Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
I woke up the other morning with several ship ideas in my head. I had gone to sleep thinking about one, and how to balance it, and apparently must have continued thinking about in my sleep. I jotted several ideas down, but have been thinking that maybe this would work better another way.

So the initial idea was to have a ship with a strong hull. To represent this it's ability card would have 4 cargo hold squares, and damage would be placed there before going to the ship. It's certainly not as good as Gaiden's Evasive Thrusters, but it also doesn't take any energy.

Sure it doesn't work like other ship abilities, I'm fine with that. Though I do wonder (maybe Cody will answer) why none of the ships have "passive" abilities? Energy Scoop and Nano-Regeneration are the closest thing, but they're still active abilities.

Then I thought maybe this idea didn't need to be a ship, but could become another category of ship modification. I don't want to expand it too far and break it, so I was thinking of just two types.

1) Hull: Adds 4 'cargo hold' to a ship, only for the purpose of taking damage. Any unblockable damage would bypass it.

2) Cargo: Adds 4 cargo hold spaces that can only hold cargo cubes. It cannot hold outfits or damage.

What do people think something like this should cost? Obviously more expensive since it doesn't take up hold space. Also should buying more than one of these be possible, possibly costing more for the second, or should there be tiered upgrades?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Minardi
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Something like this has been talked about. My first reaction is why make combat harder, it is hard enough?

How about a T3 ship with no power, but is a 5x4 rectangle of hold spaces? I could be hold the most cargo and engines, or the most weapons and shields. With money you could be the best of anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Orr
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a slightly different vein I was thinking about using some of the blank outfits as "alien technology", as follows.

1) Create a deck of 4-16 cards (1 for each outfit type OR 1 for each type/shape).
2) Shuffle and select 3 cards (face down, in a stack). This forms the alien artifact deck.
3) Add the "1", "2", "3" exploration tokens to the game.

If a one of the new exploration tokens is discovered, take the top, middle or bottom alien artifact card, and claim the associated outfit.

Possible outfits are pretty broad, but to stay within the scope of Xia, an Alien equivalent to the standard outfits (including size and related die) that can be used once per turn WITHOUT paying an energy cost., and can then be armed in the normal way.

Could be sold on planet for 1.5x (rounded up) the normal price, but remains on that planet to be purchased for 2x the normal price by another ship on the same planet. (Sell it if you want, but someone else might acquire it).

Discovering all three artifacts gets you 2 fame points (essentially a title "Alien Tomb Raider".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a decent idea, and one that I would love to discuss. It's simply completely off topic (it's not a slightly different vein). You should start a thread for that.

This topic is to discuss primarily the possibility of adding things to a ship that are not outfits, and do not take cargo hold space. Then a distance second to discuss a couple that I have made and haven't been able to playtest yet.

I'm sorry if this comes across as rude, that is not at all my intention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Orr
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right - posted in the wrong place. I shouldn't post after a really long day, almost comatose at the keyboard snore

Will re-post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.