Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Tim Allen consolidated map for printing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Hi

What I wanted to do is to print a consolidated, single version of the Tim Allen map then laminate and mount it. I downloaded the Tim Allen map PDF files from VPG games. But when I paste them into MS Paint in order to join the two parts up, it is only pasting into MS Paint as 96 DPI, whereas I would like 300 DPI. Is there any way that I can achieve getting a single 300 DPI .PNG file of the Tim Allen map so that I can take to the printers?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slim17 wrote:
Hi

What I wanted to do is to print a consolidated, single version of the Tim Allen map then laminate and mount it. I downloaded the Tim Allen map PDF files from VPG games. But when I paste them into MS Paint in order to join the two parts up, it is only pasting into MS Paint as 96 DPI, whereas I would like 300 DPI. Is there any way that I can achieve getting a single 300 DPI .PNG file of the Tim Allen map so that I can take to the printers?


+1 to that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I don't think that we release 300 dpi quality work...

That's something we would have to check with Tim about...

Alan Emrich
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim allen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the problem is with MS Paint and not the PDF. From what I can gather, the PDF file IS already 300dpi. It must be converting downwards when this fellow is opening it in Paint.

The some sort of thing happens to me if I open up a PDF in Photoshop- I get an pop-up option to change the various settings before-hand, one of which is the dpi setting (which if I dont change it will default to 72dpi). If he simply took the PDF file as is to a printer they could print the map out at 300dpi onto two 11x17 pages.

If he really wants to put the two pages together in a png file first, then I guess he would have to figure out how to change the dpi import settings before he opens the pdf...assuming MS Paint even has that functionality.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
TimAllen wrote:
I suspect the problem is with MS Paint and not the PDF. From what I can gather, the PDF file IS already 300dpi. It must be converting downwards when this fellow is opening it in Paint.

The some sort of thing happens to me if I open up a PDF in Photoshop- I get an pop-up option to change the various settings before-hand, one of which is the dpi setting (which if I dont change it will default to 72dpi). If he simply took the PDF file as is to a printer they could print the map out at 300dpi onto two 11x17 pages.

If he really wants to put the two pages together in a png file first, then I guess he would have to figure out how to change the dpi import settings before he opens the pdf...assuming MS Paint even has that functionality.


Thanks for this. It makes a lot of sense - MS Paint is only a basic image editing suite. I definetely want to join the map together before printing. I will try this today and report back.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slim17 wrote:
TimAllen wrote:
I suspect the problem is with MS Paint and not the PDF. From what I can gather, the PDF file IS already 300dpi. It must be converting downwards when this fellow is opening it in Paint.

The some sort of thing happens to me if I open up a PDF in Photoshop- I get an pop-up option to change the various settings before-hand, one of which is the dpi setting (which if I dont change it will default to 72dpi). If he simply took the PDF file as is to a printer they could print the map out at 300dpi onto two 11x17 pages.

If he really wants to put the two pages together in a png file first, then I guess he would have to figure out how to change the dpi import settings before he opens the pdf...assuming MS Paint even has that functionality.


Thanks for this. It makes a lot of sense - MS Paint is only a basic image editing suite. I definetely want to join the map together before printing. I will try this today and report back.


Try downloading GIMP, it is a free, open-source graphics editor that is very similar to photoshop. Will definitely be able to achieve what you are looking to do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim allen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GIMP is great. 90% of what Photoshop does, GIMP will do for free. The only thing is, as with any powerful software tool, it can be a bit hard to figure out at first. But it is well worth the effort.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TimAllen wrote:
GIMP is great. 90% of what Photoshop does, GIMP will do for free. The only thing is, as with any powerful software tool, it can be a bit hard to figure out at first. But it is well worth the effort.


I am a huge fan of open-source. GIMP is probably my most used software. I am also a big fan of Blender, open-source 3d modeling and animation. Can do most of what MAYA can do for free instead of costing several thousand dollars.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim allen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really must learn to use Blender sometime. I have been messing around with Doga3L for 3D stuff but although its super simple to use, its also limited in what you can do; you have to use pre-built parts and it doesnt allow you to make your own bits or even import. Still its fun to play with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TimAllen wrote:
I really must learn to use Blender sometime. I have been messing around with Doga3L for 3D stuff but although its super simple to use, its also limited in what you can do; you have to use pre-built parts and it doesnt allow you to make your own bits or even import. Still its fun to play with.


I have been teaching myself blender over the last year or so. It is very powerful software. Full 3d sculpting and texturing, animation, compositing, motion tracking and more. It is quite a bit to wrap your head around initially, but once you get a grasp of the interface it starts to come quickly. There are lots of excellent tutorials online. I started with some simple tutorial driven projects and worked my way up. Just recently completed my first full 3d character with an animated walk cycle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
An update of my progress...

I discovered that copy and pasting from PDF into Photoshop was making the image 72 DPI. So I think the Windows clipboard was the culprit becaause when I opened the PDF directly into Photoshop I got the correct 300 DPI.

So I now have a consolidated 300 DPI .PSD file. I have received Tim Allen's permission to upload this in case other people might want it.

The only problem is that it is 360MB in size!! I think that I can apply some processing to reduce the file size without compromising quality... Will report back...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ramsey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
MT-

I've produced a .png version of side A at 7263 x 5616 - file size is 44.1MB.

The trick is to blow the pdf up to 150% and then use the "take a snapshot" function under edit to select an entire page at a time that you can paste into microsoft paint.

I've gotten some really high resolution images from pdf files using this technique.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Forgues
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hey, were you able to upload the consolidated version? How does it look once laminated?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Forgues
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
So I was able to consolidate the two maps into one with photoshop. Preserved the 300dpi quality, printed it at a local print shop in 18"x24 (Their standard print sizes) and I got to say it looks amazing! So much easier to see the components on the map, easier to move the pawns etc. What a great map!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
HandyGeek wrote:
MT-

I've produced a .png version of side A at 7263 x 5616 - file size is 44.1MB.

The trick is to blow the pdf up to 150% and then use the "take a snapshot" function under edit to select an entire page at a time that you can paste into microsoft paint.

I've gotten some really high resolution images from pdf files using this technique.


Hi Steve

Thanks for sending me this and for taking the time to help. The DPI was only 72 on this image file so I decided to wait and see if we can get a 300DPI image instead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
maxforgues13 wrote:
So I was able to consolidate the two maps into one with photoshop. Preserved the 300dpi quality, printed it at a local print shop in 18"x24 (Their standard print sizes) and I got to say it looks amazing! So much easier to see the components on the map, easier to move the pawns etc. What a great map!


Hi Max

I was also able to consolidate the maps in Photoshop at 300DPI. I sought and received permission from Tim Allen to upload it to the files section. But then I discovered that the file was massive at 365MB - too big to upload. Did you manage to get a smaller file size than this? If so you may wish to upload the file?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Forgues
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hey, my file is also a huge 300 mb. I was able to print it at a shop in poster size but cost me just as much as the actual game...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.