Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The fifth session lasted three game turns, DEC 1 (1941) - JAN 1 (1942). Due to the weather the report will be somewhat shorter than usual.

Ever since the snow had started to fall in late November the frontline, running from Odessa to Kiev, north along the Dnepr with a (reduced) salient towards Moscow and up to the marshes south of Leningrad, had stabilized.

The Germans continued to strengthen their lines by building some more fortifications along the line, only occasionally engaging Siviet advance troops. The only part German of the German line that laid exposed to Soviet counterattacks was the bridgehead on the northern banks of the river Volga between Moscow and Leningrad. And there we (the Soviets) opted to strike.

Our newly arrived Siberian elite troops, accompanied by the Soviet Guard under the command of General Zhukov, utilized their superior winter training in two succesful attacks on the German mechanized corps defending the bridgehead. Instead of attacking all German defenders at once we manouvered our best troops to attack the Mechs while our standard infantry pinned down the German infantry corps. By the end of the year the Germans decided to withdraw from the bridgehead thus leaving the northern Volga sector in Soviet hands. Further
German advancemen in that area would have threatened to cut off Leningrad and Murmansk.

A similar operation took place just north of Kiev. The Germans were taken by surprise and we managed to eliminate yet another mechanized corps.

Even though we suffered a lot of casualities in these operations they were all 100% succesful, since manpower and equipment shortage is not an issue in the Red Army, whereas the Wehrmacht really takes a blow every time they lose armored or mechanized units.

In the middle of winter I decided to try something different. We launched a soviet raid against the Romanian port of Constanta, 180 miles east of Bucharest. The raid was succesful and we took the port. This will in no way seriously threaten the Romanian front, but it will force the Axis to send troops from the front to that area. Hopefully it will be worthwhile as the troops stationed there will no doubt starve to death when the weather clears and the Luftwaffe starts intercepting our naval supply rout.

The sever weather will last until late spring and by then we will have have an even better position to defend against the inevitable German onslaught of '42. But it will get ugly, no doubt. The Germans will recieve better panzer units and a large artillery corps that will be almost unstopable.

Next session is due in the middle of next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really enjoying your fascinating replay reports - keep it up , I await with eager interest the renewed German Summer offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bluekingzog wrote:
I am really enjoying your fascinating replay reports - keep it up , I await with eager interest the renewed German Summer offensive.

Thanks, Simon! I'll do my best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.