Matt Rider
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Attic Attack Issue

Afternoon BGGers... long time member, first time poster here.

I have two modes of boardgaming... once every 9 - 12 months for a weekend with my UK-wide gaming group (youngest 20 something, oldest 50 something... all with significant others!) and every couple of months or so on my own in my large and empty attic.

The dining table downstairs is too small (and round - how annoying!) and I never get to play for long enough to make it worth setting anything up anywhere in our living space anyway... in the attic I can leave Third Reich or Silent War set up for years if need be

However, my issue(s) is (are) this (these) - the attic has rough, uneven floorboards with cavernous cracks in between - counters get lost, paper boards get damaged, the board doesn't stay flat, it's painful lying on the floor etc etc

What I really want is some sort of large thick wooden board/tabletop preferably with some sort of matching glass top - in order to sandwich the gameboard in between... this I could also raise off the floor, saving my poor back!

However, everything has to make it into the attic through the standard (i.e tiny!) UK loft trapdoor... so no coffee table is going up that way!

So, after a bit of a ramble, what I am asking is: How would you solve these issues? And do you know somewhere I could get the needed materials relatively cheaply (cos lest face it - money saved is money spent on Battlelore!)

All advice gratefully received.

Thankyou!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the floor problem is readily solved by a drop sheet/tarp (cheap) or a rug/carpet. As for the table surface, it looks like you need to go modular. Personally, I would construct a simple table/bench support frame out of something. 2x4 material is cheap and easy to work with. Then you can attach pre cut sections of sheet stock that can fit through your attic opening. Do the same with sheets of plexiglass so you can have some protection for your map boards. If you go the DIY route and are not too concerned about finish, you should be able to get what you need quite inexpensively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rider
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it - thanks for this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Matt, when i read your post the first thing i thought of was the "expandible furniture" concept. Instead of buying 4 pieces of wood and hammering them together in your attic (thereby never being able to take it out of your attic when the need be), why not add hinges to the bottom squares of the wood you buy?? Like Ikea style - if you need a bigger playing surface, just unfold it! Granted, this may be more complex than simply hammering some pieces together, but it will be a space saver too when the large unfolded table is not in use. Just a thought! Actually, here's an even better idea - save yourself the trouble - speaking of Ikea (!!!) they have these small square side tables (not sure but i think they're about 18 inches square) - why not buy 4 of them and put 'em together. Then get a rug, put some cushions down, and game on?!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rider
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know those tables - I used to have my printer on one! LACK or sommat i think they are call... GREAT idea as they fit flush and are about £15 each aren't they?

Thanks for this!

Now - any ideas where I can get a piece of glass to fit the top of 4 (or 6) LACK tables?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.