Popular Tags: [View All]
David LeRay
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first few times my friends and I played Acquire, we did not grant any bonus stock for founding a hotel. This made it easier for other players to compete head-to-head for ownership and generally increased stock competition (easier to compete against +3 rather than +4). We switched over to the correct rules later, and it seemed much easier to keep control of whatever hotels were founded, which made the game seem a bit less aggressive.

I might prefer our accidental variant (no bonus whatsoever for founding a hotel). What does this break about the game, if anything? I think there is still a substantial incentive to found hotel chains with the first mover advantage, so I am not sure what the value of the +1 free stock incentive actually is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The bonus share has considerable inherent value beyond the competition in the stock market.

1. It has an immediate cash value, which may also increase.

2. It provides additional incentive to diversify one's holdings, and the board in general.

3. It gives additional options to a player who is strapped for cash but holds good tiles.

4. It adds strategic decisions to the game, especially in regard to holding shares from previous chains.

Someone else may think of even more reasons that the bonus share is a good thing.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the game would probably still work pretty well without the bonus shares. (I obviously haven't tried it, but I can't see why it would be a problem.) It might even be "better" in some ways---the luck of founding lots of chains can definitely be one of the biggest factors in giving player a lead.

Obviously, with a popular and classic and well-known game, there's an advantage to playing with the same rules as everyone else---you have more opponents, you can compare strategies, you can learn from other players. That's probably the biggest reason to have one set of rules rather than lots of different variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David LeRay
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points all. Thanks for the response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe hand out one random stock to each person at the start of the game (or maybe two if you're playing three player games), then forgo bonus stocks for founding a company. Then when you start a company, you'll likely pick the one you own a stock in to start, but you won't be screwed if you never get to found a company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.