Goblins vs Zombies» Forums » General

Subject: How well does this play solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I was just curious how well this game plays as a solo experience? Is it primarily multiplayer with some solo play options or is the solo play pretty robust? Is it worth it just for solo play?

Thanks and have a great day!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbr├ąten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play this game cooperatively with others it's kind of multiplayer solitaire, in that each player protects his/her own gate. Playing it solo feels much the same, really, just without the company.

(There are some interactive elements between players in multiplayer games, just to be clear. But it's not as much as other cooperative games.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried it solo and it plays great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Have a great day!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McPherson
Australia
Tuggeranong
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone confirm if all the rules are still the same for Solo play (as Co-op), except for the starting hand of 9 and drawing 2 Zombies each turn ?

I am finding it WAY too frustrating still being limited to having 3 Goblins in my Village, and only getting 1 card per turn with no flag bearers. I need the flag Bearer's to get more cards, but they can't do any killing. Arrgh soblue

How is everyone else finding the solo gameplay ? Any recommended tweaks ?

Edit: I will add that I was bringing back the Zombies with abilities, rather than as a Basic Zombie, when I had a Zombie call for Backup. So, that wouldn't have helped whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
emre turam
Turkey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I agree with you Stephen.

First of all, I want to thank to Jack Darwid for this well thought game. The idea is just wonderful as a whole and the quality of the cards, the design and the art is OK.

Now,
I recently bought the game and played it about 10 times. FOR THE SOLO GAME OF "LAST STAND", it does not matter how well you play or how smart you are. Actually nothing matters as it is impossible to play with these rules and the goblin powers. You spend 2 cards to play a slingshot. However, slingshot cannot kill any zombie other than basic zombies which dont show up unless there is a backup or sth else.

You cant hit invisible zombies and flying zombies with most of your cards and you just get 1 goblin card at the Sun phase if you dont have flag bearers.

For ex. you play bigthrower at any point of the game. You spent 6 cards for that and the 7th card is bigthrower. Assume you had those 7 cards while having an iceshot and a flagbearer in the game(Which is impossible to have 1 flag bearer in the game and holding against double zombies only with an iceshot and on the same time collecting 7 cards to spare =D Even then, if you have an invisible zombie and 1 pirate with 1 backup at your graveyard area, a gladiator zombie and a warlock at your trees area and no zombies in your village area. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO DO!!! And this just a regular, a basic situation. You could have a knight a thief, elf, zombie squad and a dwarf. THIS GAME IS NOT COMPATIBLE FOR SOLO. (I only played solo, thats why I dont comment about solo only)

Actually, I bended the rules for my last games to check the further compatibility of the game. First, I allowed for 3 more goblins to be played at the village gate. Then, I increased this number to 10 and I also increased my maximum hand size infinitely. EVEN THEN, it was useless toplay a slingshot, bigshot, iceshot, archer and other regular damagers. You still need the bomb, the rocket, the shaman and the ball and chain.

So, I conclude that, the goblins: Slinger, shield, shot idol, slingshot, rockthrower, bigshot, bigthrower DO NOT HAVE ANY USE IN NON OF THE GAME TYPES and the trap, iceshot, icethrower, archer, twin xbows and potapult have NO USE in the LAST STAND GAME.

To end, you have to fix the stats and features of both the zombies and the goblins to play a good game without getting angry.

I dont want to be rude or disrespectful to this well thought game and its brilliant designer. Really, thank you Jack, but the flow of the game has big, very big flaws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Some tips (I don't want to spoil everything here):
- each Goblins is different, some are versatile, but some are very useful againts any specific zombie. The key is to use your hand & Goblins the best way you can. Important: never attach with any of your Goblin since the field is always changing.
- Flagbearers are the key, one of the most important aspect in the game. Should you push to draw more, or to fill the slot with your attacker?

I understand the frustration and anger (sorry! ) if you play Mode B: LAST STAND to reach the CHAMPION rank, since it's the hardest challenge in the game.

I have just made an article discussing/covering/explaining all 5 Modes of Play, including a 'GvZ stages' for solo Player from the easiest to hardest. And last night I played the game 16 times straight (yes, really!) to give an overview about the difficulty level of Mode D: THE BOSS.

The article and the result of my 16 solo sessions can be read here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1455725
(and the fight againts the Boss on the expert mode, it's almost always a challenging task till the end. Many wins are made in the last turn )

Prepare the Goblins!! The zombies are coming!!!

JackD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hem. I'm at 4 losses in B-mode, with scores ranging from 2 to 7. I have to say - this game is really tough to play solo.
The link posted above by Jackpoint to modes of play that aren't solo compatible, except for the Tutorial (sorry - "Starter" ) and B-mode... and D-mode = Boss-mode.
I doubt D-mode is any easier than B-mode.

While I disagree with the tone used earlier in expressing frustration, I do share the same frustration with playing this game solo. I'm not sure how to make it easier without corrupting its balance. Any advice with that regard would be welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

As I explained in my article (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1455725/explanation-abo...): Mode B is the hardest challenge in the game. I should put it as Mode Z and not as Mode B, since after 'A' it's a 'B'...

After you can win Mode A (Training) a few times, continue to Mode D, use normal Boss. It's almost like Mode A but with an additional Boss at the end. The normal Boss is not that hard, you will face some challenge but you'll win soon.
Note that for each Boss you will need a different approach to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.