Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Mission: Red Planet» Forums » Rules

Subject: Final Scoring Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike grim
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Ok, bear with me on this. Lets use a specific area of the map.

Its the tenth round and we are dividing up tokens and scoring the areas.
In this game Hellas has on it a ICE resource. Placed on this for the tenth round are 3 ice tokens. On hellas there is one blue astronaught.

Since this is the last round and there is only one astronaught would the score for hellas be?

(ICE(1point) X 3 tokens) + (1 ICE resource square (3 points)) = 6

Now lets say instead of ice its mineral number 2 Sylvanite

Would this be true...

(Sylvanite (2 point) X 3 Tokens = 6) + (1 Sylvanite square(6 points)) = 12


If not what did I get wrong? Didn't really see any scoring examples in the instructions...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I'm not sure why you are scoring the resource square as a triple (unless I really mucked up the rules).

If it were ICE, I would count it as:
(ICE(1 point) X 3 tokens) + (1 ICE resource square (1 point)) = 4

Or Sylvanite:
(Sylvanite(2 points) X 3 tokens = 6) + (1 Sylvanite square(2 points)) = 8
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike grim
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Well this is why I asked the question. The instructions direct you to use the spare/unused resource squares as a stand ins for resource tokens (if you run out). 1 square resource tile = three circular resource tokens.....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mgrim@comcast.net wrote:
Ok, bear with me on this. Lets use a specific area of the map.

Its the tenth round and we are dividing up tokens and scoring the areas.
In this game Hellas has on it a ICE resource. Placed on this for the tenth round are 3 ice tokens. On hellas there is one blue astronaught.

Since this is the last round and there is only one astronaught would the score for hellas be?

(ICE(1point) X 3 tokens) + (1 ICE resource square (3 points)) = 6

Now lets say instead of ice its mineral number 2 Sylvanite

Would this be true...

(Sylvanite (2 point) X 3 Tokens = 6) + (1 Sylvanite square(6 points)) = 12


If not what did I get wrong? Didn't really see any scoring examples in the instructions...


The scoring for Hellas would simply be that theplayer with the blue astronaut takes the the three ice tokens (first case) or the three sylvanite (second case).

As for the resource tiles, it's only that they can be used to replace the three last turn tokens if there's a shortage of them, which is quite usual. I usually don't place tokens on the last turn and simply gives the square resource tile to the player with the majority - unless there's a tie, in which case the use of tokens is necessary.
8 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike grim
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Bruno, thanks for taking the time to straighten me out. Now that I understand I like your way of giving reasource tokens in round 10 better. We are big citadels fans and this looks like another winner , congratulations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brass Jester
United Kingdom
Halesowen
Black Country
flag msg tools
badge
I smile as the puppets dance in the court of the Crimson King
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! Thanks Bruno. I think the rules are badly worded in the English version, because on Page 6 LH column it says "when a single player has the most astronauts on a zone, he/she receives the Resource token that was placed..." I too read this that they got this IN ADDITION to the share of the three that would hev been placed.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it easiest to use the resource tiles initially as a random draw to determine the resource type and then immediately place the number of scoring tokens (not the tile itself) that'll be available come next scoring round. Likewise I place new scoring tokens out at the end a scoring round. For example, at the end of round five I'll place two scoring tokens in each territory. This way they're already out there and it helps people remember how many tokens they'll be scoring. Then the resource tiles are just used as change; they never sit on the board unless they actually represent points that can be scored.

Then there are no shortages and no confusion on what the tiles represent!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brooks
Scotland
Stirling
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass Jester wrote:
Aha! Thanks Bruno. I think the rules are badly worded in the English version, because on Page 6 LH column it says "when a single player has the most astronauts on a zone, he/she receives the Resource token that was placed..." I too read this that they got this IN ADDITION to the share of the three that would hev been placed.

We had this confusion last night too. The wording is quite clear in that it does say that the resource token is given to the player with the majority in that region. So, we played it wrongly and gave additional points to each player that had the majority in a region. IIRC the wording throughout the rules differentiates between the resource tokens and scoring tokens so that part of the rules does seem to set the players scoring incorrectly.

Thank you for clearing that up Bruno.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Jones
Netherlands
Utrecht
Nederland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Deliverator wrote:
...the resource tiles are just used as change; they never sit on the board unless they actually represent points that can be scored


ok, so 5 years late, but... you can't do this as the resource type doesn't change between scoring rounds - you need to place a resource token in each zone so you know what resource it will produce.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.