Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it is clear from the rules that one cannot play 2 Flank Speed cards on the same fleet in the same turn, is it allowable to play 2 Direct Hit cards vs different damaged DN's/WS's in the same battle at the same time, i.e. if the opponent has 2 DN/WS in the battle and simultaneously assigns hits to 2 of them, can the player then play a Direct Hit against each of them thus destroying them both at once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. That would partly depend on how one interprets this rule:

"A player may never play two identical Action Cards for the same situation and/or on the same entity during one round. Example: A player cannot play two "Flank Speed" Action Cards on the same fleet in one round. The player may, however, play a “Flank Speed” on two different fleets in the same round." (p.23)

This says you can play Flank Speed on two different fleets in the "same round" - what it DOESN'T clarify is whether you could play Flank Speed on two different fleets during the same activation - can you use it to move two separate fleets into the same system? I don't have my Flank Speed card handy to see the wording, unfortunately.

The question is: what is considered the "same situation?" If by "same situation" it means "same action/combat phase", then the Flank Speed question above would be "no - only 1 fleet per activation". If it means "same entity doing the same thing", then it would be "yes, they are both moving independently".

The answer to the question you ask would be the same; if it means "same combat phase", then no, only one per phase. However, if not, then you could.

I lean more towards the "you can" sentiment; you are affecting different entities with the card, and while the situation is simultaneous, it could be considered to be two separate, identical situations - ie, two ships being damaged at the same time. IE - I would say yes, you can play two Direct Hits like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

"A player may never play two identical Action Cards for the same situation and/or on the same entity during one round. Example: A player cannot play two "Flank Speed" Action Cards on the same fleet in one round. The player may, however, play a “Flank Speed” on two different fleets in the same round." (p.23)

This says you can play Flank Speed on two different fleets in the "same round" - what it DOESN'T clarify is whether you could play Flank Speed on two different fleets during the same activation - can you use it to move two separate fleets into the same system? I don't have my Flank Speed card handy to see the wording, unfortunately.

Flank Speed allows ALL ships that are moving to the activated system to increase their speed by 1; hence, playing it twice in the 'same situation' would make many ships be allowed to move 4.

Quote:
The question is: what is considered the "same situation?" If by "same situation" it means "same action/combat phase", then the Flank Speed question above would be "no - only 1 fleet per activation". If it means "same entity doing the same thing", then it would be "yes, they are both moving independently".

The answer to the question you ask would be the same; if it means "same combat phase", then no, only one per phase. However, if not, then you could.

I lean more towards the "you can" sentiment; you are affecting different entities with the card, and while the situation is simultaneous, it could be considered to be two separate, identical situations - ie, two ships being damaged at the same time. IE - I would say yes, you can play two Direct Hits like that.

I think that you could as the cards are being played against 'different entities'; technically, it is not allowing you to simply put 2 hits on the same entity (which would make no sense anyway, given the game mechanisms).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree (I think) with the above posts. Different "entity" in this case would be different Dreadnaughts. You could play 4 or 5 or 10 of the Direct Hit! cards in the same battle if the other player had 4 or 5 or 10 Dreadnaughts in the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
ermd wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Flank Speed allows ALL ships that are moving to the activated system to increase their speed by 1; hence, playing it twice in the 'same situation' would make many ships be allowed to move 4.

Thanks I couldn't remember exactly how the card read.

Quote:

I think that you could as the cards are being played against 'different entities'; technically, it is not allowing you to simply put 2 hits on the same entity (which would make no sense anyway, given the game mechanisms).[/q][/q]
Well, note that the rules say "and/or" regarding situation vs entities. Using the "or", one could argue that "it's the same situation, so you can't do it". I hate and/or's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.