Subject: Can you take an Unlimited Action and then Pass rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules as written do not allow you to take one or more Unlimited Actions and then Pass (i.e., drop your power to 0) because you need to take Unlimited Action in addition to a Common or Unique Action.

Is that right?

I originally thought it was unintended but now I think it is intended because you can't do an Unlimited Action by itself (except Unlimited Battle). [The confusion for me came from "On rare occasions, a player may have 1 or more Power, yet not wish to do an Action. In this case, the player is allowed to Pass, which drops his Power to 0, and ends his turn." ... but now I don't think that overrides the Unlimited Action requirement.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only situation that I can imagine this happening is when you want to take a empty gate and not move anything else. In this case I'd say you should be allowed to just take the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that was the scenario I was thinking of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heil
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At some point during your turn you have to take an unique or basic action. You can take unlimited actions at any point in the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot take only an unlimited action as your action in the round. If you could, anyone could simply use a poor man's lethargy to swap out cultists on a gate without spending power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Stockseth
msg tools
Ask me about Gladiators: Days of Blood and Glory
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He's not doing that, though. He's controlling a gate, and then passing, dropping his power to 0. Which is a perfectly legal move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blackchance wrote:
He's not doing that, though. He's controlling a gate, and then passing, dropping his power to 0. Which is a perfectly legal move.

That's how I see it too. I guess I'd consider "Passing" and action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Afrofrycook wrote:
You cannot take only an unlimited action as your action in the round. If you could, anyone could simply use a poor man's lethargy to swap out cultists on a gate without spending power.

The only case where this is possible is with combat after you have 6 spellbooks. That is the only unlimited action that can "fill" an action round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
Afrofrycook wrote:

The only case where this is possible is with combat after you have 6 spellbooks. That is the only unlimited action that can "fill" an action round.

correct - when you have 6 spellbooks, and your ONLY action is to do Unlimited Battle, it's essentially treated as NOT an Unlimited Action.

Aside from this exception (Battle), you cannot take an Unlimited Action as your sole Action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
...but is passing an action? As above, I could see an unlimited action (control a gate) and then passing (as an action) being legal as the player could not get any benefit from stalling; they have no additional actions in future rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
...but is passing an action? As above, I could see an unlimited action (control a gate) and then passing (as an action) being legal as the player could not get any benefit from stalling; they have no additional actions in future rounds.

Even if it's not - I'm going to allow that in my games. It's common sense to me that it should be allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:

ah, yes, I see. I would allow it. After all, when you pass, you DO have Power (because "passing" means you are dropping your Power to 0 and do nothing else).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Brother Jim wrote:

Even if it's not - I'm going to allow that in my games. It's common sense to me that it should be allowed.

You can't allow people to just pass because it would practically be giving them Sleepers' lethargy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hobbs
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
reddish22 wrote:
Brother Jim wrote:

You can't allow people to just pass because it would practically be giving them Sleepers' lethargy!

They are not saying that a person can pass their action, move to the next player, and get back in later to do an action.

They are saying that they have power remaining without any standard actions they can perform that they can pass and reduce their power down to zero. And still do an unlimited action such as claiming an empty gate where they have a cultist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
reddish22 wrote:
Brother Jim wrote:

We mean Pass in the sense of "Reduce power to zero and do nothing," Pass. Obviously the other way wouldn't make any sense, I agree with that. I'm just saying on your last action round if you want to control a gate but don't want to move or summon anything else, I would allow the unlimited action right before "passing" i.e. - going to zero power and getting out of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I get it but, dumb question... why would you ever just "Pass" and drop to zero (providing you can summon a Monster or even move a unit preparing for the next turn sequence?)- just asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like it would make things a lot simpler if Pass was simply made to be a Common action (to avoid having to deal with these edge cases).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holywolfman wrote:
Ok I get it but, dumb question... why would you ever just "Pass" and drop to zero (providing you can summon a Monster or even move a unit preparing for the next turn sequence?)- just asking.

If you're already near 0 power, have all of your monsters and cultists in play, and have every unit in the precise defensive position where you want it.

It's rare, but I've seen in done a couple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I've seen experienced players do it none times that I can remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You lie Arthur I've seen Link do it once in one of the youtube videos.

He had 1 power left and nothing really useful to do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol... too funny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added this to my list of suggestions for the rulebook:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/112884/cthulhu-wars-rulebo...

and that I noticed that Pass is actually described in the Common Action section but is not listed in the table of Common Actions at the top of the section.

(Suggest that Action Phase description would also be a bit clearer to say: "In this case, the player is allowed to take the Pass action, which drops his Power to 0, and ends his turn.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bearserker Fr
msg tools
existoid wrote:
correct - when you have 6 spellbooks, and your ONLY action is to do Unlimited Battle, it's essentially treated as NOT an Unlimited Action.

Aside from this exception (Battle), you cannot take an Unlimited Action as your sole Action.

Does the player have to specify if he does an unlimited action of battle or a unique action of battle before resolving it ?

For example, I've 6 spellbooks, and my goal is to clean an area and then move my troops (in the same action). So, I engage a battle, but despite my 12 dice, I only get misses.
Can I choose the battle was in fact a unique action ?
I'm aware this question is mainly theorical, since actually it's very unlikely I would have precised anything before rolling my dice, so it would probably be treated as a unique action if I want.
But in PBF or in the case a player ask me if my battle is an unlimited action or not, do I have to answer him (and be eventually forced to do something else if I decide my units stay after the battle) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been clarified that Unlimited Battle can be your only action for the round, so it's a moot point.

What I'd tell anybody who's confused is that Unlimited Battle is not a new action, but rather a permanent modification of an existing action (that is, Battle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.