Popular Tags: [View All]
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is it just me or does coffe seem like a bad deal. you get 3 cards from it only once every 5 trades, other wise it's basically no better than tobacco and more expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobacco (or Silver) is a better choice in most cases, but you don't always have a choice! If you need a second resource and Coffee is what you've got, you'd better buy the Coffee rather than wait and hope for something better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:
you get 3 cards from it only once every 5 trades, other wise it's basically no better than tobacco

And it gets 2 cards once in every 5 trades, when tabacco only gets one.
The progression is that each 'better' good pays off 2 additional cards in 5 trades. Averages are 1.0, 1.4, 1.8, 2.2, 2.6 cards per trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An open-eyed man falling into the well
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:
is it just me or does coffe seem like a bad deal. you get 3 cards from it only once every 5 trades, other wise it's basically no better than tobacco and more expensive.

Coffee is significantly better in the long run than Tobacco. Meaning early in the game you will see enough trades with it that it is worth it (in my experience) to build Coffee rather than Tobacco.

And while on average there isn't much difference, it makes a huge difference if you need 2 cards for a Tobacco and only get 1. (Happens to me all the time. shake ) Whereas with coffee you always get 2 with an occasional bonus.

After the first few trades, especially after you know where the 1 Tobacco trade stick is, then you are correct that the difference is minimal and it probably is no longer worth it to build Coffee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:

Build it if you take builder and it's in your starting hand among other crappy cards you don't need at the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Right. If I'm first I'm happier to see Coffee in my initial hand than Silver, because Coffee can be built right away with Builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.