Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will McKinnon
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was actually only the 2nd game of RA any of us had ever played. The night before was the "lets figure this game out" night and we played while referring back to the rules for all our newbie questions. That game was a four player game. My wife, me, and our two sons 8 and 6. Well technically my 4 year old daughter also played by drawing tiles for our "team". My 8 year old won that one, but my wife and I basically threw the game to make it more fun for them. Kids love it when they can beat dad.

So tonight was all business we were all familiar with the game. Which is actually quite simple as far as mechanics go so even though the box lists the beginning age as 12, our younger sons get it. Our 8 year old opted to play with the neighbors so we were down to 3. My 6 year old enjoys board games and it pretty bright. He understands the options he has on his turn and gets the gist of the scoring. But he doesn't really get the strategy... at least that's what we thought. The first few tiles out of the first round he was invoking RA. We tried to talk him out of it, telling him he should wait for more tiles to be played, but he insisted and since my wife and I were passing he bought up the tiles he wanted for cheap. After a couple of times we stopped trying to talk him out of it. In the mean time the RA track started filling up with consecutive RA tile draws and there was hardly anything in the auction track. A few more passes by my wife and I and the RA track was filled. I think the two of us won two auctions each while my son had burned through all of his suns. The second two rounds were basically more of the same but not so much in my sons favor as the RA track didn't fill up quite so quickly. In the end he finished with a 49, I had 46 and my wife didn't want us to count her score(um, less than 49). It was a fun game and there were smiles all around.

I still don't think my son really gets the strategy, but then I guess neither do I. It will probably be a few more plays before I see the patterns and strategies start to emerge. And then again, if they don't, I can always ask my son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.