Popular Tags: [View All]
Espen Gätzschmann
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coinciding with the launch of our website at www.battlepawn.com , Board Games Online is proud to announce an online PC version of "Descent - Journeys in the Dark". This translation of the popular boardgame features 3D graphics and animation, sound and music, and the ability to play against friends and enemies over the Internet.

Descent has been under development for over a year and is getting close to release. The game will be released through the BattlePawn game engine which lets us produce new, high-quality online boardgame titles rapidly.

For more information and the chance to talk to the developers, please visit our site www.battlepawn.com . We're looking forward to hearing your impressions and opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
After going "wow" for a few minutes, the novelty wore off.

The graphics are not that great and the game play is limited. Why would I play this instead of WoW?

I have a feeling that this game will be like Battlechess. Everyone will want to see the different attacks, but once they have, they will grow bored.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espen Gätzschmann
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent isn't meant to be a competitor to WoW. You won't have to pay monthly fees, and the scale is naturally much smaller. In addition we have translated the toolset feel of the boardgame, letting you create your own quests through a flexible editor.

I'm sorry you didn't like the graphics, though I would also like to point out that the screenshot that is available right now doesn't really show off the good stuff. We have some *very* nice stuff coming up soon which I can't wait to show you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stejskal
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The concept sounds interesting and has plenty of potential. The one screenshot (of Red Scorpion?) isn't very flattering. However all of the other artwork feels very true to the game. I'm interested in how you will implement expansions with new creatures, heroes, etc. Will there be a hero , creature, or item editor? These are things that fans will need access to to really make it on par with the boardgame experience. Until I have a beta to test out there's not much else I can suggest ATM. Good luck and happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
After going "wow" for a few minutes, the novelty wore off.

The graphics are not that great and the game play is limited. Why would I play this instead of WoW?

I have a feeling that this game will be like Battlechess. Everyone will want to see the different attacks, but once they have, they will grow bored.

Mike Z

I don't quite understand your comment, Mike. I don't think this game even remotely tries to compete with WOW. It appears to be a program that allows people to play Descent with each other over the internet (with some soupped up graphics). That generally seems like a good thing (assuming it's not too expensive), since Descent is a long game and it's not always easy to get a group together to play it.

Now if these guys can also get WizWar implemented, I'll be on board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espen Gätzschmann
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to make suggestions for future games for us to convert. I guarantee that we will check out every single suggestion we receive (within reason, of course. So don't copy a list of all the games at BGG or something )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:

Looks good - I take it you actually have a licence off FFG to do this though right?

Oof, yeah that is the actual Descent logo right on the front page. Gotta be copyrighted. (Copywrought?) Gah, and all of the items are straight scans of cards.

Don't BSW and such get away with online versions by making sure they have 0 common art and 0 rules/text from the manual?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorque wrote:

Don't BSW and such get away with online versions by making sure they have 0 common art and 0 rules/text from the manual?

Actually, the publishers PAY BSW to feature their games online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. I've often thought that translating boardgames to the internet would be relatively easy. While it's a digital world, and I don't think they'll replace traditional boardgames, it certainly makes sense to take them there. One of my favorite sites, for instance, features an online version of Robo Rally that is really very good.

As for why would anyone play this when they could play World of Warcraft, that's a rather silly question. I mean, I'm not a deep gamer who wants to invest hours upon hours of my life exploring a complex fantasy world. I just want to be able to sit down and play a game. It's great that WOW exists for those who love it, but for me, this sounds more intriguing.

I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestions:

Robo Rally
Dune
Runebound
Arkham Horror
Zombies!!!
MidEvil
Munchkin
Blue Moon
Killer Bunnies
Wings of War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
MrSkeletor wrote:
Why play WoW:the boardgame when you can play WoW online?

Not the same thing. I play the board game when I'm down at the game shop and the computer game when I am online.

Descent is a dungen crawl game. It works well as a board game, but given the option between running through a dungen in WoW and running through a dungen in Descent Online, I'll pick WoW any day of the week.

While I think that many board games can work well online, Descent isn't one of them.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espen Gätzschmann
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorque wrote:
MrSkeletor wrote:

Looks good - I take it you actually have a licence off FFG to do this though right?

Oof, yeah that is the actual Descent logo right on the front page. Gotta be copyrighted. (Copywrought?) Gah, and all of the items are straight scans of cards.

We're developing Descent under license from FFG. The graphics we use aren't scans from the boardgame, but are based directly off the original graphics. Just take a look at the city background in one of the screenshots. Scanned art wouldn't be that detailed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
MrSkeletor wrote:
Why play WoW:the boardgame when you can play WoW online?

Not the same thing. I play the board game when I'm down at the game shop and the computer game when I am online.

Descent is a dungen crawl game. It works well as a board game, but given the option between running through a dungen in WoW and running through a dungen in Descent Online, I'll pick WoW any day of the week.

While I think that many board games can work well online, Descent isn't one of them.

Mike Z

I have to respectfully disagree. I'm assuming that this version of Descent: Online is not a single-player online game, but a translation of the board game to play with people scattered all over the world. (See: TripleA and it's "conversion" of A&A) Descent is a prime candidate for me for this type of online play. And if they create an AI Overlord that has any compentancy, all the better. Then I can play "offline" against the computer or join with friends that aren't local.

People would play this for the same reason they play TripleA (A&A), Settlers of Catan, or any number of other computer versions of board games, either single player "offline" or multiplayer online. One of the things I first thought of doing when I played Descent was converting it to an online option. I'm excited to see someone doing a fully licensed version of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ståle Tevik
Norway
flag msg tools
[/q]

I have to respectfully disagree. I'm assuming that this version of Descent: Online is not a single-player online game, but a translation of the board game to play with people scattered all over the world.[/q]

Indeed it is. Nothing more, nothing less. If you'd like to play with people you don't know, people you do know, but happen to be far away, go ahead, we are making this game for you. I too prefer playing Descent the actual board game when people have time, but I find those evenings to be most rare for me. So having the option to play it online, you and a friend, perhaps, might find that third or even fifth player.

Besides, you'll probably find strangers who challenge your style of play.

Someone mentioned Skype and Teamspeak. A great idea, I think.
There is already a chatting function in the game, of course.

Glad to see so many responses.

Ståle Tevik
3d artist, Animator and Graphic Designer
Board Games Online

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espen Gätzschmann
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at the latest news at www.battlepawn.com to learn about how we're dealing with boardgame house rules in our computer translations. We'd appreciate if any suggestions for house rules or related comments are posted in our forums. I hope you'll like our ideas for this stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schuyler DuPree
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A free version of RoboRally is available: www.eyeplaygames.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TiLT wrote:
Feel free to make suggestions for future games for us to convert. I guarantee that we will check out every single suggestion we receive (within reason, of course. So don't copy a list of all the games at BGG or something )

Dungeon Quest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hawker
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi,

I'm very curious about this game. The link to battlepawn.com does not work (yet?)

When will it be launched?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TwinsunCentauri wrote:
Hi,

I'm very curious about this game. The link to battlepawn.com does not work (yet?)

When will it be launched?

This thread is 11 years old!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.