Jon Gill
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb

BGG entry: Skulldug!

Skulldug! is a beer-and-pretzels exploration game where 2-5 players race to collect 3 treasures and escape from an ancient and treacherous cave system.

You build out a new map every time you play, discovering new passages, equipment, and monsters. Passages are generated on the fly from three decks of cards, so you never know what might be around the next corner. It will take all of your wits to escape past your opponents’ traps once you’re laden with cursed treasures, but make it out alive and all the glory will be yours.

Features

• Discover a new cave with each playthrough — no two games are ever the same
• Alter the passages on the board to trap and confound your foes
• Collect powerful equipment and cursed treasures that change your explorer’s abilities
• Encounter deadly traps and hungry monsters, then unleash them on your opponents
• No player elimination means everyone is always in the running
• Gorgeous pulp cartoon art from Ghia Mercado and Alix Branwyn

Components

• 83 Fortune and Hazard mini cards
• 55 square passage cards
• 25 acrylic health gems
• 5 character standees
• 1 six-sided die

Skulldug! will launch on Kickstarter in April 2015. We're feature complete on the main design, so the current work is based around getting the final art together and playtesting a couple of variant game modes (a 1v1 mode and a team-based version that would take the maximum player count up to 6).

The last iteration of the manual is online here for anyone interested. It's all prototype art, and the text needs a bit of an update, but it should get the broad strokes across!

You can also check out our burgeoning dev blog at the Ruddy Games website.

Here's a final shot of our prototype in action:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed, looks fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gill
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Alas, the pixel art is only on the prototype, and will be replaced by Ghia's lovely cartoon art on the final game. Your subscription is greatly appreciated, however!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gill
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
We just got a bunch of decor elements for the passage cards, so I spent the week laying them out in unique configurations for each card!

Here's one of my favorites:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gill
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
It's been a busy week of preparing for sending out review copies. I'm knee-deep in revising our rulebook at the moment, which I'll be sure to post when it's ready for some feedback!

In the meantime, here's a peak at the art for each of our playable teams:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gill
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hey all! We've just sent off for our preview copies, one of which I'll be bringing with my to GDC next month for playtesting, so we should have lots of photos to share soon!

Until then, it would be awesome if people could offer some feedback on our rulebook! It's still rough (you'll notice the lack of any back cover and some diagrams are definitely placeholder), but all the informational content is there. If you have time, give it a read and let us know if you have any lingering questions or comprehension problems!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw8ZQ68O6qJWTnluVEIzaG9QVG8...

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gill
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Glad you like it! We're using a slightly skewed version of Avengeance Mightiest Avenger. (http://www.dafont.com/avengeance-mightiest-avenger.font) It doesn't have a full set of punctuation, but it's cheap for commercial use and pretty slick looking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gill
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
One more bump for my own thread:

While we're not launching on Kickstarter until April, we have just launched our Thunderclap campaign to get the word out about the Kickstarter! If you're feeling especially excited and / or charitable, consider supporting our Thunderclap? It costs you nothing, and will be a huge help in getting eyeballs on Skulldug during the vital first few days of the campaign.

http://thndr.it/1vjLiqc

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gill
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb

Whew! Sorry for going dark for a month — we've been hard at work on our Kickstarter page, which is finally nearly complete. I'll be sure to post it here when it's ready for feedback!

In the meantime, if you live in the Seattle area, be sure to come by Mox Boarding this Saturday. I'll be there to answer questions and run demos all day!

Here's a Facebook event with a bit more information:

https://www.facebook.com/events/430848383749993/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gill
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb

We've been hard at work demoing Skulldug! around Seattle and the Bay Area for the last couple weeks. Reception has been really strong, which is exciting considering that we launch on Kickstarter on Tuesday.

If you'd like to get in on the action yourself, we've also prepared a free print-and-play copy for distributing online! The PnP only supports 2 players (the full game can handle 2-5) and contains a slimmed-down selection of cards. It should give you a good sense for Skulldug!'s rules and play, though!

Here's the letter-sized print and play download.

And here's the A4-sized download!

These files are awaiting moderation, but they should be available on the Skulldug! BGG entry soon.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Baker
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I saw this at GDC, and based on the quality of the box, art, components, and rulebook, I simply assumed that you had already been published. I'm impressed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gill
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hey all! A quick update on the state of all things Skulldug!

The Kickstarter launched on time, and we've had a strong first week and a half! We were surprised at how many people have requested a solo rules variant, so I'm hard at work on that now. It turns out that it's kind of hard to write a cardboard AI for a game based around maze navigation and exploiting ability combinations. Still, we've got some good ideas for how to abstract a lot of that away while maintaining the core feeling of the gameplay, so I'm pretty hopeful we'll end up with something worth shipping.

If you're interested, we've started highlighting a new element of the game in each update. First we dove deep into the passage cards that form the cave and the ways in which you can interact with them, and we just posted a rundown of the cursed treasures that you will have to collect in order to win the game.

I won't link to the updates directly as I don't want to run afoul of the forum rules, but definitely check them out if you're interested!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
A solo variant, now that is excellent news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.