Subject: VASSAL: Imperial Assault - Skirmish rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Payton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Imperial Assault Skirmish on Vassal

Hey everyone, I have created a module which allows us to play the Skirmish mode of Imperial Assault on Vassal. Obviously, face-to-face gaming is always better...but Vassal provides a decent alternative for those of us who can't get out to the LGS often enough for our liking. Besides, I've made some good friends by playing on Vassal in other games over the years...so I'd encourage you to give it a shot!

Here is the link:
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_...

You will likely need to update your Vassal engine before you can run it, so here is the link for the update: http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php [Click on the green "Download Vassal 3.2.16 for Windows" link in the middle of the screen.]

I've done a couple of Vassal mods in the past, but I'm always looking for new ways to improve my work, so if anyone has any suggestions for improvement, I'm eager to hear them.

Many BGGers are familiar with Vassal, so I hope that we can get a solid Vassal community going for this game, just like there is for X-Wing and other games. It would be good to set up a Vassal league or tourney at some point in the next few weeks, to really get things moving on this.

So please download it and give it a run. For an introduction to the mod, click at the top on Help and then "Imperial Assault Skirmish Game Instructions".

I hope you guys enjoy it!

thereisnotry

Video Tutorial
If you need help installing Vassal or understanding how to play the mod for the Skirmish mode of Imperial Assault, then watch this video:

http://youtu.be/k1-2Q0oJE4s

UPDATES & CHANGES:
Current Version: 10.8 (Follow the link above and download "Imperial Assault - Skirmish 10.8.vmod")

Change Log:

1.1 CORE SET (January 2015)
--Fixed the non-character Deployment Cards (cards like Temporary Alliance and First Strike were not behaving properly; now they work like normal Deployment Cards)
--Added LOS tool.
--Removed the solid background color from Player Hands, so it's no longer hard on the eyes to expand the Player Hand window beyond its original size.

1.5 WAVE 1 (April 2015)
--Added all of the Wave 1 contents (maps, cards, figures, tokens)
--Added a Condition option to Command Cards, which allows players to create their own proxy versions of Command Cards. To use it, highlight a Command Card and press CTRL C, and type the name of your proxy card into the text box that appears. The new Card Name will appear in large black letters on a bright red background; depending on the length of the card name, this new proxy Card Name can cover over the original Card Name. Note that custom work created in this fashion will not last after you close the program, unless you save that proxy card using the Save/Load function.
--Added a Notes function for those who’d prefer to use that method to reveal squads than the Hide/Reveal function on the Deployment Cards.
--Added sound effects to more pieces, and also to certain Command Cards. Pieces that play a sound now list that command in their R-click menu. Press CTRL S while a Figure is highlighted to play that character’s sound effect. If you have a specific Star Wars sound effect that you’d like to suggest, please send me a PM.
--Added the ability to Draw Multiple Cards from the Deck on the Player Hands. To use it, simply R-click on the Deck when you have cards in your Deck and select this option. A small window will pop up; type in how many cards you want to draw (whether 12 or 945) and press Enter or click Ok. Now your next draw from the deck will pull that many cards at once. This will be useful during setup when loading your Deployment Card deck, because it will allow you to draw all of your Deployment Cards at once, rather than having to click-and-drag each one separately.
--Enlarged the playing area where the map sits. Now both players have more room to lay out their Deployment Cards on either side of the map.
--Fixed the direction of the Bleeding token, and made it so that the proper token appears when you create a token from the Stunned Condition Card.
--Fixed an error with the composition of the Mos Eisley Outskirts map.

1.6 GRAPHIC UPGRADES (July 2015)
--MASSIVE thanks go to Clayton Ryder, who gave many of the components an excellent graphical face-lift. He also suggested a good method of including the Conditions on the figures so that we don’t have to type that info in all the time.
--He and I will be continuing to work together on this moving forward. Pretty much, I'll be taking care of the functionality, while he'll be making sure that the elements of the mod look amazing.

2.0 WAVES 1-2 (September 2015)
--Added all of Wave 2 (Twin Shadows, along with its associated Ally/Villain packs)
--You can now highlight a Figure and press "CTRL-V" to toggle that figure's card. This is a useful feature for those who are cramped for screen space.
--We are currently working on getting a better solution for dice-rolling. We are trying to implement a system similar to what we have in the X-Wing and Armada mods.

3.0 WAVES 1-3 (October 2015)
--Added Wave 3 (Hired Guns, Stormtroopers, Wookie Warriors)
--We've made a breakthrough with the dice system, but it's still in development. We hope to implement it for the next release (Wave 4).
3.1 WAVES 1-3 (October 2015)
--Fixed some problems with the wrong Figures appearing when created from certain Deployment Cards.

4.0 WAVES 1-4 (January 2016)
--Added Return to Hoth (including the first 4-player map)
--MASSIVE upgrade to the dice rolling mechanic. I plan to post a video soon which shows how it works, but if you've played the X-Wing Miniatures mod before then you'll have no trouble, since I basically copied that one. [Please note that your previous save-games will no longer work with the new dice system; Vassal is a little bit picky that way.]

5.0 WAVES 1-5 (February 2016)
--Added the Bantha Rider and Alliance Smuggler.
--Significant change to the Player Hands. They are bigger and now have space for Deployment Cards and Figures, as well as the Command Cards. They also now have 3 Decks, rather than 1. The Command Card deck will still automatically shuffle all items placed in it, but the other 2 decks will not. Other than that, all 3 decks function the same.
--The Map now appears in a separate window (similar to how the X-Wing mod works), in order to make it easier for people who don't have dual-monitors.
--The mod now only has pre-loaded missions for the current Legal Maps (cf https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-imp...), rather than for all 50 missions (25 maps). Each time I made a change to the mod, I was having to re-save EACH of the missions, and it frankly wasn't worth it, since most of the time people will be playing the legal maps.

5.1 WAVES 1-5 (March 2016)
--Added a button on the map window to clear all targeting states (Attacker/Defender).
--Fixed error in dice window. It used to say "Red" when rolling the Black dice.
--Added an extra Random Mission button, but this one has a red outline and is solely for the current Legal Maps (as per the Tournament Rules document). I will keep this updated
--Changed the End Turn sound; it is a now a relatively faint sound of a door opening, rather than a Jawa shouting or R2-D2 whistling.
--Updated the saved maps. Please note that, starting with version 5.0 and onward, I will ONLY be including pre-loaded missions for the current Legal Maps. I had to re-save the missions every time I changed something in the mod, and it was just too much work to keep them all up to date when there are 50 separate missions. From now on, the only pre-loaded missions will be the one for the Legal Maps.

6.0 WAVES 1-6 (June 2016)
--NOTE: You will need to update your Vassal engine to version 3.2.16 in order to use this module. It's easy; just go to the Vassal engine website (link above in this post) and click the Green "Download Vassal 3.2.16 for Windows" button; it takes care of itself.
--Added all of Wave 6 (Bespin Gambit, along with its associated Ally/Villain packs)
--Added the “Note” functionality to Doors, so that we can now track the amount of damage that has been done to them.
--Adjusted the Score Card tokens to automatically add the total VPs from Kills and Objectives. Also, for the benefit of laptop players, I changed it so that you can use your keyboard to update the score, without requiring the use of the NumPad keys.
--Changed the “End Turn” sound; it is no longer a door closing, but instead the soft sound of a TIE fighter flyby.
--Updated the cardback for Neutral Deployment Cards.
--Removed sounds from the few Command Cards that had them; it was possible to highlight an opponent’s card and press CTRL S to play that card’s sound, even if it was face-down. That obviously gave away the card’s identity, so it had to go.
--Removed some excess map space from the Map window. (However, I couldn’t do this for the Wave 1 maps, since I no longer have the original images, apart from the grid.) The extra space was originally there to give us room to organize our Deployment Cards during the match, but now that we have Player Hands it just wastes space. Hopefully this will help make the mod easier to use for those of us without a dual-monitor setup.
--Added pre-saved games for the maps on the Legal Maps list in UK/Europe. All maps are obviously still in the module and can still be used, but only the maps that are on the Legal Maps lists (for USA and UK/Europe) have pre-saved missions. It is my plan to keep these lists updated in the module so that all IA skirmish players from around the world have an easy time setting up games on Vassal. PLEASE let me know if the European map list changes or if I’ve somehow missed one of the Legal Maps for your region.
--Added more Zoom options for maps. All windows now increase and decrease the zoom by 10% per step (the range is 10%-150%), so that it’s easier for people to customize their screen usage.
--The sound for the Attack Dice in the Dice Window is no longer a regular blaster shot sound, which could get a little bit loud after a while, and is now a much softer ricochet sound.
--On all Figures: Changed the naming of the “Focus” condition to “Beneficial Condition 1” and “…2” and added the Hidden condition. So CTRL F no longer brings up the Focused condition; instead, the Beneficial Conditions cycle through each other with CTRL 4 and 5 (on the right side of the figure), just as the Harmful Conditions do on the left side of the figure. The Carry Object marker is now CTRL 6.
--MAJOR adjustment to Command Decks, Command Cards, and Player Hands:
===Removed the Deployment Card Deck and Figure Decks from all Player Hands. You can simply load those pieces from the main Command Card Deck. This was because of this next change....
===You can now send a Command Card to the top or bottom of a Deck (Heroic Effort is one card that gives this option). When you choose this option, a window will pop up, asking you which Deck you wish to send the card to, and you will have to choose from all the Decks listed. It became very cumbersome to do this with the Deployment and Figure Decks in the mix, and they really didn’t add much functionality to the module. The basic design of the Player Hands has stayed the same though (with areas for CCs, DCs, and Figures).
===You can now search a Deck for a specific Command Card (for cards like Devotion that allow you to do this during the game). However, Vassal currently provides no way to report when a player does this (ugh!!), so if I made the normal Command Decks searchable then it would open the door to all kinds of cheating shenanigans. Therefore, I created a separate window (the Search Window, designated with its own button on the top button menu) where you can send your Command Deck; your opponent will be notified when you send your Command Cards here. When your Command Cards are in the Search Deck you can r-click to Draw a Specific Card (again via a pop-up window); choose the card you want and then drag the top card off of the deck, and it will be the card you selected. (The cards are listed in alphabetical order, and not by their order in the deck.) The cards drawn from any Deck in this window will be drawn face-down. In many cases the rules require you to will Reveal that card to show your opponent what you drew, in which case it’s the player’s responsibility to make that happen. In other cases, you don’t show your opponent what the card is (ie, Behind Enemy Lines). After you’re done in this window you can send the Command Deck back to your Player Hand via a r-click interface.
===There have been a lot of changes to the Vassal mod this year, and this Command Card deck change is a big one. I plan to post an instructional video to YouTube in the next week or so, explaining in detail how all the different parts of the mod work.

7.0 WAVES 1-7 (July 2016)
--Added all of Wave 7 (The Grand Inquisitor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Greedo) with cards, figures, and maps.
--Fixed minor bug with Shuffle reports for Command Decks.
--Fixed an error with Terminal placement on both pre-saved Nelvaanian Warzone missions.
--Added Promo cards as Layers to the regular Deployment Cards that have them (press ALT-A to toggle between the cards). Included are all promo cards up to the 2016 Nationals (Boba Fett).
--Adjusted the Report function in the Dice Window so that it now reports properly when you roll a specific die (by pressing 1, 2, 3, or 4), rather than only when you roll a specific number of dice (by pressing CTRL-1, CTRL-2, etc). It’s now easier to use and read the Report.
--Adjusted the Zoom Capability commands, because they were conflicting with the commands to adjust the Objective VPs on the Scorecards (CTRL=). On all maps with Zoom capability, the keyboard shortcuts are now “ALT=” and “ALT-" to Zoom In and Zoom Out, respectively.
--Added a button to each Player Hand that will send all of your face-down Command Cards to your deck. This will be VERY handy for building your deck of Command Cards at the beginning of a match. In the past you had to click-and-drag each of your 15 Command Cards over to the Deck after assembling them on your Player Hand, and it was tedious. Now you simply need to highlight them all and Hide them (via r-click or pressing CTRL-H), and then click the button: they will all go to your Command Deck with one click. Please note that yes, you will still need to Shuffle your deck after doing this, because you can manipulate the order in which the cards will go to the deck. [It is sportsmanlike courtesy for each player to Shuffle his/her deck at the start of each match.] This button will only send your face-down cards and not your face-up cards, because that could potentially be disastrous, if you happened to accidentally click this button mid-game. This button also only works for Command Cards; you’ll still need to drag your Deployment Cards and Figures to the deck as normal, for Saving purposes.

7.1 WAVES 1-7 (November 2016)
--Updated the Legal Maps button, dropping Training Ground for ISB Headquarters. Added the ISB Headquarters pre-saved missions. Europe and North America now use the same Map List for tournaments, so the “Legal Maps (EU)” button has been removed since it’s now redundant.
--Reduced the size of all Tokens (Terminals, Crates, etc) to be 60% of what they were before, so that it’s now easier to see and access your Figure while it’s occupying the same space as a Token. Companion Tokens are now at 80% of their original size.
--Added 2 new buttons to each Player Hand. They will send all of your Deployment Cards and Figures, respectively, to your deck. They have no purpose during the game, but simply make it easier to save your squads. They function just like the button that sends your Command Cards to your deck (cf Version 7.0), but these 2 buttons will only send your Deployment Cards or Figures (of any size), respectively.
--Added a “Ready DCs” button to each Player Hand. At the end of the round (when all of your Deployment Cards are Exhausted), simply click this button to Ready them all at once.

8.0 WAVES 1-8 (January 2017)
--Added all of Wave 8 (Jabba’s Realm, along with its associated Ally/Villain packs) with cards and figures. The new maps from Jabba’s Realm (ie, Jabba’s Palace, The Dune Sea, etc) are NOT in yet, but will hopefully be coming soon.
--Updated the Random Map button and the pre-loaded missions list to account for the change to the official Legal Maps list. Nelvaanian War Zone is now out, and Anchorhead Cantina/Bar is in (along with Coruscant Landfill and ISB Headquarters).
--Added a space for Player Names on the Score Cards. Now you can press CTRL-N (or R-click and choose “Add a Player Name”) to put your name on the Score Card, which will help in the various leagues and tournaments that get played on Vassal.
--Added some sounds, where appropriate. Listen to the very location-specific Music (CTRL-M) on the Anchorhead Cantina/Bar mission cards! Doors can now make a sound too.
--BIG CHANGE: Organized all Command Cards by their Traits. Before this, there were 4 tabs in this section (Imperial, Mercenary, Rebel…and “no affiliation,” which was huge and therefore cumbersome). But now there are 17 tabs (Uniques for each faction, along with a separate tab for each Trait: Brawler, Creature, Trooper, etc). There are two things to note here:
1. Faction-specific cards that are not restricted to Unique figures are now listed in the list with their associate Trait (ie, Force Lightning in the Force User list, etc), and they also have an indicator in the name, specifying what faction is required to play them (ie, “Opportunistic (Mercenary).” The faction-specific lists now only hold the Command Cards for that faction’s –Unique- figures.
2. If a card does not require a certain Trait but gives special emphasis to a certain Trait (ie, “Planning” is better with Leaders), then it will be in BOTH the “Any Figure” list and also the list for the specific trait that it benefits (ie, Leader). I also included the “Crush” card in with both the Creature and Vehicle lists, since those are the only 2 Traits that currently have Massive figures. Likewise, Jundland Terror is in the Creature list as well as the Any Figure list.
This change should make it easier to build your command decks on Vassal. All cards are still listed in alphabetical order (rather than by Cost, which was an option too and may become necessary as the game continues to grow).

8.1 WAVES 1-8 (January 2017)
--Minor update: fixed the Deployment Cards for “Motivation” and “Jabba the Hutt.” Delete version 8.0 (or any other previous version) because you won't need it. Use version 8.1 from now on.

8.2 Waves 1-8 (April 2017)
Biggest update since the change to the dice roller, back in version 4.0 (back in January 2016)!!
--Major Change: You can now move your Figures (and Companion tokens) on the board by pressing the keys on your keyboard! Massive thanks and kudos to DTDanix for the suggestion! When he asked about it, I thought, “Well, the X-Wing mod does this, so I know it’s possible….” It was actually a pretty easy adjustment once I figured it out.
A few things to note here:
1. On the NUMPad (make sure that NUMLock is ON!), press the 1 to move Down-Left, the 2 to move Down, the 3 to move Down-Right, the 4 to move Left, etc. 2x2 figures can only move Up/Down/Left/Right and not diagonally, as per the rules of the game. The 2x3 and 1x2 figures can rotate up or down, left or right and move to their new space, all in one step; I think it’s fairly intuitive once you try it a few times…this will be a *huge* hassle-saver for these figures in particular!
2. On a regular laptop keyboard you can use –some- of this new functionality, via the four arrow buttons on your keyboard (up/down/left/right). Apologies, but diagonal movement is only available if you have a full NUMPad on the right side of your keyboard. [You can obviously have the same effect via the R-Click menu too, but that doesn’t save you much time or hassle.]
3. Any new figures created will have this functionality, but any figures that are currently saved in your decks will not. If you want your squads of figures to have this keyboard movement, then you’ll need to remove your current figures and re-save your squad with newly-created figures.
--Major Change: Reroll indicators! It used to be difficult to tell, just by looking, whether or not a die had been rerolled. But now, after a die has been rerolled, it will be surrounded by a gray outline (aka the “Reroll Indicator”), and the Reroll function for that die will be grayed-out and no longer be able to be selected.
--Minor Change: Added a “Determine Initiative” button at the top of the main window, to the left of the Cards/Figures/Tokens button. L-Clicking this button will bring up a small drop-down menu which allows you to randomly determine who starts with initiative in a 2, 3, or 4 Player game. The result will be displayed in the chat window, indicating the player who starts with initiative. Note that if, for example, you’re playing a 2-Player game and one of you has the Player 2 Hand and one of you has the Player 4 Hand (which is totally fine), the randomizer will still choose between Player 1 and Player 2. Therefore, before clicking this button, you and your opponent should agree together who will be referred to as Player 1 and Player 2 for this function.
--Minor Change: You can now summon the Junk Droid’s Companion Card from the Ugnaught Tinkerer’s (reg or elite) deployment card…just press CTRL-C. In the same manner, you can also summon Salacious B. Crumb’s Companion Card from the Indentured Jester deployment card.
----Similarly, you can summon a Junk Droid token from the Ugnaught Tinkerer’s figure (reg or elite)…just press CTRL-J, and the new droid companion token will appear on top of the Ugnaught’s figure. This will make it easier to place and activate your Junk Droids.
--Minor Change: Using the Create Figure feature while a Deployment Card is selected will now create the number of figures that are included in that group. All Deployment Cards will now give you the option to “Create Figure” or “Create 2 Figures” or “Create 3 Figures,” according to the number of figures that come with their group…but the keyboard command for this function remains CTRL-F for all. Therefore, you will no longer have to press CTRL-F three times in a row to create all 3 of your Stormtrooper figures from your Deployment Card; instead, just press CTRL-F once, and all 3 figures will be created, beside each other (and not on top of each other). This will eliminate some of the hassle involved in having to count how many figures you’ve created, and then having to un-stack them from each other in order to set them up on the board.
--Changed the Location of the Number text on the 1x1 and 1x2 Figures…now, if you add text it will show up in the center of the figure’s image, rather than on the side, where it used to be covered up if that figure had a second beneficial condition.
--Added the maps from the Jabba’s Realm expansion. I’m sorry for the delay in getting these added in. Also, if anyone knows Photoshop Elements really well, I would greatly appreciate your help. Rob continues to provide excellent scans, but the person who used to do the Photoshop magic has disappeared. As a result, the new maps do not have those cool colored borders that outline the different Deployment Zones on the maps. I don’t know how to do this the way that he did, and so, until someone can either step into this work or else show me how to do it myself, any new maps added to Vassal will not have the Deployment Zones outlined. I’d greatly appreciate any help that anyone could offer in this regard!

9.0 Waves 1-9 (May 2017)
--Added all of Wave 9 (BT-1 & 0-0-0, Jawa Scavenger, Hera & Chopper).
--Major Change: Score Cards: 2 changes.
1. You can now increase and decrease the value of the Kill VPs and Objective VPs also by pressing the + and – keys (respectively) on the Numpad. This is to make it easier for our friends in Europe, some of whom were not able to use the keyboard shortcuts that were originally programmed in, because their keyboard layouts are different than ours.
2. You can now also increase and decrease the value of Kill VPs and Objective VPs by #. [# is the number you press, between 1-0 on your keyboard. Pressing the “0” key counts as 10.] This will make the adjusting of VPs during the game both easier and also less prone to error.
…for Kill VPs:
“ALT #” to increase Kill VPs by #
“ALT SHIFT #” to decrease Kill VPs by #
…for Objective VPs:
“ALT CTRL #” to increase Objective VPs by #
“ALT CTRL SHIFT #” to decrease Objective VPs by #
--Minor Change: Player Colors: Changed the Purple color to Red. Red and Blue are the color of the deployment zones on the official Rulesheets, and that wording sometimes shows up on the Skirmish Mission Cards. Also, the distinction was not always as clear as I’d like between the Blue and Purple colors.
--Noteworthy: For Focused on the Kill (IG-88's fix card) you can press ALT A to switch between the FotK card and an adjusted Deployment Card for IG-88 himself. I pulled this card image straight off of the FFG forums, and so I want to personally thank Futil, because I used the image that he posted there (https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/249054-fix-ca...).

9.1 Waves 1-9 (July 30 2017)
--The current Tournament Maps (and their associated missions) are now pre-loaded in the module for easy access. According to the official “Skirmish Tournament Regulations” document, Version 2.2 (effective July 27, 2017), the Tournament Maps are Anchorhead Cantina, Jabba’s Palace, and Nal Hutta Swamps.
--Major Change: We are starting to get more and more figures and conditions with automatic Damage or Surges or Blocks or Evades (plus the new Power Tokens, coming in the next Wave), so I added a small button for each of those to the Dice window. If you’d like to take advantage of this (not necessary at all, btw), just highlight the thing that you have extra for (ie, +1 Dmg for Jedi Luke, or +1 Evade for Obiwan) and press the UP or DOWN arrows on your keyboard. It’ll now be easier for you to keep track of all of the variables in play during each attack/defense roll, if you’d like to.
--Minor Change: In your Player Hand you can now press the new “Reveal/Hide Cards” button to easily select and flip all of the cards that you’ve got (which aren’t currently in your Deck). Just be careful not to do this during the game, because your opponent will be able to see what command cards you have in your hand.
--Minor Change: Adjusted the “+ Dmg” and “- Dmg” function on all Figures; they used to only work with the + and – keys on the main part of the keyboard (and not on European keyboards), but now this function also works with the + and – keys on your Numpad. I thought I had included this fix in an earlier update, but I must’ve saved over that work, so that it didn’t get in to the 9.0 update…but it’s here now! I apologize to our European players for delay!
--Minor Change: For each Figure, changed the “View Card” function so that it now creates a new copy of that figure’s Deployment Card a little bit over to the side, so that you don’t need to fiddle back and forth with the Figure itself; rather, you can press CTRL-V (as before), but now you can move the Deployment Card around while you work through the rest of your turn…then Delete (CTRL-X) the extra card after you’re done with it. It seems like this will be a little bit more user-friendly. I’d prefer it if an opponent could mouse-over your Deployment Cards that are sitting in your Player Hand in order to enlarge them, but I still haven’t found a way to do that, so I hope that this workaround will help for now.

9.2 Waves 1-9 (August 7, 2017)
--Fixed an error with the Damage counter on the Figures. Thanks to Ryan Jamal and Nick V (on the FFG boards) for bringing this issue to my attention.
--Fixed an error with some Skirmish Mission Cards: added the proper cards for the “Tarkin Initiative Lab” and the “Mos Eisley Back Alley” maps; I had neglected to actually add these Mission Cards when I originally worked on that wave. Thanks to ricope (on the FFG boards) for bringing this issue to my attention.

10.0 Waves 1-10 (October 2017)
--Added all of Wave 10 (Heart of the Empire, Ahsoka, Emperor Palpatine, Maul). The new maps from this wave have NOT been added yet, but I will hopefully be able to add them within a few weeks.
--Thanks to Rob Wisner for providing high-quality scans of all the components.
--Thanks to Futil for providing excellent summary cards for the new Han, Chewie, and Vader, just as he did for IG-88 last time!
--Major Change: The “Automatic Modifiers” functionality (in the Dice window) has had a major upgrade. Rather than having to highlight the modifier and then press UP or DOWN on your keyboard, you now simply need to L-click on the green Up arrow or the red Down arrow, and the value will update itself. I think you’ll find that this method is more user-friendly than the old interface, but in a moment you’ll see that it was also necessary because of Power Tokens (see below). Whenever you press the “Clear Dice” button at the top of the Dice window, it will also reset all of the Automatic Modifiers.
--Major Change: Power Tokens! Oh boy, where to start? These are a significant mechanical change to the way that the game is played, and they are both created and used quite frequently, so those interfaces need to be both smooth and intuitive.
----To create a Power Token quickly and easily (outside of simply dragging them out of the Tools menu), simply go to your Player Hand and L-click on the specific Power Token that you want (in the header beside the other buttons)…a new copy of that Power Token will be created there on your Player Hand, with your player colors (Green for Player 1, Red for Player 2, etc), and a report will be posted in the main chat window. From there you can drag it to wherever you want it.
----To spend a Power Token, simply R-click on the Power Token and then choose “Spend this ____ Power Token.” [There is intentionally no keyboard shortcut for this command, because it would be frustrating to have these accidentally fire off when you’re trying to type something.] When you do this, a few things will happen: (1) a brief sound notification will play, notifying your opponent that you’ve used a Power Token, (2) the token you R-clicked will be deleted, and (3) the appropriate value in the “Automatic Modifiers” section of the Dice window will be adjusted accordingly.
--Major Change: Shapes! That is, the Clawdite Shapeshifter adds another new mechanic to the game. Here’s how it works:
----On the Deployment Cards for the Clawdite Shapeshifters (both elite and regular), you can press CTRL-C to create the Shape Card, which will appear over the bottom edge of your Deployment Card (not covering up any text on the Depl Card).
----The Shape card will first appear in the Scout form, but by pressing ALT-S you can ALTer or switch to other forms. You do not need to draw multiple copies of the Shape card and move them around during the match because that would be tedious.
----For visual ease of reference, there are colored indicators on the corners of the Shape card, which correspond to the shape that is currently being used: Yellow for Senator (because that Shape adds a Yellow die), Red for the Streetrat (because that Shape rolls a Red for Assassin’s Blade), and Blue for Scout (because that Shape uses a Blue die on attacks). This is helpful in keeping track of things because….
----The Clawdite Shapeshifter figures also use the same color indicators and the same interface: press ALT-S to change the Shape…when you do that, the Yellow, Red, or Blue indicator marker on the bottom-center of the Clawdite’s figure image will adjust itself accordingly. It can be helpful to highlight both the Shape card and the Figure at the same time, and then press ALT-S just once, so that both adjust at the same time.
----Whenever you adjust the Shape (both on the Shape card and on the Figure), a report will be posted to the main chat window.

10.1 Waves 1-10 (December 2017)
--Fixed an issue with the Mos Eisley Back Alleys map, along with several other bugs (Companion tokens and cards, +/- Numpad functionality for Damage, added Rubble Tokens and made it so that Drokatta’s figure can create them, etc).
--Created a tab for Companions, alongside the tabs for Cards, Figures, and Tokens. Thanks to Golan Trevise for the suggestion! Companion Cards and Tokens are no longer accessible from their former locations.
--Adjusted the Command Cards so that a CC’s sound (press CTRL-S...not listed on the R-click menu) can only be played when the card is face-up, and no longer when it is Hidden. Obviously, not all CC's will play a sound.
--Added a Card Counter for the Deck in each Player Hand. It only counts Command Cards, and not the other elements that are in the Deck (such as Deployment Cards or Figures when a saved squad is loaded). Also, you will no longer see a “leaning” stack of cards and figures in your Player Hand Deck when you have multiple cards/figures in the Deck.
--Major Change: Almost completely re-vamped how Power Tokens work: in short, they now function just like Conditions do, with a small graphic being shown on the Figure’s image. The user interface for Power Tokens in the previous update was rather clunky, because you had to move the Power Tokens around on the map whenever you moved the Figure that had the token. However, with this new update you now just need to highlight the Figure that is gaining the Power Token, then press CTRL-6 or CTRL-7 to “Cycle Power Tokens,” just as you already do to give a Figure a Condition of some sort. The Power Token will appear on the Figure’s image. To spend the Power Token, R-Click on the figure and choose “Spend [Damage/Surge/etc] Power Token.” This will trigger the Damage/Surge/etc Modifier in the Dice Window (exactly as the original Power Tokens did with the previous update), and will also delete the Power Token from your Figure’s image.
--The original Power Tokens are still included in the Tokens menu (and continue to function as they did before), and can also each be created with a single click on the Player Hands, but I imagine that 96.2% of the time people will simply use the Figure’s interface instead.
--With this update, a Figure’s name in the main chat window will now indicate any Conditions (listed as (Bleeding) or (Focused), etc), as well as any Power Tokens (listed as {Damage} or {Surge}, etc) that they currently have.
--Rules note: Take note that the HotE rulebook (p.4) specifies that a Figure can never have more than 2 Power Tokens at any point; also, a Figure cannot spend more than 1 Power Token per attack.
--Also, FWIW, the keyboard shortcut to “Carry Object” is now CTRL-8 rather than CTRL-6, and appears at the bottom-center of the figure's image, rather than at the top-center.

10.2 Waves 1-10 (January 2018)
--The current Tournament Maps (and their associated missions) are now pre-loaded in the module for easy access. According to the official “Skirmish Tournament Regulations” document, Version 3.0 (effective January 1, 2018), the Tournament Maps are Jabba’s Palace, Nal Hutta Swamps, and Mos Eisley Back Alleys.

10.3 Waves 1-10 (April 2018)
--The current Tournament Maps (and their associated missions) are now pre-loaded in the module for easy access. According to the official “Skirmish Tournament Regulations” document, Version 3.1 (effective April 23, 2018), the Tournament Maps are Nal Hutta Swamps, Mos Eisley Back Alleys, and Uscru Entertainment District. [Note that currently, of the maps from Wave 10, only the Uscru map is available on Vassal; the other maps will be coming later. Thanks for your patience!]
--Fixed the Command Card Counting feature in each Player Hand. It should now work as intended for each one.

10.4 Waves 1-10 (May 2018)
--The current Tournament Maps (and their associated missions) are now pre-loaded in the module for easy access. According to the official “Skirmish Tournament Regulations” document, Version 3.2 (effective July 23, 2018), the Tournament Maps are Mos Eisley Back Alleys, Uscru Entertainment District, and Tarkin Initiative Labs.
--Please read these brief instructions to help you with functionality for these 2 new missions:
--For mission “A. Rogue AI” I’ve created a simple “Mission Token Shuffler” token, which is pre-loaded on the map when you load this mission. [If you decide to set it up yourself, you can find this token at the bottom of the Tokens menu.] It works fairly simply: r-click and select the “Shuffle” option, or else highlight the token and press CTRL-S to shuffle the tokens. Please note that the mission requires that you cannot get the same color twice, so if you happen to get the same result after shuffling that you had beforehand, then simply shuffle again and hope for a different result.
--For mission “B. Abandoned Research” I’ve created small “B” tokens, which I’ve placed on the map to help make setup easier. Feel free to delete them at any point once you don’t need them anymore. If you need to place them again (or if you’ve decided to set up the mission for yourself), you’ll find the “B” tokens at the bottom of the Tokens menu, under the Mission Token Shuffler that I created for the other mission on this map.

10.5 Waves 1-10 (July 2018)
--Added the Deployment Cards, Command Cards, and Figures that have been spoiled from the upcoming Tyrants of Lothal expansion box, along with its associated Ally/Villain packs. You’ll find the cards and figures at the bottom of their respective lists, with this designation to show that they are just previews at this point: “- [name] –“. Now you can easily test and/or use some of the new stuff, if you’re so inclined. Obviously, we don’t have all of the new cards/figures at this point, nor the new maps. I’ll update again if we get a bunch of new cards previewed before the actual release.
--Added a special new fan-made contribution to the Neutral Skirmish Upgrade Card list…check it out! (And try the Play Sound function for it too!) 

10.6 Waves 1-10 (July 2018)
--Added some more Deployment Cards, Command Cards, and Figures that have been spoiled from the upcoming Tyrants of Lothal expansion box. Not necessary to download, unless you want to use these new cards.

10.7 Waves 1-10 (August 2018)
--More Deployment Cards, Command Cards, and Figures that have been spoiled from the upcoming Tyrants of Lothal expansion box (in this case, the Thrawn pack). Not necessary to download, unless you want to use these new cards.

10.8 Waves 1-10 (August 2018)
--More Deployment Cards, Command Cards, and Figures that have been spoiled from the upcoming Tyrants of Lothal expansion box (in this case, the Hondo pack). Not necessary to download, unless you want to use these new cards.

Please continue to let me know if you find any errors or omissions. I I want people’s experience playing IA Skirmish on Vassal to be as smooth and enjoyable as possible. Thanks so much, all of you, for your help with this!

**ALSO** The Vassal mod is quite far behind on Promo cards. If you can provide high quality scans of these promo cards (300 dpi or greater), then please contact me; here is a list of the cards that we still do not have in the Vassal mod:
-Han Solo (2015)
-Nexu (2016)
-Leia Organa (2016)
-Rebel Saboteur (2016)
-Kayn Somos (2016)
-Unshakable (2017)
-Junk Droid (2017)
-Lando Calrissian (2017)
-R2-D2 (2017)
-Obi-Wan Kenobi (2017)
-The Grand Inquisitor (2017)
-Imperial Officer (2017)
-Alliance Smuggler (2017)
-Tusken Raider (2017)
-Royal Guard Champion (2017)
...Help me, those of you with Promo cards and good scanners...you're my only hope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Downloading now. I can't wait to check it out. I've been meaning to work on this, but painting came first. I'm glad someone else was able to put this together.

I'm especially excited because my twin brother and I both bought the game but he's on the East coast and I'm out West, so we can't really play against each other without this mod.

EDIT: Just a head's up. FFG is really sensitive to full image scans of their cards being posted online. If you don't replace those images with censored images like in the X-Wing module, you'll probably be asked to take this one down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Payton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
Awesome! Downloading now. I can't wait to check it out. I've been meaning to work on this, but painting came first. I'm glad someone else was able to put this together.

I'm especially excited because my twin brother and I both bought the game but he's on the East coast and I'm out West, so we can't really play against each other without this mod.

Cool! I'm glad you like it. I hope that a lot of players get hooked up with it. We had a dynamite group of gamers going with SWM on Vassal for several years, way back when. I'd like to see the same thing (but bigger!) for IA.

Budgernaut wrote:
EDIT: Just a head's up. FFG is really sensitive to full image scans of their cards being posted online. If you don't replace those images with censored images like in the X-Wing module, you'll probably be asked to take this one down.
Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I figure that forgiveness is easier than permission. It'll be much less convenient if I had to de-text the cards.

And besides, I really can't imagine someone playing this game on Vassal when they down even own the physical copy themselves. People don't struggle with a Vassal interface (always less fun than real life) when they're not already invested in the game. The only times I've ever bothered learning a game on Vassal were when I already owned a physical copy of the game and wanted to find more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just looked at it quickly and it seems well.
I will come back if I find bugs or something to add.

Also I agree that having the full card scans is practically essential. If you do run into problems with FFG though, I could help with blanking some cards.

Also: is there a way to scan and import cards locally in Vassal like in OCTGN? That could solve the problem and also make different language versions easier to play on Vassal when they finally do come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing the response on images here, it makes me very glad that I declined to include images in the download of my SWIA Skirmish Army Builder.

I assume VASSAL can probably search for image files at runtime, so perhaps you can use the same approach I did. I have my app check to see if the image files for the cards are in a specific location, only displaying them if it finds them. (Edit: I just realised that I think that's what Stephan is referring to whistle)

You know, it might be kind of interesting if we synchronise the Army saving methods between our two apps... I use a rather simple text format to save the army lists that should be easy to parse if you want to add that into your module, or I guess I could try to figure out the saves of the VASSAL app... or both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brook
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
doesnt the Descent Vassal mod have scanned artwork etc? I think you will be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jonnyb815 wrote:
doesnt the Descent Vassal mod have scanned artwork etc? I think you will be fine.

For the LOTR LCG FFG usually wants the cards not put on the internet until 6 months after release. If you go by that logic, scans should be okay in the summer, but aren't now.

Without official word, it's hard to know. I'd just keep it up and take it down as soon as they demand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the cards / graphics might be ok as long as you blank out the full text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Payton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
You know, it might be kind of interesting if we synchronise the Army saving methods between our two apps... I use a rather simple text format to save the army lists that should be easy to parse if you want to add that into your module, or I guess I could try to figure out the saves of the VASSAL app... or both!

I'd love to see that happen. However, my programming skills aren't at that level yet, and so someone with that ability would need to make it happen.

As for the rest of the comments about full scans and FFG's comments: I've heard nothing from FFG. Obviously if they contact me I'll address it immediately. I love IA and want it to thrive (it's the reason I made the mod in the first place!), and so it's definitely a good idea to stay on good terms with the company!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brook
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
jacenat wrote:
jonnyb815 wrote:

For the LOTR LCG FFG usually wants the cards not put on the internet until 6 months after release. If you go by that logic, scans should be okay in the summer, but aren't now.

Without official word, it's hard to know. I'd just keep it up and take it down as soon as they demand it.

That makes zero sense since that's a lcg and you can fully play the game without paying for it. Odds are after that six months the packs are over and sales will go down for those items. It makes sense from a LCG but not from a miniature point of view were you need a lot of pieces to play the game without payings and sales wont go down as much.

Yes you can play the game without paying on vassal but what I would do to be save is take away the missions and deployment cards and force them to have them in hand or just look them up somewhere else like we did with minis. What I am getting at is that ffg only cares if you have a way of playing the game without paying or it effects their brand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sanzén
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi just wanted to tell everyone that me and my brother played a game last night. We used skype and had a blast.
The scenario was "Leave no evidence" it worked fine! I won!
Is there a LOS mechanic, that was the only thing I felt was missing. Have not had time to fully check around everything yet.
Also saving your command deck worked fine, are you supposed to put your deployment cards in your hand to? Can yousave your deployment cards?

Looking forward to playing more there!
have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You should first read the Learn to Play - Read This First guide. Then look at the line of sight examples from the rules reference guide. Then read the Skirmish guide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sanzén
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I of course meant in the Vassal program, not the game itself. I know you go rom one corner to two of the opponents.
I mean like there is in X-wing where you can choose "Show firing arc".
It is a little hard to check narrow LOS on your computer screen. So a wy to draw lines on the map would be agreat feature.

have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Payton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. Yes, there is a way to a LOS function to the mod. I had meant to do it, but I must've forgotten. I'll make sure to add it as an update soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Payton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thereisnotry wrote:
Thanks for that. Yes, there is a way to a LOS function to the mod. I had meant to do it, but I must've forgotten. I'll make sure to add it as an update soon.
Make that VERY soon!
The update is uploaded. It's version 1.1.

Changes:
--Fixed non-character Deployment Cards (cards like Temporary Alliance and First Strike were not behaving properly; now they work like normal Dep Cards)
--Added LOS tool.
--Removed solid background color from Player Hands, so it's no longer hard on the eyes to expand the window beyond the original Player Hand size.

The link in the original post of this thread is still the one to use; just choose the top link ("Imperial Assault - Skirmish 1.1.vmod").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Payton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recorded and uploaded a tutorial video to YouTube, to help people install Vassal and understand the IA mod.

http://youtu.be/k1-2Q0oJE4s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Staples
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nice job, looks great. I had a weird hang up after installation but a reboot cleared it up.

Everything seems to be going well except for one minor thing - Depending on how I select my mission I can't be Player 1. Not a huge problem given there are three other players to select. But it could be an issue for somebody down the road. It also could be an ID-10T error on my part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Payton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ozmo wrote:
Really nice job, looks great. I had a weird hang up after installation but a reboot cleared it up.

Everything seems to be going well except for one minor thing - Depending on how I select my mission I can't be Player 1. Not a huge problem given there are three other players to select. But it could be an issue for somebody down the road. It also could be an ID-10T error on my part.
Actually, if you can't be Player 1, maybe it's because you already are Player 1. Whenever you load a new game (the pre-loaded game in the mod, with the tokens and Mission Card already on the map), you are Player 1 by default.

A simple way to test it is to load up a game as normal and then open the Player 1 Hand and see if you can move cards/figures onto it. If you can, then you are Player 1 (because only Player 1 can interact with that Player Hand board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Staples
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thereisnotry wrote:
ozmo wrote:

Actually, if you can't be Player 1, maybe it's because you already are Player 1. Whenever you load a new game (the pre-loaded game in the mod, with the tokens and Mission Card already on the map), you are Player 1 by default.

A simple way to test it is to load up a game as normal and then open the Player 1 Hand and see if you can move cards/figures onto it. If you can, then you are Player 1 (because only Player 1 can interact with that Player Hand board).

I thought about that. What happened when I tried to move figures to the map, open dice or do anything else Vassal completely hung up on me and I had to kill the process. Took a bit of playing around and that's when I figured out if I picked Player 2-4 it worked fine. So that's what I've been doing. I checked a bunch of different things - moving to a different directory in case it was a permissions issue, checking Java version, re-installing, etc. All solved when I picked a different player number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Payton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ozmo wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
ozmo wrote:

I thought about that. What happened when I tried to move figures to the map, open dice or do anything else Vassal completely hung up on me and I had to kill the process. Took a bit of playing around and that's when I figured out if I picked Player 2-4 it worked fine. So that's what I've been doing. I checked a bunch of different things - moving to a different directory in case it was a permissions issue, checking Java version, re-installing, etc. All solved when I picked a different player number.
That's odd; I've been playing on Vassal for a decade now, and I've never heard of that happening before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brook
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
TINT

Anyway you could get a hint/Show Squad list like with SWM.Not a fan of using the deployment cards and revealing that way. I know peterson isnt either.

Also could you add a comment button to the command cards in case you are using proxy cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Staples
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thereisnotry wrote:
ozmo wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
ozmo wrote:

That's odd; I've been playing on Vassal for a decade now, and I've never heard of that happening before.

Yup. I've been on vassal for 5 or 6 years (off and on). It's weird. I have it working well enough but haven't dug into root cause. Figured I'd bring it up and see if anybody else experienced it. No other issues with other modules installed. One of those things I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brook
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Tile 20b is flipped on the core mission which changes how the map is played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Payton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyb815 wrote:
TINT

Anyway you could get a hint/Show Squad list like with SWM.Not a fan of using the deployment cards and revealing that way. I know peterson isnt either.

Also could you add a comment button to the command cards in case you are using proxy cards.

Thanks for the suggestions. It shouldn't be a problem to implement them.

jonnyb815 wrote:
Tile 20b is flipped on the core mission which changes how the map is played.
Thanks. I noticed this too. I'll fix it in the next update.

The next update will be when I update the mod with Wave 1 stuff...when my Wave 1 stuff arrives...next week or so. And it'll take me a few days of work to make the update. I'll try to get it done as soon as possible, because I know that skirmish play will be picking up now that the OP season is starting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Payton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

Anticipated timeline for an update to the Vassal mod:

I've ordered my expansion packs from an online retailer, and my (eagerly!) anticipated delivery date is this Thursday. Once my stuff arrives, I'll have to find time to scan the cards, build and scan each of the new skirmish maps, and then input all of that data into the mod itself. That will probably take a few days, which need to fit into my already-busy schedule. So it's hard to say for sure, but it will likely take me a week or even longer to update the mod after all my stuff arrives in the mail. I'm sorry for that delay.

It won't take me very long to scan a few cards and input them. By far, the most time-consuming part of the process is building and scanning the maps, and I cannot start that until my stuff arrives in the mail. However, if someone can send me scans of the skirmish map sheets that come with each pack, that will help a LOT. The scans will need to have a high enough resolution that I can clearly see which tile goes where. If someone sends me those images it will allow me to start building and scanning those maps, so that hopefully I'll be able to finish the update within just a few days of my other stuff arriving.

Please send me a PM here if you can help. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.