Subject: Question for French Canadian convention goers. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Clark
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not sure if this is the right spot for this. If not could an administraitor please move it.

I wanted to take family to gencon, but wife has a vacation planned for that weekend she has had planned for a few years, so that won't happen. I live about an hour from Montreal and so was thinking of going with kids to Montreal Comic con or Anime convention. Problem is we don't speak French. If I do decide to go, how much of the programming at these cons is in French? Would it be worth if for an English speaker to go to a dominant French con?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montreal is a bilingual city, so does the majority of events taking place there.

As for the programming of these specific events, you may want to take a look online before you commit to the trip. It is most likely half and half but you may be disapointed if the half you are interested in ends up being in French...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keven
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been 2 years now that i go to the Montreal Comic-Con. If a guest speak english, their conference will be english too, as Afafard said, Montreal is bilingual, and so they invite some guest that are french but most of the guest still are english people. Same for the artist and store present. So just look at the programming and you will see, but im sure it wont be a problem for English only people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
talon4life wrote:

Problem is we don't speak French. If I do decide to go, how much of the programming at these cons is in French? Would it be worth if for an English speaker to go to a dominant French con?

I don't imagine you'll have much of a problem.

You may get addressed in French a few times, but if you simply reply that you can't speak French, odds are they'll switch to English. At least in the big cities, they're accustomed to dealing with a significant amount of English tourism from the States and from the English parts of Canada.

Signs will be printed in both languages, although French may be on top, so just remember to scan down to see if it's repeated in English below.

Whenever I go to Quebec, I try to speak French (when in Rome and all that), but half the time they'll just answer in English directly. I guess my accent could use some work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Clark
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah it was like that in Switzerland when I tried to speak German. I wish language learning wasn't so hard I'd just learn like the top 6 and be good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.