Subject: 4 regions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zoltan Zoldi
Hungary
Érd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought an El Grande Decennial, and I am a beginner.
Trying to understand the rules, there is a sample game in it.
In the first round in his turn yellow chooses the action card:
"Special scoring: Score all the 4 regions".
The description says: ..."Then he chooses to score the 4 regions, i.e. Galicia, Catalonia and Seville."
I dont understand 2 things:
1. These are only 3 regions, not 4.
2. Why did he choose these 3 regions? He only have Caballeros in Catalonia, in Granada, and in Old Castile, so he scored the green, and the blue player as well.

Can anybody explain it to me?

Dont forget plz, I am a beginner.

Thanks in advance.

Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
zoldiz wrote:
I recently bought an El Grande Decennial, and I am a beginner.
Trying to understand the rules, there is a sample game in it.
In the first round in his turn yellow chooses the action card:
"Special scoring: Score all the 4 regions".
The description says: ..."Then he chooses to score the 4 regions, i.e. Galicia, Catalonia and Seville."
I dont understand 2 things:
1. These are only 3 regions, not 4.
2. Why did he choose these 3 regions? He only have Caballeros in Catalonia, in Granada, and in Old Castile, so he scored the green, and the blue player as well.

Can anybody explain it to me?

Dont forget plz, I am a beginner.

Thanks in advance.

Z

Score the four regions means, to score the regions with a value of four, rather than a total of four regions. The player didn't get to choose the regions to score. Only that those regions that had a value of four were to be scored.

Might be difficult to understand, especially if English is your second language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
You would score all the regions that award four points to the player who has the most caballeros in that region. If you look at the board, you will notice that each of the regions the sample game listed will have four symbols in the first square on the score board for that region.

You can find detailed descriptions of each of the action cards in the instruction booklet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the "4" regions (ie the regions which score 4 points for first place) can change during the game when people play the little mobile scoreboards, which is why it's expressed like this and not just as a list of region names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ron lee)
United States
baton rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
The picture on the card makes it clearer--it actually shows the score:

-------------
|* *| | |
|* *| | |
-------------

something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely spent a solid five minutes of scratching my head to figure out what the heck the sample game sheet was talking about with the whole "four regions" thing. Felt silly when I got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too! That through me for a loop. Helpful thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Butler
United States
Paynesville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was confused too, but I don't feel guilty or silly for not getting it. It's not my fault or yours. The sample game should have made a distinction between four (the number) and four(the value). It could have said "Score all the value-4 regions" or "Score only the value-4 regions."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knutsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very poor English. Just using quotes would have been much better: Score all the "4" regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.