Hide
16 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gaining Clicks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Givens
msg tools
What happens if you gain clicks during the other player's turn? Are they lost, saved until your next turn, something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How can you do so?

AFAIK all cards that give you clicks ask you to spend one (and then gain 2). This is intentional so that you cannot use it in your opponent's turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hedberg
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I looks like the answer is "this can never, ever happen."

All effects that grant clicks either specify that it happens on your turn, or require you to spend a click to gain clicks (and can thus only give clicks on another player's turn if you already have clicks on another player's turn) or are an event and operation. There appear to be no effects that allow you to play an event or operation except Accelerated Diagnostics, which is itself an operation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Givens
msg tools
This is what happens when you misremember the text on Autoscripter haha. I have a feeling it will happen sooner or later though, whether intentionally or not, as card wording isn't exactly always Netrunners strong suit.

Thinking about it though, it seems like it wouldn't matter if you gained clicks on the other players turn, as the rules say you can only spend clicks on your turn. So I believe you would gain the click on the corps turn, and at the start of your turn you'd gain 4 clicks, and the action phase would end whenever you ran out of clicks as it does now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caribou
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Director Haas?
You have 1 additional [click] to spend each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheCaribou wrote:
How about Director Haas?

Well, when the Corp gets a way to spend clicks during the Runner's turn I guess that'll be relevant. As things stand, the only thing a Corp can do with clicks is use Actions, and you can't use an Action outside of your own turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some paid abilities cost clicks, though. If I'm not mistaken, Melange Mining Corp lets you spend 3 clicks get 7 credits. So if you manage to get 3 somehow, it seems to me that we already have at least one card that would let you spend them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
Some paid abilities cost clicks, though. If I'm not mistaken, Melange Mining Corp lets you spend 3 clicks get 7 credits. So if you manage to get 3 somehow, it seems to me that we already have at least one card that would let you spend them.

Any paid ability that includes one or more clicks as all or part of the cost is defined in the rulebook as an Action.

EDIT: Rulebook quote for great glory

Rules p.12 wrote:
Each player, during his turn, takes actions by spending clicks.
A player can only spend his clicks during his own Action phase,
and he must spend all of his clicks in each Action phase.

Rules p.14 wrote:
Some cards have abilities with trigger costs that require the
Corporation to spend one or more clicks. These abilities list the
[click] icon in their trigger cost, and the Corporation can trigger
these abilities only during his Action phase.

Rules p.21 wrote:
Paid abilities can be triggered at the beginning of each turn,
before and after each player action, and at certain points during
a run, unless the ability requires a click, in which case it must be
triggered as an action.

bolded for emphasis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn exceptions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCaribou wrote:
How about Director Haas?

The same as mandatory upgrades. Good catch. In any case, as mentioned above...you cannot spend the click on your opponent's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't spend clicks (for actions, or otherwise e.g. spent on "clickable" bioroids) on your opponent's turn, but presumably you can still lose them?

Say you had 'Rachael Beckman' in play and you recieved 'An Offer You Can't Refuse' into a server where a 'Troll' trace became activated. In that case, the click would be relevant, wouldn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
popeye09 wrote:
You can't spend clicks (for actions, or otherwise e.g. spent on "clickable" bioroids) on your opponent's turn, but presumably you can still lose them?

Say you had 'Rachael Beckman' in play and you recieved 'An Offer You Can't Refuse' into a server where a 'Troll' trace became activated. In that case, the click would be relevant, wouldn't it?

Just to muddy the waters more, Rachel Beckman's card says "You have 1 additional [click] to spend each turn" (emphasis mine). Hmph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I did notice that! It comes down I think to what it means to have the click. I would imagine that if you have it, you can lose it.

If 'Rachael Beckman' said "you may spend an extra click each turn", then I would suggest that you definitely wouldn't be able to lose it, because that wording wouldn't suggest that the click exists before you actively spent it.

The way it is worded it seems like the click exists as a constant thing (you "have" it), so I presume it can be lost. But yes, it's a bit muddy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
Darn exceptions...

For every exception, there is a rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jennings
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So for instance, if a server has heinlein grid and enigma, and the runner has rachel beckman, then offer you can't refuse could cause them to lose all their credits, but if they didn't have her it wouldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Enniss
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It may not be possible to gain clicks during the other player's turn, but it is possible for the runner to gain a click during their discard phase, with Autoscripter and Savoir-faire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.