Subject: Official Variant 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Variant 1: It is forbidden to draw two cards on your turn. One, at least, of your two actions must be playing or exchanging a card. In the next print run, this will be the official rule.

Source: http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=mesjeux&id=326&fich...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted all the official variants so that people can discuss them separately. The above variant is, I think, a definite improvement to the printed rules. Under the existing rules, it seems that the optimal strategy will mostly be to draw 2 cards each turn, in which case all players might as well put all their cards straight into their hand. See discussion on that here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/130614
To prevent this, the above rule change makes a lot of sense, i.e., players are limited to drawing one card per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do wonder, however, if this variant has the disadvantage of decreasing your hand size when you use your actions to play two cards. If you are drawing a card and playing a card each turn, your hand size will stay the same. But if you play two cards in one turn, your hand size is reduced by two! I realize that your hand size will increase if you use a turn to draw a card and trade one with the Exchange, but as a rule you'll try to avoid trading with the Exchange, in preference to playing a card. So if you play two cards in a turn, eventually your hand size will become very small, and this limits the choice of cards you can play. That can be quite limiting, and I can't see that I'd want to play two cards in a row if it means my hand size would basically go from 6 to 4 for the rest of the game, since it would give me less choice of what cards to play. Wouldn't the net result of this variant be to discourage playing two-card combos, and instead encourage players to draw and play each turn? That would be a pity.

If that's the case (and I could be wrong!), I wonder if the second variant is better than this one, i.e. impose a hand limit the same as your starting hand plus two. Then at least if people have played two-card combos, they can take the next turn to draw two to get their hand back to size. With a limit of drawing one per turn, it seems difficult to overcome the disadvantage of a smaller hand that will be inevitable if you play two cards in a row as one turn.

I haven't played either of these first two variants, so I submit the above for comment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not tried this variant, although I probably will for my next game. Shrinking hand size may seem like a concern, but don't forget that your opponents will be sending cards back to your hand soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.