Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice article at The Reserve Pool showing us all 4 of the super rare cards for this set:

http://www.thereservepool.com/2015/01/ygo-super-rares.html

I have to agree with the author that Slifer is a fantastic card, and I really like the look of Obelisk the Tormentor as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, I want that Slifer. I don't even know how great its ability really is, I just love the look of the die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotora wrote:
Damn, I want that Slifer. I don't even know how great its ability really is, I just love the look of the die.

Sidekicks tend to be a thorn in the side of teams that are trying to get their big guys through for damage. Slifer's ability to knock them out when summoned is nice, but the ongoing ability (requiring 3 energy to summon sidekicks) is brutal, and awesome, and brutally awesome.

If you mix IPs and run a Yu-Gi-Oh team against a Marvel team, this is a Gobby killer.

http://dicemastersdb.com/catalog/marvel/avengers-vs-x-men/gr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
lwdgames wrote:
If you mix IPs and run a Yu-Gi-Oh team against a Marvel team, this is a Gobby killer.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that - 5 cost counters in AvX weren't enough to stop Gobby. Even with Professor X's global in play, being able to purchase an 8 cost - and then get around to another turn or two when you can actually field it - will be way too slow to be effective.

That said, its global is hilarious with Professor X. Being able to deal 2 damage for 3 energy to your opponent is pretty efficient, even if they can do the same back to you. I'm a fan of this global, specific as it is.

Overall, 3 of the 4 super rares are good - nothing impressive though. Yes, their stats are sweet - and definitely make those costs justifiable (compared to the Phoenix Force cards from the AvX OP). But they just seem like glorified Hulk - Green Goliaths to me. Obelisk will eventually win you the game if your opponent doesn't have a clear answer. Slifer KOs every sidekick and allows you to hit your opponent if you have some bolts available immediately, potentially leaving your opponent to scramble. I think Ra got the short end of the stick here. Marvel Girl - Telekinetic has this ability and I haven't seen her used much. Sure, Ra can repeat it with every attack, which over time will give some extended value, but that still seems like it will take longer than you have time, especially with the tempo loss of purchasing something that costs 8.

Thousand Dragon seems really solid. Whether or not you use the Fusion ability (which seems very worthwhile and can set you up for a huge power turn), his stats are great for such a cheap fielding cost and that ability can be devastating. I'm a fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Fusion could be ridiculous, depending on how cheap the material monsters are. Two fielded characters to prep to buy 6+ costed die that also goes to prep? Seems good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
8tlas wrote:
Fusion could be ridiculous, depending on how cheap the material monsters are. Two fielded characters to prep to buy 6+ costed die that also goes to prep? Seems good.

The two fusion monsters in the set are Baby Dragon and Time Wizard - the same two cards depicted in the anime series to summon Thousand Dragon. The cost options are:
Baby Dragon - 3 Bolt, 4 Bolt (2 versions)
Time Wizard - 4 Mask (2 versions), 5 Mask

There's a full list in the files section of this board that has all of their card text, but I think their effects are just fine considering the powerful ability you can do. Thousand Dragon also has a Max Die limit of 1 on all of his cards, so you can only make it happen once, which also seems fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Winters
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also noticed that the max number of dice for each of these super rares is one die. I wonder if that's something they have tweaked for this game with the different cards, considering that they have these serial numbers on the cards and dice as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
MirrorsNight wrote:
I also noticed that the max number of dice for each of these super rares is one die. I wonder if that's something they have tweaked for this game with the different cards, considering that they have these serial numbers on the cards and dice as well.

Possibly, but the three Egyptian God cards are very powerful and iconic from the anime series - they could very much be attempting to give these cards the same feel. Also, having multiples of any of them might have been too powerful (even if their purchase costs are insane), so it could be a balancing factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.