Popular Tags: [View All]
Javier Dropez
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
I would rather be here
badge
Auda will come to Aqaba because it is his pleasure...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have just arrived to the Cry Havoc game system and I’m trying to design a new combat result table. Here is my first try at it. Any commentaries/criticisms are welcomed, so we could arrive to a completely satisfactory CRT. I have taken a look at the different CRT's (Magna Carta, Dark Blades, Guiscard, Diex Aie, etc) but I'm not totally satisfied with them.

My first redesign was this table. I wanted to give equal possibilities to attacker and defender given the same combat values, so it lefts out the stun result, that in the original game tables can be applied only to the defender for obvious reasons (given the game turn sequence, in a one vs one combat situation if the attacker could get an “attacker stunned” result, then the attacker would be slain by the defender in the next player’s turn).

Die Roll Result
1 F
2 E
3 C
4 C
5 No Effect
6 No Effect
7 B
8 B
9 A
10 X

F: one defender killed
E: one defender wounded
C: defenders retreat one hex
B: attackers retreat one hex
A: one attacker wounded
X: one attacker killed

Modifiers to the die roll:
2-1/1-2: -1/+1
3-1/1-3: -2/+2
4-1/1-4: -3/+3
And so on.

No armor modifiers apply, the armor modifiers apply only vs missile fire. The armor benefit is considered already included in the combat values as it is in the original Cry Havoc game (I still have doubts about this, though).

But then I thought that the STUN result is an inherent part of the game and so it had to be included someway into the combat results. So, I did this second CRT:

Die Roll Result
1 F
2 E
3 S
4 C
5 C
6 No Effect
7 No Effect
8 B
9 B
10 A

S: one defender stunned.

Modifiers to the die roll: same as above.

This new table, compared with the first one, slightly favors the attacker but maintains the original game stun result against the defender, the 10-sided die and the necessary “no effect” result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Dropez
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
I would rather be here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A third attempt for a new CRT could be this:
1 F
2 E
3 S
4 C
5 NE
6 NE
7 NE
8 B
9 A
10 X

It incorporates the new “Attacker killed” result and it has three “no effect”possible results. It still favors the attacker but less than the second one. Anyway, a slight attacker’s advantage is not necessarily a bad thing, it incentives the attack and it can reflect the initial “push” advantage and initiative of the attacker in a combat situation.
By the moment this is my preferred CRT. As soon as I playtest it enough I will post the results.

By the moment you can vote here

Poll
What new variant CRT do you prefer?
First one (equal possibilities for attacker/defender, no STUN result)
Second one (includes STUN result, favours attacker)
Third one (includes STUN result and "attacker killed" result)
      7 answers
Poll created by xavilongo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In man on man combat the one with a height advantage had an advantage. Also and attacker heading down hill had and advantage over a defender and an attacker going up hill was disadvantage against the defender. IMHO these need to be worked in somehow if not already present. My games are packed away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Dropez
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
I would rather be here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we could apply a +1/-1 in that case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.