Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: [Humor] Magnetic Ribbon Complacency... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmsOIjzQ1V8&eurl=

Regardless of your view on the war, I think most of us can agree those damn magnetic ribbons are annoying.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Whenever I see a magnetic ribbon on a car I always want to ask the driver -- "why not a permanent sticker? Do you forsee a time that you won't support the troops anymore and need something easy to remove?"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
edosan wrote:
Do you forsee a time that you won't support the troops anymore and need something easy to remove?"


Yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I understand correct: there are yellow ribbons to 'show support to the army'?

That's just silly.

Reminds me of all the colored wristbands that came out after LiveStrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BaSL wrote:
So if I understand correct: there are yellow ribbons to 'show support to the army'?


Yep. I believe that the yellow ribbon got popular as a symbol of support for the troops during the first Gulf War, my brother was in that one. I used to wear a yellow ribbon pinned to my shirt with a peace symbol which really annoyed a lot of people.

Anyway, it comes from the Tony Orlando and Dawn song "Tie a Yellow Ribbon". The song is about a convict being released from prison and he sends a letter to his former girlfriend wondering if she still loves him after his prison stay. So, he's taking a bus home and he asks her to tie a yellow ribbon on an old oak tree if she still wants him, then he'll know if he should get off the bus or not.

Isn't culture interesting?

Here's a picture of what nearly every vehicle in my town looks like:
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been annoyed by the un-subtle grammar of the message. It doesn't say "I support the troops", which would make sense. It says "Support the troops", as if the car owner is giving me a direct order that I need to obey.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.zazzle.com/Legomancer/product/235544175513019819

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great video.

Reminds me of this:

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
What, no flamewar? All I see is civil chit chat here...

I'm beginning to lose faith in the BGG community!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.pixel-maritan.net/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Avatar
Jatoha wrote:
BaSL wrote:
So if I understand correct: there are yellow ribbons to 'show support to the army'?


Yep. I believe that the yellow ribbon got popular as a symbol of support for the troops during the first Gulf War, my brother was in that one. I used to wear a yellow ribbon pinned to my shirt with a peace symbol which really annoyed a lot of people.

Anyway, it comes from the Tony Orlando and Dawn song "Tie a Yellow Ribbon". The song is about a convict being released from prison and he sends a letter to his former girlfriend wondering if she still loves him after his prison stay. So, he's taking a bus home and he asks her to tie a yellow ribbon on an old oak tree if she still wants him, then he'll know if he should get off the bus or not.

Isn't culture interesting?
[/q]

There's also a John Wayne movie "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" that predates the song by a few decades. I don't know if the movie inspired the song or the movie directly inspired the Gulf War I ribbon tieing, or if it's just a coincidence, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041866/

Although it isn't my style, I don't hold the ribbon magnets against anyone. It's very frustrating for me, at least, to know those soldiers are out there without me being able to do much about it or to show them how I feel about their service in a meaningful way. If other people can allay their frustration with the ribbon thing, so be it.

It's the "Power of Pride" and "God Bless America" stickers that get my goat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, from what I remember, the yellow ribbon bit began with the Iranian hostages in the 70s. I don't know exactly how it started then, but I do know that when the hostages were released every radio station played the Tony Orlando song.

Wikipedia has this to say about ribbons:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_ribbon

I once saw a car with six yellow ribbon magnets on it, and all I can think was, "What, our troops aren't worth a seventh one?"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Awhile back I used to work part time at a flag store in the mall as a 2nd job. Just about every sale of the yellow ribbon magnets went exactly like this:

Customer: Hey, you got those 'support our troops' stickers! Hey...they're magnets? Do you have any of the stickers?

Me: There are no stickers, all the ones you see on the cars are magnets.

Customer: Really?

Me: Yep.

C: Well, wouldn't people just steal them?

M: Not if everyone who doesn't already own one assumes they're stickers... Besides, now that you know, are you going to steal one?

C: I'll buy three!

So remember, if you see a clean spot on a car where a magnetic ribbon obviously use to reside, don't assume they don't support our troops any more. It might've been stolen!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Avatar
Legomancer wrote:
Actually, from what I remember, the yellow ribbon bit began with the Iranian hostages in the 70s. I don't know exactly how it started then, but I do know that when the hostages were released every radio station played the Tony Orlando song.


Oh yeah, I forgot about those ribbons! What color ribbon do you wear in remembrance of forgotten ribbons?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
shumyum wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about those ribbons! What color ribbon do you wear in remembrance of forgotten ribbons?


Clear?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.