placement rules as placing Trogs, and reduce the Threat Dice value by 2. Then continue step 1) as usual. Each turn that there is at least one Hellhound on the board, roll a dice each for their stats (as indicated on the Hellhound card). Place the dice as usual, except if you roll a one use the "null" stats (indicated on the card by a red "x"). If there are already two hellhounds on the board, follow the usual rules for step 1).

"The Demon's Soul": When the Secret Stash tile is to be placed, place it at the furthest entrance from the Pentacle Room.

"The Forge": Sorcerer Demon is always placed as the first Demon and always on the Pentacle Room, regardless of legality. Pentacle room is considered closest tile to largest group of humans unless it has 5 Demon Warriors. Trogs in the Pentacle Room do not count towards "number of Trogs on the board" for purposes of the Demon Threat Phase. If there are 2 or less Trogs in the Pentacle Room they will not move. Sorcerer Demon will not leave the Pentacle Room tile. If there are 3 TP on the Pentacle Room and the Sorceror Demon is there, roll a d6, 1-2 the Demon will add +1 health to the artifact (remove 3TP), 3-6 add +1 defense (remove as many TP as possible up to 6TP) or attack humans if any are on the tile. Ignore Zling Zlong Activation.

"Cleansing with Fire": The first time the threat dice reaches 0 or less, instead of rolling it for a new value, immediately set it to a value of 6. After that follow the usual rules.

"Demands": The Searching Demon always has +1 Move and Elusive, if it is on the board at the beginning of the Demon Threat Phase, lower the Threat Dice by 1. During the Demon Action Phase, all demons will move towards the Exit Zone by the most direct route.

Various

Any scenario where a demon is placed by a scenario trigger instead of the demon player: Ignore the Demon Dice during the Demon Threat phase. Instead, place the demon at the time and place indicated by the scenario.

Any scenario where the demon may place trogs during tile placement: The Demon will do so within tile limits and if enough miniatures are available, paying whatever stat reduction cost is necessary, if TPs are required, reduce the Threat Dice value by the number of TPs required.

Examples of Play:

1 - At the beginning of the Demon Threat Phase there are is no demon on the board, the Demon Dice is currently at 4. Rolling a D6 results in a roll of 2 so the Demon Dice is reduced by 1 to now display 3 (step b) and the player proceeds to step c. The Threat Dice is currently at 4 and there are 5 trogs on the board, so no new trogs are added. 2 of the 5 trogs are 2 spaces away from the closest human so all trogs get +1 movement for the turn, and the Threat Dice is reduced by 2 and now shows a value of 2. The remaining 3 trogs are on a square with a human so the trogs all get Frantic and the Threat Dice is reduced by 3. This reduction results in a value of -1 for the Threat Dice so the Demon Threat Phase is now over. The Threat Dice is rolled and a new value of 3 is displayed.

2 - At the beginning of the Demon Threat Phase there is a demon on the board so the player skips straight to step c. The Threat Dice is currently at 5, but there are only 2 trogs on the board. There are two legal tiles to place trogs, so 3 trogs are added to the board on the legal tile closest to the largest group of humans, 2 trogs are placed on the other legal tile and the Threat Dice is reduced to 4. The 7 trogs now on the board are all within one tile of a human player, so the trogs all get Frantic and the Threat Dice is reduced to 1 and the Demon Threat Phase ends.

3 - At the beginning of the Demon Threat Phase there is a demon on the board so the player skips straight to step c. The Threat Dice is currently at 5, but there are only 2 trogs on the board. There are no legal tiles to place trogs, so 3 trogs are added to the board on the entrance tile containing the largest group of humans and the Threat Dice is reduced to 4. 2 of the Trogs are 2 spaces away from a human so all Trogs get +1 movement and the Threat Dice is reduced to 2. The 3 trogs just placed are on a tile with humans so all trogs are Frantic and the Threat Dice is reduced to -1. The Demon Threat Phase ends and the Threat Dice is rolled, producing a new result of 2

4 - At the beginning of the Demon Threat Phase there are is no demon on the board, the Demon Dice is currently at 4. Rolling a D6 results in a roll of 5 so a Demon is added to the board on a legal tile, if possible, or if no legal tiles are present it is placed on the entrance tile with the most humans. The Demon Dice is set to a value of 6 and the Demon Threat Phase ends.

5 - At the beginning of the Demon Threat Phase there is a demon on the board so the player skips straight to step c. The Threat Dice is currently at 2, but there is only 1 trog on the board. There is an empty entrance tile, so 2 trogs are place on that tile and the Threat Dice is reduced by 1 to a value of 1. Two of the trogs are at least 2 tiles away from a human so all trogs get +1 movement and the Threat Dice is reduced by 2 to a value of -1. The Demon Threat Phase ends and the Threat Dice is rolled, resulting in a new value of 6
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Claustrophobia Solo Variant - Demon AI
Details added: some scenario specific rules, added the Deadly Destiny event table for Furor Sanguinis scenarios, Burrowing Hole tiles now treated as Lairs, Demon Dice ignored in scenarios where demons are place by scenario triggers instead of by the demon player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems a pretty good set of solo rules.

Now, what about playing the Demon as solo? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:
Seems a pretty good set of solo rules.

Now, what about playing the Demon as solo? whistle

Now that is a challenge! Tough to make given the humans have different objectives in each scenario. Might be possible though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added: Rules for Hellhounds when using De Profundis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added: Expansion and scenario specific adjustments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried the AI on Sunday. Well done.
Writeup here.

One question arose when I played.
Troggs 2 or more tiles away triggers the bonus movement for all Troggs, but what if they are connected through a Hole in the ground like in the picture below?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
Writeup here.

Troggs 2 or more tiles away triggers the bonus movement for all Troggs, but what if they are connected through a Hole in the ground like in the picture below?

Great question. I would say that tile distance is based on movement required, so if they are connected through a hole in the ground and the total movement is less than 2 they would trigger the bonus movement. How did the hole in the ground arise? I thought I had circumvented it by making the "hole in the ground" tiles now equivalent to lair tiles.

Thanks for playing, glad you enjoyed it. Feel free to send me any other questions/suggestions.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
ad79 wrote:
Writeup here.

Great question. I would say that tile distance is based on movement required, so if they are connected through a hole in the ground and the total movement is less than 2 they would trigger the bonus movement. How did the hole in the ground arise? I thought I had circumvented it by making the "hole in the ground" tiles now equivalent to lair tiles.

Thanks for playing, glad you enjoyed it. Feel free to send me any other questions/suggestions.

Cheers!

It arose, by me not reading that sentence.shake My bad. In my case it made sure there were always a legal placement.

I tried The Scent of Prey scenario from Furor Sanguinis just now. Fun to play, but saw no events for the demon. No doubles rolled. Won it by brute force and 8+10 die attacks against the demon over two turns. The 4 trogs that entered the Pentacle room missed even when Frantic on that last turn.

The only thing I miss is a simple flowchart to make it even faster to play.

And there should be a way to get a Tough troglodyte to the board. They are simply awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:

The only thing I miss is a simple flowchart to make it even faster to play.

And there should be a way to get a Tough troglodyte to the board. They are simply awesome.

Once this variant has been tested a bit more, I am going to make a flowchart that resembles the Demon's Board of Destiny for ease of use.

Will think about the Tough Troglodyte!

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rev,

Gave this a shot this weekend, played the first two scenarios a couple times each to give it a whirl. I like it! It's easy to internalize and get the rhythm of, which I appreciate in a solo AI. It did seem like the humans had a pretty easy go of it each time; by the end I was starting the Demon die off at 4 just to give them a fighting chance, as I never lost a human warrior and only a couple times even had more than one take a couple lines of damage.

I'd be thrilled to find a way to incorporate the Board of Destiny abilities into the game, as really that's where the Demon player's advantages lie. I wonder if perhaps a failed Demon die roll automatically triggers a randomly selected ability? Hmmm....

In any event - great stuff, and the important thing is I got to play Claustrophobia! Thanks a bunch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:
Hey Rev,

Gave this a shot this weekend, played the first two scenarios a couple times each to give it a whirl. I like it! It's easy to internalize and get the rhythm of, which I appreciate in a solo AI. It did seem like the humans had a pretty easy go of it each time; by the end I was starting the Demon die off at 4 just to give them a fighting chance, as I never lost a human warrior and only a couple times even had more than one take a couple lines of damage.

I'd be thrilled to find a way to incorporate the Board of Destiny abilities into the game, as really that's where the Demon player's advantages lie. I wonder if perhaps a failed Demon die roll automatically triggers a randomly selected ability? Hmmm....

In any event - great stuff, and the important thing is I got to play Claustrophobia! Thanks a bunch!

Thanks for giving it a try! Just to make sure you are playing correctly, the trogs should have the Frantic ability most turns which makes a big difference to the difficulty. If the ability trigger in step c reduces the threat dice to less than 1, the current ability is triggered (i.e. frantic) before the threat phase is ended.

Glad you enjoyed it. I tried to incorporate some of the board of destiny stuff. For example the +1 move and frantic are triggered by the threat dice, and the demon AI can, under the right conditions, place trogs/demons on tiles containing human characters. I tried out several basic ideas for the AI and was most satisfied with the simplicity of this one. Will definitely consider adding more in eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they were indeed Frantic most of the time, and looking back on it I think a lot of the relative ease I saw probably also can be attributed to getting lucky with the tile draws in the scenarios as well (easier when there's no Demon player rotating them to be useless ).

(Also, there was one game where I simply could not roll higher than the Demon die. Ever. By the time the Combat Demon showed up for the first time we were already planting the charges.)

Gonna try and find time to throw down the next couple of scenarios this weekend, thanks again for this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:
Yeah, they were indeed Frantic most of the time, and looking back on it I think a lot of the relative ease I saw probably also can be attributed to getting lucky with the tile draws in the scenarios as well (easier when there's no Demon player rotating them to be useless ).

(Also, there was one game where I simply could not roll higher than the Demon die. Ever. By the time the Combat Demon showed up for the first time we were already planting the charges.)

Gonna try and find time to throw down the next couple of scenarios this weekend, thanks again for this!

I considered adding a variant that placed the tiles with a random rotation based on a die roll but it felt a little too much management for the AI, feel free to add it though!

You are welcome for the variant! I love this game and in spite of having a weekly gaming partner I don't get it to the table often enough. It was just crying out for a solo variant. Now I get to play it whenever I feel like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baredas wrote:
Nice work. Is there a Pdf of this somewhere?

Thanks!

Now that I have playtested this a bunch, and have a lot of feedback, I am going to make an AI "board", kind of like the demon board, with a flowchart for ease of use. Should be up in a week or so. For now it is just available in the original post above.

If you give it a go, feel free to send me any feedback, here or GM!

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the effort with this. I've hardly played my copy due to lack of an opponent but will give your version a run through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:
Thanks for all the effort with this. I've hardly played my copy due to lack of an opponent but will give your version a run through.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I bought my copy hoping to play with my regular gaming partner, but it doesn't hit the table very often. When he and I get together we are addicted to Battlelore 2nd edition, which is a blast. I put together the solo rules so I could play Claustrophobia more often as it is a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, played the Survivors scenario with the variant and got walloped. Excellent. I thought the variant played very well. A couple of suggestions that could be clarified for the pdf. The first relates to placement. it would help to clarify which option 3 or 4 should be used if there are trogs both 2 away and closer. Suggestion in bold.

2 - If there are trogs that are two or more spaces away from humans, all trogs are +1 move for this turn, reduce Threat Dice value by 2.

3 - If there are trogs that are exactly one tile away from, or on the same tile as, humans, all trogs are frantic for this turn, reduce Threat Dice by 3.

4. - If there are trogs meeting both the above criteria all trogs are frantic for this turn, reduce Threat Dice by 3.

The Demon action phase is nice and simple I like it. Maybe the demon needs to be given a little more intelligence so that it moves and attacks in a manner which hinders attainment of the human victory conditions the most. A tricky one to build in and maybe they should be scenario specific. eg in the Survivors scenario if following the demon action phase flow chart, a Demon can move and attack to prevent any human warrior about to reach the exit that should be a priority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:
The first relates to placement. it would help to clarify which option 3 or 4 should be used if there are trogs both 2 away and closer. Suggestion in bold.

4. - If there are trogs meeting both the above criteria all trogs are frantic for this turn, reduce Threat Dice by 3.

Actually, you trigger both 2 and 3 in sequence, unless the threat dice drops to zero or below during option 2. You need to follow all the steps in order, checking at the end of each step to see if the threat die has been reduced below 1.

Example 1:

Threat die has 4 points on it and there are trogs both 2+ spaces away and 1 or less spaces away from humans. You would first activate option 2 and all trogs would be +1 move and the threat die would be reduce by 2 (to 2). Then you would check the conditions for step 3. Since there are also trogs one tile away or on the same tile as humans, all trogs would be frantic (and they would still have the +1 move from step 2) and the threat die would be reduced by 3 (to -1 so the demon phase would end and the threat die would be rerolled).

Example 2:

Threat die has 2 points on it and there are trogs both 2+ spaces away and 1 or less spaces away from humans. You would first activate option 2 and all trogs would be +1 move and the threat die would be reduce by 2 (to 0). Since the threat die is now less than 1, you would skip step 3, the demon phase would end and the threat die would be rerolled.

Hope that helps, let me know if that doesn't make it clear.

As for scenario specific demon movement, I felt like it would complicate the AI too much. As it is, the trogs are deadly in this variant. As noted above they can often spend several turns a game with +1 movement and Frantic!

Thanks for trying it out. Let me know if you have any other questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished playing "Holding back the Invasion" scenario using the solo variant here. The variant is holding up very well and made for a tense balanced game. In the photo below you can see the demon has just assassinated The Redeemer and has managed to get itself between the last two humans, the brute and blade. The blade is exhausted and uses his weapon on himself rather than die at the claws of the infernal demon of Combat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:
Just finished playing "Holding back the Invasion" scenario using the solo variant here. The variant is holding up very well and made for a tense balanced game. In the photo below you can see the demon has just assassinated The Redeemer and has managed to get itself between the last two humans, the brute and blade. The blade is exhausted and uses his weapon on himself rather than die at the claws of the infernal demon of Combat!

I am so glad you are enjoying variant. I will hopefully have a pdf with art posted soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought the Game, Any news on the pdf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:
Just bought the Game, Any news on the pdf?

Working on it. I need to do some polishing, then I have a couple of volunteers to proofread it before I upload it. Should be in the next week (or so).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thats great! thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saturn
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news ?

Still looking forward on it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.