Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"When you go to bed at night and forget to shut down your computer, I think you ought to know what actually goes on. It's 11 PM and do you know where your icons are and what they are doing ?

Click on this site and you will see what happens when you leave the computer on during the night."

http://www.xs4all.nl/~jvdkuyp/flash/see.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
laugh "pretty 'sneaky', sis!" cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No icons will ever appear on any user interface I design, write or own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Drew1365 wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

JC's rockin' it old school! Viva DOS!

Unix actually, with a windowing environment I've been iteratively customising and tailoring to work exactly the way I want it to for the last 11 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

JC's rockin' it old school! Viva DOS!

Unix actually, with a windowing environment I've been iteratively customising and tailoring to work exactly the way I want it to for the last 11 years.

Would it be at all possible to see a screenshot of that? I'm just curious as to what it looks like. No big deal if you don't want to, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. You've piqued my curiousity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ben_ethus wrote:
Would it be at all possible to see a screenshot of that? I'm just curious as to what it looks like. No big deal if you don't want to, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. You've piqued my curiousity.

Sure. Sorry for the delay. I've been distracted. I'm afraid the below URLs will be munged by the 'geek software which incorrectly parses FTP URLs. You'll have to cut'n'paste or edit the URL after you get the 404 to replace "http://ftp//" with "ftp://".

ftp://ftp.kanga.nu/users/claw/screenshots/Desktop/JCL.Deskto...

Images with smaller numbers in that directory variously work back through time. For instance

shows where I was mid last year. Back in 1999:

etc.

The basic criteria for my windowing configuration are:

-- Modal interfaces are evil.

-- No icons will ever appear on any system I run.

-- Nothing ever gets dragged, nothing ever gets dropped.

-- There will be no system controls which are bound to or only
accessible via particular locations on the screen.

-- Key bindings/keyboard acceleration is your friend.

-- No Z-order limits on any controls or feature accessibility.

-- All controls must be accessible and controllable without
requiring prior access (such as by changing z-order or moving a
window out of the way (BAD!)), or to any other particular window
or X or WM widget or device.

A great many things are bound to key combinations; my hands rarely leave the keyboard. For instance the various function keys with Shift-, Control-, Alt- their various combinations etc control window size, placement, maximisation in various directions or bring up various common utilities etc. eg Alf-F10 will maximise a window vertically (or revert to prior size) without changing width, Ctrl-F10 will similarly maximise horizontally without changing height (or revert) etc. Similarly Ctrl- and many of the keys on the numeric pad control my MP3 player. With various letters they start or move focus to various applications or utilities, bring up the different root menus, move to focus to different virtual desktops, etc etc etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would ask "vi or emacs," but I'm afraid of the answer.

(Yes, I see vim is one of your selected packages, and you don't strike me as the kind of person whose box has a text editor he's not going to use, but frankly I would be surprised if your answer wasn't something like "I use my own text editor, which I wrote from scratch to support my 202-key keyboard and regular expression extensions. For example, backslash-unicode-00f7--which I have mapped to the alt-foo-llama key--matches posts by GROGnads.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
kuhrusty wrote:
I would ask "vi or emacs," but I'm afraid of the answer.

XEmacs of course! As part of my $HOME, I have my XEmacs RC under source control and have been iteratively developing it over the years. It currently runs just under 2MegB.

Usually none of my boxes do have vi installed, but it sometimes gets dragged in as an auto-dependency by the pakcaging system. Shrug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
ben_ethus wrote:

Sure. Sorry for the delay.

Very intriguing! Thanks for indulging me.

This just goes to show that every time I think that I know a good deal about computers, I'm shown that my skills really pale ridiculously compared to the vast majority of real computer folk out there.

Back when we were taught unix in college, I was fond of the speed with which you could accomplish things by merely using combinations of keyboard buttons, and it sounds like you can navigate your OS ridiculously quickly, which is very spiffy. Mice really do slow things down, albeit making things easier for non-cpu user type folk.

Anyhoo, thanks for sharing those screenshots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ben_ethus wrote:
Very intriguing! Thanks for indulging me.

Welcome.

Quote:
Back when we were taught unix in college, I was fond of the speed with which you could accomplish things by merely using combinations of keyboard buttons, and it sounds like you can navigate your OS ridiculously quickly, which is very spiffy. Mice really do slow things down, albeit making things easier for non-cpu user type folk.

Aye, there's an efficiency question there. Mice and other pointing devices (I prefer trackballs) aren't bad -- they are faster for many operations -- but they also aren't an automatic "better" and some of that choice is really a matter of personal preference, workstyle and physical habits.

I guess the biggest thing I've noticed recently for workhabits is that I almost never ever fullscreen any window. Maximise vertically, yes, hundreds of times a day. Maximise horizontally, also yes, though less often (mostly when reading log files). Full screen? Maybe a handful of times a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.